• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Does a non-vinegary / non-sweet Cayenne pepper sauce exist?

Hi All,

I'm a Habenero man myself, love the Gringo Bandito, but I've been reading about the healthy benefits of Cayenne (red chili) peppers, so I'd like to give them a chance.

The only problem is, every cayenne pepper sauce I've ever tasted is either sweet, or its like drinking vinegar. Perhaps its a function of the pepper itself, but does a medium to hot, non sweet cayenne sauce exist?

BTW, a long time ago, I went to Costa Rica and had arguably the best cayenne sauce ever. I'm pretty sure it was homemade, but it had chunks of garlic, cilantro, onions and tomatoes. It was slightly thick, somewhat hot, but had no sweetness or vinegary taste. I could kick myself for not asking more about it.. then again, I wasn't too into hot sauces back then either!

I'm open to all suggestions! Looking at the HotSauce.com, there's a few that caught my eye.. any thoughts?

Iguana Red Cayenne Pepper Sauce,
Bayou Butt Burner Hot Sauce,
Deathwish Cayenne Hot Sauce,
Cajohn's Killer Cayenne Hot Sauce,
Mr. Blister's Garlic Extreme Hot Sauce,
See Jane On Fire "Burn Jane Burn" Hot Sauce,

Thanks!
Ben

Get CaJohn's Cayenne Puree, 80% pepper solids. Keep in mind, all hot peppers have that health benifit you are looking for, not just Cayenne ;)

As much as I don't like to give them too many plugs
Byron Bay chilli co red cayenne sauce would be about spot on for this.

Out of the ones you selected, Bayou Butt Burner is a THPA 07 winner, so I'd have to say you can't lose there.

Welcome to the site.

if i was told to pick one from your list, CaJohn's for sure. he also has a cayenne puree as well. if you don't want to drink vinegar, that may be a good starting point.

Sounds good!

The Byron Bay chilli sauce isn't sold at HotSauce.com, so I'll get that on the next go around. For now, I'll start with the CaJohn, and the Bayou.. and maybe a couple more if makes sense shipping wise :)

Also, I don't think I'll be able to resist and most likely will open all the bottles at once...

Anyone know what the shelf life, typically is once opened? I notice some of sauces don't have any preservatives, yet they contain some ingredients (tomatoes, carrots, etc) that could conceivable go bad once aired?

I would think 18 months to 2 years if refrigerated, depending on howold the stock was initially you'll get through them before there bad I waould think.
Byron Bay co won twice for thisone at the scorvies in the lousiana section, i THINK? iDUNNO HOW AS ITS NOT A VINEGRETTE.
Anyhow it should be fairly cheap even in us worth giving it a lash.

thehotpepper.com said:
Out of the ones you selected, Bayou Butt Burner is a THPA 07 winner, so I'd have to say you can't lose there.

by chance do you or anyone else have a opinion on these 2 sauces
bayou blow torch
bayou love potion #9 (looks really seedy & small garlic pieces)

I'm not opening them yet until I use up some other bottles of hot sauce, but I'm curious if I can look foward to them or use them before some other sauces.

imaguitargod:

I read your review of the Fiery Foods Festival in Ohio..

http://www.thehotzoneonline.com/2009/02/24/passow-takes-a-chile-head-to-the-north-market-–-part-2/

it seems like a blast! Hopefully, some chili / hot-sauce tasting show will come to the So. Cal area.. I'd love to try some of the real hot stuff and get to know my chilis. The festivals I've read about seem to be held only in Texas or Ohio.. and I think New mexico.

Also, in that chili pepper quiz you won, do you remember any of the questions they asked? It seems like a fun thing to do at the next bbq!

enliteneer said:
Hey, thanks for reading it! It's so much fun covering events like that.

enliteneer said:
it seems like a blast! Hopefully, some chili / hot-sauce tasting show will come to the So. Cal area.. I'd love to try some of the real hot stuff and get to know my chilis. The festivals I've read about seem to be held only in Texas or Ohio.. and I think New mexico.
While it isn't an event, there is a really good hot sauce shop in Los Angeles located in The Grove (West Hollywood I think).

enliteneer said:
Also, in that chili pepper quiz you won, do you remember any of the questions they asked? It seems like a fun thing to do at the next bbq!
They were things like, "What are the two most common species of peppers in the United States", differences between "Piquin, Pequin, and Pipin", "Chile, Chilli, and chili", stuff like that. Very fun.

Back