• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Does anyone here know if there such thing as a "chocolate scorpion"?

Seeds were labeled as lemon lime scorpion from peppers by mail. They look to be the correct shape but the wrong color. They've set on the vine for quite a while and I don't think they will turn from their current color. I've left a bunch on just in case it's me not being patient, but wondering if anyone here has experience with these. 

Link to original seeds: http://www.peppersbymail.com/product/trinidad-scorpion-lemon-lime-seeds/

Attachments

• 20190925_125102.jpg
    20190925_125102.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 131
Lemon Lime Scorpion seems to be a fairly new variety, so I would imagine that it is likely still unstable. My best guess is that the color change is likely the result of instability in the strain. Mislabeled seeds or accidental cross-pollination are also possible. But if AJ Drew sent you seeds labeled Lemon Lime Scorpion, then I would feel pretty confident that those seeds were taken from actual Lemon Lime Scorpion pods.

Oh, and the chocolate color happens when a red pod retains chlorophyll when ripe, so I wouldn't bother leaving them on the plant for an extended period hoping that they will turn yellow. 

Alright, thanks for the comments! Since the consensus is that it isn't going to change color beyond that, I went ahead and picked all the ones that had already turned that color. As you can see, that plant appears to be a happy plant. I may just grow out the seeds and see what happens. I have another plant that is a little bit behind this one and none of the pods have ripened yet. Maybe it will show the correct color. Either way, I'm just happy to have some peppers and just wanted to know others thoughts. So thanks for commenting @BlackFatalii and @Walchit

Attachments

• 20190925_174440.jpg
    20190925_174440.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 118
BlackFatalii said:
Lemon Lime Scorpion seems to be a fairly new variety, so I would imagine that it is likely still unstable. My best guess is that the color change is likely the result of instability in the strain. Mislabeled seeds or accidental cross-pollination are also possible. But if AJ Drew sent you seeds labeled Lemon Lime Scorpion, then I would feel pretty confident that those seeds were taken from actual Lemon Lime Scorpion pods.

Oh, and the chocolate color happens when a red pod retains chlorophyll when ripe, so I wouldn't bother leaving them on the plant for an extended period hoping that they will turn yellow. 
A little off topic here, but..  I have a Bird's Eye that goes chocolate right before it turns red. Is that unusual? My chocolate Habs go right from green to dark chocolate to coco, never any hint of clean red.

Back