• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Does anyone use seasoning peppers?

I just got back from St. Lucia again and managed to bring back a bag full of seasoning peppers. I am growing them this year but no pods as yet. We use this pepper as a seasoning in all meals and I am surprised that it has not caught on at all in other parts of the world. It is an essential part of all Caribbean dishes and we would use 4-5 pods per dish and then one scotch bonnet or bonda ma jaque for heat.

Here is a picture of the bounty!

That $23.50 is XCD and would be $8.65 USD. That is for 2.24 KG of seasoning peppers.

I also picked up some grace jerk seasoning which in my opinion is the best and i found jerk flavored hot sauce!!

Yeah we get them green mainly with a couple ripe pods. The ripe pods rot very quickly and the green still has great flavour and holds texture better.

I haven't had any with "seasoning" in the name. However, I've grown Trinidad Perfumes a couple years, which may have a certain similarity, as they are very mild. However, I really don't care for them in savory dishes. I usually candy them, though, and they are GREAT candied! Have you used the perfumes, and if so, how?

I assume these have no heat?

You would add them just for the fresh pepper taste? Like we would use a bell pepper in the states?

Exactly Jeff!! It has no heat at all. I am growing Trinidad perfumes this year to try them out but I have grown Tobago seasoning peppers and they are the same as our seasoning pepper. Every island seems to use them in many dishes. I have been sharing the seeds out for these for a while on the forums so hopefully more people will start to use them. I will also be harvesting the seeds from the ripe pods in this bunch to share out also.

i love most types in this catagory

i use them very often, i dont have to grow them because i have a friend who grows fields full of them every year

my favs are

ST LUCIA RED
GRENADA YELLOW
TRINIDAD PERFUME
SWEET HABANERO
ZAVORY

i like them in alot of dishes, they also make a interesting no heat sauce "NOT SAUCE"

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

Well these are all St. Lucia red. Thanks for the input Joe. Does your friend sell fresh pods? I would be interested in purchasing large quantities if he has them available as my cooking has been suffering considerably since my move to the USA 5 years ago.

I love the Tobago seasoning ( look the same) and they have been really dependable producers for me. They have a hab taste and I can cook for my wife using them as they dont add heat. A top 5 for me.

Well these are all St. Lucia red. Thanks for the input Joe. Does your friend sell fresh pods? I would be interested in purchasing large quantities if he has them available as my cooking has been suffering considerably since my move to the USA 5 years ago.
YOUR WELCOME

YES HE DOES!! they should be ready in September sometime

please pm me i will send you his info

thanks your friend joe

I have seeds from Dan sowed and can`t wait to get peppers! Most of my family do not like heat, but I think they are missing out on some great flavours, hence I`m growing St Lucia red and yellow seasoning, Trinidad perfume, Tobago seasoning and Trinidad scorpion sweet. I`m looking forward to these easily as much as anything I`m growing!

I'm growing Trinidad Perfume first time this year, I promised my wife I'd find a habanero-like pepper with no heat :P Luckily I see this peppers realy are a treat.

I'm growing zavory habs this year. What's the flavor like?
kind of a cross between a mild Habanero and the fruitiness of aji peppers, very tasty and im sure you wont be sorry you grew them
also flavor is rather subjective so you may find other things about them i didn't, i also grow them every year in memory of my late niece Amanda they where her favorite
thanks your friend joe

I'm growing Trinidad Perfume first time this year, I promised my wife I'd find a Habanero-like pepper with no heat :P Luckily I see this peppers realy are a treat.
there wonderful and have a slight Fatalii flavor,more to the Habanero side flavor wise they actually are a habanero in almost every sense of the word except for heat

Okay I just harvested seeds from 5 ripe pods. Pm me for anyone who wants to send out SASBE for St. Lucia red seasoning and I will also through some bird peppers and mixed island seeds also. I just minced up most of the peppers with 5 onions, 3 heads of garlic and some green onion. I then put two large spoons into individual sandwich bags and twist into a ball in the corner, tie it off and freeze. Then when I am making a pelau or stewed chicken or something, I pull a bag out and drop the frozen ball of seasoning mix into the bottom to cook up. Works amazingly and saves from having to cut up onions and garlic. I then just add black pepper and salt to taste and whatever other ingredients are needed.

aji dulce's were my best selling pepper at my markets last year... people love them once they know what they are and i'm the only one selling them around here. i'm growing 6 types of seasoning peppers this year- about 300 plants total.

aji dulce pimento cheese rules.

Here are pics to accompany my explanation of how I prepare them and store for cooking.

null_zpsd55a2acd.jpg

null_zps84ea97f8.jpg

And into the freezer.

To all curious about Trinidad Perfumes, I found them to be outliers flavor wise.

To my tastebuds they are different from habanero's, bonnets and seasoning peppers. A different type of sweet, texture and aftertaste, nothing bad though. Because of this i personally wouldn't call it a "mild habanero". I have read that some prefer it fresh, and others prefer it as powder.

But don't let my description stop anyone from growing them, they are unique and there's so many ways you can use them in the kitchen.

This post has me salivating. I must eat about 200 red bells a year and one of the reasons I started growing was to find an upgrade for everyday seasoning. I am growing Aji Dulces, Trinidad Perfume, Trinidad Seasoning, Trinidad Smooth, and Tobago Seasoning this year - planning to grow Dan's Santa Lucia Seasoning (thx Dan) and Zavory next year. It's very cool to see the flavor notes from y'all.

If anyone is growing Zavory this year, I would love to score some F2 seed to see how it dehybridizes. If you have some, or expect to have some, please ping me.

One more question: do the Santa Lucia Red and Yellow taste different?

I made some pepper flakes from tobago seasoning peppers last year. They are awsome on just about everything. Making more this year.

Back