• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Doing it wrong? All peppers taste like bell with heat.

Ok everyone - I need some help here.

Last year, grew a bunch of different peppers - same with this. I think I remember the same thing last year - the peppers I tried, Tam Jalepeno, Serrano Del sol, Mariachi, Alma paprika, Black hungarian, Chimayo yadda yadda - All taste like bell peppers with different heat. I will say - the Cayennes I have this year taste differnt - a thin skinned pepper. Do all meaty peppers maybe taste the same? Maybe I didn't let other pepper ripen enough?

I'm growing in the ground, So they're not saturated in water

If you pick them green, they will all taste green. I would leave them on the plant until they are their mature color. I know with some of my plants, if there is even a little green on the pod, the whole thing tastes like it.

that's because your a rookie, try Hot Lemon, you ain't gonna say it taste like no yellow bell.

ceyenne, superchili, goatsweed nothing like red bell.
some types of jalapeno/serano may have some green bell overtones if eatin' green.
Fresno is similar to red bell with kick and sweetness.

its time to move away from annuums grasshopper, habs taste nothing like bells and will grab you by the short and curlies and make a man out of ya!

I have to suffer through red/yellow/orange bells EVERYNIGHT because that is all the wife can handle, then I reach into my special stock and bam! kick it up a notch.

Today I ate a hot hungrian wax, it was bland and terrible with no heat, right behind it was a freshly picked ceyenne, that caused a bit of sweat.

Saskatoon is only a 10 hour drive from Calgary, I will give a few places to pick up some fresh Scotch Bonnets that will make your prairie grass burn.

When were you picking them? Did you let them ripen? Or did you pick them when they were still immature/green/small?

Burning Colon,
Should start an anti-HHW club. I grew that dang thing again this year and feel I wasted valuable garden space... The pods are just sitting on the plant because I feel no emotional attachment to that boring tasteless pepper. Mine have heat, but the taste is boring.

Its midnight and I am still pissed with the HHW and I tried it at 4pm. it was big, at least 5 inches, nice yellow and perfect for harvesting, so I picked it.
April, May, June, July in/out, in/out, every evening and morning, sometimes I would put my plants out in the morning and by noon have to rush them inside to avoid a hail storm, then back outside.
There was a small, very small detectable heat right in the very heart of the placenta but no hurt, knowing when I look at my goats weed, bright shiney red and I say to myself, should I popped this fella whole into my yapper or slice it into pieces, knowing the hurt I am going to feel.

Now, one of my hot portugals is almost ready to be picked, I purchased this one because I forgot what hot portugal tasted like.

Thanks for the responses everyone - I appreciate it!

Ok - I'll let them ripen!

One thing that confuses me - Jalepeno. You always see them green, eat them green - Do they have to be a more 'ripe' version of green? haha

Jon

Thanks for the responses everyone - I appreciate it!

Ok - I'll let them ripen!

One thing that confuses me - Jalepeno. You always see them green, eat them green - Do they have to be a more 'ripe' version of green? haha

Jon

wait til they cork (exhibit stripes as if they are breaking apart almost) while still green if you're into that.

They taste so much better when ripened red though :-P

There is a stage called "ripe green" when there should be lots of heat and better flavor, and most seeds should be viable. Not all jalapenos cork but they should turn a slightly different shade of green when "ripe green"

It takes a lot of patience to grow Jalapenos to ripe. They seem to hang there and taunt you. LOL
Just ignore them and one day you'll notice them trying to get your attention by turning red.
I pick Hungarians when they go slightly orange or a very dull yellow.

I live in SE Pennsylvania, and don't harvest Habaneros until mid August--depending on variety and weather. Talk about patience... I see those big brutal looking things and just want to start picking. I think the fastest peppers I've grown are Super Chili's. Those are awesome hot peppers and keep you busy. I grow a variety so I'm not waiting until the end of summer to start picking.

Right now my Chocolate Habs are about 4' tall, very bushy and covered with huge pods. Some have gone ripe, so it's getting close.

Back