Don't Panic! 2020 - The Year of the Covid

I'd been keeping a text-only Glog for myself on my computer.  I figured I might as well add some pictures, and share it with everyone here on THP.

Here's my current grow list for the year:

Annuums

Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (3)
About 5 or 10 years ago, a friend bought some peppers at a farmer's market in Connecticut.  He brought them back down here, and offered them to his neighbor, who is an avid gardener.  He gave me some seedlings about 5 years ago, and I've been growing them from saved seed since.

Junk Yard Mutt F3 (3)
One of my Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms crossed with something (I think a Banana Pepper), and I've been playing around with growing out the cross.

Sri Lankan Chili Red (3)
From PepperGuru for the 2019 GrowDown ThrowDown

Orange Thai (3)
From a SFRB of peppers I got from PepperGuru in 2018.

Allepo (2)
From the YAMRacer754 (and Edmick before that, I think) via Jeffcontonio's Seed Train that goes around each year.

Cajun Bell (2)
Saved seed from a local friend.

Jalapeno (3):  Random saved seed.

Utility Cayenne (3):
From saved seed.  I've been growing this variety for so long, I've forgotten where I got this variety originally.

NuMex 6-4 (1): Refining Fire Chili's

Chinense

Aji Jobito (2): White Hot Peppers.
Aji Margariteño (1): White Hot Peppers.
Bahamian Goat (2): White Hot Peppers.
P. Dreadie (2)
Saved seed originally from a SFRB of peppers I got from Annie57 (THP user name).
 
Trippaul Threat (2)
These seeds wound a crooked path from PaulG originally.  I got a PDNxBMJ seedling from Sawyer two years ago, and have been saving seed since.
 
Purple Thunder BJh2 (2): PaulG
Purple Thunder BJh Mystery (2): PaulG

Other

PGPG Sausage Pepper (F2) (3)
From PaulG.  This was one of the crossed Sri Lankan Chili Red varieties from PepperGuru for the 2019 GrowDown ThrowDown.

Volunteers (4):  I can't resist giving a chance to at least a few of the peppers that spontaneously spring up in my beds each year.

Stump Peppers (3-4):  These rascals just won't die.
 
 
Most of my peppers are in raised beds.  I have seven pepper plants in each bed.  One in the center, and a hexagon of plants arranged around the edge.  I know this is too dense, and the plants would grow better if they had more room.  But every year I succumb to the temptation of wanting to grow more plants than I have space for.
 
It's also very shady, but that's what I've got to work with.
 
Here's my main growing area:
 
iHgyGI5.jpg

 
And a small raised bed tucked into the back of my lot:
 
tYYF1BA.jpg
 
I've been growing out a few examples of an unknown cross of a Sri Lankan Chili Red that I got from PaulG.  I've been calling them PGPG Sausage peppers.
 
Since the Sri Lankan Chili Red is an Annuum, I was surprised to find these plants are showing distinctive traits of Chinenses.  There's multiple pods per node, the distinctive constricted calyx, and there's a distinctive Chinense flavor when I taste them.
 
Also, this F2 generation is all over the place, and doesn't look much like PaulG's F1 generation.  Quite a lot of variation.  It seems to have lost the pod shape that inspired the "sausage" label.
 
Na9pI7V.jpg

 
xCHbEcB.jpg

 
The first two are putting out quite a few peppers (one red variety, and one yellow variety).
 
But the third one hasn't even set the first pod yet.
 
4cPNSdp.jpg

 
It's been entertaining growing this cross out, but I'm scratching my head a little trying to figure out where to go with this cross.
 
Edit for PT!
 
no-matter-how-hard-you-try-you-will-never-be-as-cool-as-this-duck_o_2249161.jpg
 
My biggest pest problem this year is turning out to be some large critter nibbling on my peppers. I think it's a possum, but I've never caught the creature red-handed.  It's mostly going after "pointy" peppers like my Cayennes and my Sri Lankan Chili Reds. It won't eat them green. But I'll only get maybe a day after they rippen up before their partially eaten.
 
Kdg46ZF.jpg

 
 
Based on a suggestion I found elsewhere on this forum, I'm trying out some Blood Meal.
 
JjCSwm5.jpg

 
It's just a weak fertilizer, so I don't think it can hurt anything.
 
So far, it doesn't seem like it's Kryptonite.  I may have to keep re-applying it.
 
Hey, Mitch!!!!
I had that same exact nibbling problem in 2014. It was, of course, pointy, ripe peppers. Mine were Pusa Jwala. I started pulling them green........then serendipitously, green pods were better!!!

Those Sri Lankan Crosses are amazing! I like both of the showing pod varieties! I thought the red first. Then you said "yellow", and I'm in. Lol
Is there any purple to the red plant at all? Even a little? Blushing on the tops of pods?
They look like they could POSSIBLY be crossed with CGN 21500.

Ah-HAAAA!
I see blushing and a translucent skin on the pods.

Whatever........I like THAT RED!!!!!!

Great stuff, bud! Your leaves look amazingly!!!
 
Bhuter said:
Hey, Mitch!!!!
I had that same exact nibbling problem in 2014. It was, of course, pointy, ripe peppers. Mine were Pusa Jwala. I started pulling them green........then serendipitously, green pods were better!!!

Those Sri Lankan Crosses are amazing! I like both of the showing pod varieties! I thought the red first. Then you said "yellow", and I'm in. Lol
Is there any purple to the red plant at all? Even a little? Blushing on the tops of pods?
They look like they could POSSIBLY be crossed with CGN 21500.

