• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Doing the Rib Thing

Decided to try smoking some ribs in my Weber gas grill just for the fun and taste of it.

3.5 lbs of pork loin ribs. Oh my!

IMG_5216re.jpg

This shot is after the rub went on. I used fresh black pepper, crushed red pepper, brown sugar, ground mustard seed, onion and garlic powders and a dash of sea salt. Daughter isn't a fan of the heat so I used the Trinidad Congo pepper to season mine after cooking.

IMG_5220cre.jpg

And finally, after four hours at 225F. I cranked the heat to 350 the last five minutes or so to help carmelize the sauce. I didn't want it on too thick either so it wouldn't overpower the smoke flavoring. Happy to say it didn't.

IMG_5224rcre.jpg

For the smoke flavoring I used Jack Daniels chips from old whiskey barrels. Couple of pieces of charcoal and the soaked chips in a small smoke box in a corner of the grill. Worked wonderfully.

they look incredible Patrick...

Thanks for the kind words all.

I think I'll be doing this again and again. Very little shrinkage of the meat and when I started cutting three rib pieces off the juice was just flowing. I stuck an instant read thermometer in them prior to taking them off the grill and when it hit 171F (and still climbing) off they came.

The meat wasn't falling off the bone but any denture wearers needn't worry about forgetting their poly-grip.

Best rack of ribs I believe I've ever cooked/smoked.

Back