• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Doc's Unexpected 2014 Glog - Pictures as requested

Hey all!  I'm back!  (like a bad cold... ;) )

Hope all is well with everyone.  I haven't looked at anyone else's glogs yet, but I decided I'd go ahead and throw out what is going on here.

Some may remember we moved into a new pad last September.  Some may also remember that my grow last year got overrun by bugs and was essentially gone.  I saved what peppers I could in the freezer, but given all the aphid, whitefly, and mite damage, I turned off the water and said goodbye to my plants in September, 2013.  I had a lot of peppers in the freezer, so I decided I was going to take this year off from growing anything.

A couple of months ago, I took a trip back over to the old house as I need to finish the renovations so we can get it on the market.  I was walking through the back yard and was stunned by something:  about 30-some plants still were alive.  Mind you, there was no effort to over-winter these, at all.  They received no water, they were not sprayed with insecticide, they were not taken out of the weather when we had a freeze.  But, nevertheless, they were alive.

I loaded the living ones in the back of my truck and brought them to the new house.  I pruned them back, watered them, and watched.  That was a couple of months ago.  Since them, I've given them a few rounds of ferts.  A few died after receiving some care!  Oh well.

So, I indeed have a grow this year.  I have no idea how far it will go, which ones will survive, and how much they will produce.  Ideally, I should put them in larger (10 gal) pants and let the roots expand, as they are badly rootbound, but I just don't have time.  In addition to my full-time job as a general surgeon, I was voted Chairman of Surgery at my hospital for a two year term, which takes a significant chunk of time after hours. 

Anyway, so who survived?  Well, this is not a complete list, but off the top of my head:  Pimenta de Nedye, C. chacoense, Yellow Rocoto, Trinidad Perfume, Aji Dulce, Yellow Hablokia, Chocolate Bhut, Black Naga, 7 Pot Gigantic, Primo, 7 Pot Brain, Trinidad Scorpion, Datil, Big Jim, Sepia Serpent, PI281317, not-PI281317, Blonde, Malawi Peppadew, Aji Amarillo, Aji Pineapple, not-HP22B, Butch T, Variegatta, Peach Habanero, Rapires F-1, Fresno, Jamaican Yellow Mushroom, Yellow Hablokia.  That is 30...it might be a complete list.  Anyway, a nice variety with plenty of supers, sweets, and in-betweens.  I've already gotten a handful of ripe chacoenses.  I've got green chiles on a few of the plants, and a number are just starting to flower. I found four hornworms a couple of days ago.  They squirt when they are stepped on.  :D

I'll be checking in irregularly, but I was so surprised at all of this that I thought I would post it.  I hope everyone is having a stellar grow this year.    

Brent

Wow Brent... I'm amazed (and a little jealous) that you were able to OW so many plants without even trying! I tried to OW 4 plants and only managed to keep 2 alive. Ii can understand that free time is in short supply for you right now, but I'd purely love to see pics if you can make it happen! Did you leave the plants in their pots or replant in-ground at your new place?

Take care my friend, and good luck with the rest of 2014!

what up doc.  glad you back glad all is well.

yup just goes to show you that we mess with nature too much sometimes.   them plants only needed to sit and be left alone.  

Slizarus said:
Wow, pretty awesome they dry farmed themselves and over freezes too! Good luck, hope they produce well this summer.

Thanks, Slizarus.  I'm guessing the bugs didn't overwinter as well as the plants. 

stickman said:
Wow Brent... I'm amazed (and a little jealous) that you were able to OW so many plants without even trying! I tried to OW 4 plants and only managed to keep 2 alive. Ii can understand that free time is in short supply for you right now, but I'd purely love to see pics if you can make it happen! Did you leave the plants in their pots or replant in-ground at your new place?

Take care my friend, and good luck with the rest of 2014!

Thank you, Rick.  Like you said in your response on your glog, it must be the So Cal winters.  We had some freezes this past winter, but nothing that would be a hard freeze.  It was nothing I did, honestly.  The plants deserve the credit.  They must have good genes.  When I saw them alive, if for no other reason, I felt they deserved a chance since they had survived without me.  They are still in the grow bags they were in.  Glad you were able to get a couple to OW, yourself.  I will try to get some pics up later today.  Also, we are still working on that bag of Gochu powder you sent me!  Good stuff!  My wife uses it in cooking very frequently.  I've also got a number of bags of chilis in the freezer and recently have fired up the dehydrator.  Just finished 14 trays and plan to load up another 14 trays this weekend.  My wife needs room in the freezer.  ;) 

You take care, as well, and I'll try to get a glimpse at what you have going on at Casa Stickman! 

sicman said:
what up doc.  glad you back glad all is well.

yup just goes to show you that we mess with nature too much sometimes.   them plants only needed to sit and be left alone.  

Hey Sicman, hope all is well with you.  Haven't seen your glog yet, but are you growing acres of Scorpions again this year?  I agree with you about being a minimalist when it comes to intervention on the plants.  It is easy to kill them with love.  :)  Take care and keep rockin'!

Devv said:
Glad to see you Brent!

Looking forward to some eye candy ;)

And congrats on your Chairman position too!
Thanks, Devv!  You too!  Regarding the Chairmanship, I'm not sure if it's congrats or condolences...lol.  Not sure about eye candy, as they still look a bit rough...you'll see.

GA Growhead said:
Good to see you Doc!
You too, Jason!

JoeFish said:
Love to see some pictures too.  Cool story.
Thanks, JoeFish!

gasificada said:
Dr Rock, wb, mate. Congrats on the Chairman gig!
Hey Gassy! Hope you had a great grow this past year.  FWIW, my Curry Leaf Tree died... :(  The next one will go in the ground. 

Jeff H said:
Good to see you again Brent.

We need pics and lots of them.
Thanks Jeff, you too!  Pics below. 

I think my Rocotos died...bummer.  Oh well, I thought they were dead a few months ago.  I took these pics back on July 12th, when I saw people wanted pics.  Unfortunately, the battery in my camera died.  I plugged it in, but just now got around to uploading the photos.  The plants have filled in some since then, and there are more peppers on some plants, now.  But these pics show the trunks and the regrowth.  Anyway, there are 10 pics, but no bump necessary, as I only took 10 pics.  :)  I recognize the plants are not pretty.  Just posting the photos since so many said they wanted me to. :)

C. chacoense

Malawi Peppadew

Aji Pineapple

Fresno (they are ripening now)

7 Pot Gigantic

The plants in your pic may be rough looking now, but I'm sure they'll fill out for you with time and care... assuming you have the time to spend on them. Congrats on your chair post doc, and drive on!

Jamison said:
Damn Doc,  long time no see!  How'd the move and everything go?  Glad to see you back around!!!
Thanks, Jamison!  Hope all is well with that "red" soil!  I saw your pulls.  I think it is.

stickman said:
The plants in your pic may be rough looking now, but I'm sure they'll fill out for you with time and care... assuming you have the time to spend on them. Congrats on your chair post doc, and drive on!
They already are, Rick.  Thanks.  I thought you might like the Aji Omnicolor in one of my pics.  It is the most loaded with pods, and I know you like that one (not quite as much as the gochus, but almost).  ;)

Back