• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Does anyone else use a wireless indoor / outdoor thermometer? Help!

I have just bought myself a wireless thermometer....which comprises of a unit which sits indoors, and a remote unit that lives outdoors and *should* give a correct display of both indoor and outdoor temperature. But i have found that no matter where i have tried placing the outdoor sensor, it always seems to be reading well above what the current temperature is outdoors. (i am using a local weather website to compare)
I just wondered if anyone else uses one of these and if they have found the same....or if they have found a good position for the outdoor sensor to get a more accurate reading?

Thanks

I have one in my covered garden. I have it hanging from the top about halfway. Because of the plastic covering it, it stays out of direct sunlight. I can only assume that is what is causing your issue.

I have one in my covered garden. I have it hanging from the top about halfway. Because of the plastic covering it, it stays out of direct sunlight. I can only assume that is what is causing your issue.
Thanks JAG....i have a feeling i might have to tinker a bit! I have tried in the direct sunlight / in the shade...but it always seems to display wildy above what it actually is... The indoor sensor seems accurate though!

We were gifted a L.L.Bean indoor/outdoor unit. I believe it was made by La Crosse Technology. We have used it for about 5 years and are very satisfied. Finding the best location for the remote sensor for accurate readings took a little trial and error. We finally placed it on the north side of a 4"x4" deck post, out of direct sun exposure.

Sometimes the color of the sensor unit itself, can add to temp readings, absorbing heat from sunlight.

Take both the probe and the display to your grow area and see if the temps sync. You will know if you have a faulty component if they don't line up.

We use two in our greenhouse, placed in different positions. We get spikes as the sun moves, etc. Most "weather station" style meters are modest in their accuracy.

If one is controlling fans or components based on temperature, one may want to invest in higher quality temp controls etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Chris

I have a model that has the weather channel logo on it and seems to be accurate and works pretty good. Tells the temp and humidity.

Yes, It MUST be in the shade. Testing it like AH said is a good idea. You can bring the outdoor sensor inside to test as well.

We had a model that told temp and humidity, one summer I put it in the sun for kicks.
It soared to 137°. In the shade it was 95°.
Since then we upgraded to one that has wind speed also and the temp sensor is inside the unit that measures wind speed (protected from direct sunlight).

You might also want to check on the sensor unit and the manual, if you can calibrate it yourself.
I'm not sure if that's possible, but the way to calibrate cooking thermometers is with Ice and water, since 32° (or 0°)
is really the only known temperature.

Good luck!

We have one with the sensor placed inside our covered entry way to the front door and it seems to stay pretty accurate - like others have said just be sure it stays out of the sun.

Back