• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Does Neem Oil Expire?

I made a large amount of a mix of neem oil, water, and some soap. I didnt use the whole thing. Im just gonna leave it in the spray bottle and Im wondering if this would still be good a week from now?

I made a large amount of a mix of neem oil, water, and some soap. I didnt use the whole thing. Im just gonna leave it in the spray bottle and Im wondering if this would still be good a week from now?

It should be fine but it may separate a little after sitting for a while.

Simply make sure you give a good shake before you use it again. (I would also recommend rinsing the spray part of your bottle with clean water because Neem can go a little gluggy)

That's a good question MBS.

Went and checked a couple of Neem containers that were lying around and on one label it said:

Note: Spray within 8 hours of mixing and keep away from sunlight.

So it does sound like it's effectiveness, once mixed, diminishes with exposure to time and light...you might want to use up your current batch and mix up a smaller batch in a week. ;)

What are you trying to control, or is the Neem used for preventative measures? :cool:

dvg

That's a good question MBS.

Went and checked a couple of Neem containers that were lying around and on one label it said:

Note: Spray within 8 hours of mixing and keep away from sunlight.

So it does sound like it's effectiveness, once mixed, diminishes with exposure to time and light...you might want to use up your current batch and mix up a smaller batch in a week. ;)

What are you trying to control, or is the Neem used for preventative measures? :cool:

dvg

It depends on your type of neem and/or brand. If you store it in a dark cool environment for a week it is just as effective in my experience.
I have a neem product (Called Eco-Neem made by eco-growth in WA) which is UV stabilised (and 100% organic and approved as an organic input) and lasts and is effective for 28 days on plants once sprayed so I can't see how it would expire within a week in a spray bottle??

Store it in a cool environment, shake it well and you'll be fine, i do it all the time without issues (i use natural cold extracted pure oil and make my own mix).

Cya

Datil

Ok, so will a high concentration of neem oil burn my plants? i was using a fabreeze spray bottle and i put 1 and a half spoons of neem oil and some dishwashing soap. i fill the bottle with water but not all the way to the top. is this too much?

Ok, so will a high concentration of neem oil burn my plants? i was using a fabreeze spray bottle and i put 1 and a half spoons of neem oil and some dishwashing soap. i fill the bottle with water but not all the way to the top. is this too much?

High concentrations of anything burn leaves. Best advice is to read the instructions and divide in half again (1/2 dilution rate) to be safe until you are sure it is not affecting your plants adversely (Some are even more cautious and advise 1/4 dilution rates stated, its up to you.)

Did you get all the fabreeze out? Like ALL of it?

Back