Ah-HAAAA!
I see blushing and a translucent skin on the pods.

Whatever........I like THAT RED!!!!!!

Great stuff, bud! Your leaves look amazingly!!!
 
Yeah, the red pheno has a fair amount of purple.  The stalk is strongly purple, and the unripe pods start out purple.  The leaves themselves don't show much purple, but there's a fair amount of purple elsewhere.  It had me wondering if it didn't cross yet again with one of PaulG's many purple varieties.  :)
 
Your hypothesis that it crossed with a CGN 21500 is intriguing.  I haven't grown either a CGN 21500 or any other known Roxa variety, but I've been somewhat curious about the Roxa's for a while.  Two years ago, I had a random mystery pepper from a vendor that seemed like it could be related to a Roxa, but there was no way to ever know for sure.
 
Was PaulG growing a CGN 21500 last year?  I went back through PepperGuru's 2018 grow list (where these seeds originated), and I didn't see anything specifically about a CGN 21500 or anything else that looked like a Roxa.
 
DontPanic said:
Yeah, the red pheno has a fair amount of purple.  The stalk is strongly purple, and the unripe pods start out purple.  The leaves themselves don't show much purple, but there's a fair amount of purple elsewhere.  It had me wondering if it didn't cross yet again with one of PaulG's many purple varieties.  :)
 
Your hypothesis that it crossed with a CGN 21500 is intriguing.  I haven't grown either a CGN 21500 or any other known Roxa variety, but I've been somewhat curious about the Roxa's for a while.  Two years ago, I had a random mystery pepper from a vendor that seemed like it could be related to a Roxa, but there was no way to ever know for sure.
 
Was PaulG growing a CGN 21500 last year?  I went back through PepperGuru's 2018 grow list (where these seeds originated), and I didn't see anything specifically about a CGN 21500 or anything else that looked like a Roxa.
I've got seeds for CGN 21500......and other Roxa's, I think. I can send you any of them.
I really do like that red. When it's fully ripened, I'd love some seeds, if possible. I would like to see future colors!

I'm glad you did some digging. I'd like to know, too!
 

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
DontPanic said:
I've been growing out a few examples of an unknown cross of a Sri Lankan Chili Red that I got from PaulG.  I've been calling them PGPG Sausage peppers.
 
Since the Sri Lankan Chili Red is an Annuum, I was surprised to find these plants are showing distinctive traits of Chinenses.  There's multiple pods per node, the distinctive constricted calyx, and there's a distinctive Chinense flavor when I taste them.
 
Also, this F2 generation is all over the place, and doesn't look much like PaulG's F1 generation.  Quite a lot of variation.  It seems to have lost the pod shape that inspired the "sausage" label.
 
Na9pI7V.jpg

 
xCHbEcB.jpg

 
The first two are putting out quite a few peppers (one red variety, and one yellow variety).
 
But the third one hasn't even set the first pod yet.
 
 
 
It's been entertaining growing this cross out, but I'm scratching my head a little trying to figure out where to go with this cross.
 
Edit for PT!
 
 
 
 
PaulG said:
Very interesting, Mitch! Funny that the
red pods are pendant, and the yellow
ones erect. No telling what will come next!
 
 
Mr.joe said:
Interesting the way they look nothing like the parents. The surfing duck is a nice touch too
 
 
Bhuter said:
Hey, Mitch!!!!
I had that same exact nibbling problem in 2014. It was, of course, pointy, ripe peppers. Mine were Pusa Jwala. I started pulling them green........then serendipitously, green pods were better!!!

Those Sri Lankan Crosses are amazing! I like both of the showing pod varieties! I thought the red first. Then you said "yellow", and I'm in. Lol
Is there any purple to the red plant at all? Even a little? Blushing on the tops of pods?
They look like they could POSSIBLY be crossed with CGN 21500.

Ah-HAAAA!
I see blushing and a translucent skin on the pods.

Whatever........I like THAT RED!!!!!!

Great stuff, bud! Your leaves look amazingly!!!
 
 
DontPanic said:
 
Yeah, the red pheno has a fair amount of purple.  The stalk is strongly purple, and the unripe pods start out purple.  The leaves themselves don't show much purple, but there's a fair amount of purple elsewhere.  It had me wondering if it didn't cross yet again with one of PaulG's many purple varieties.  :)
 
Your hypothesis that it crossed with a CGN 21500 is intriguing.  I haven't grown either a CGN 21500 or any other known Roxa variety, but I've been somewhat curious about the Roxa's for a while.  Two years ago, I had a random mystery pepper from a vendor that seemed like it could be related to a Roxa, but there was no way to ever know for sure.
 
Was PaulG growing a CGN 21500 last year?  I went back through PepperGuru's 2018 grow list (where these seeds originated), and I didn't see anything specifically about a CGN 21500 or anything else that looked like a Roxa.
 
 
Wasssaaap dudes! 
 
Ok so.....
 
 
Here is the 2018 garden map with the Sri Lanka Chili Red's location. There are a TON of hybrids that came from those seeds I sent out for the 2019 Growdown, and now that you guys are in F2/F3 there will be TONS of variation presented. So long story short....anyone's guess is good, judging by the map!
 
 
47108551622_8d1f9b7df6_b.jpg

 
My personal hunch is that with most of the "Sausage" crosses that the Aribibi Gusano was the baby daddy. 
 
Pepper-Guru said:
Wasssaaap dudes! 
 
Ok so.....
 
 
Here is the 2018 garden map with the Sri Lanka Chili Red's location. There are a TON of hybrids that came from those seeds I sent out for the 2019 Growdown, and now that you guys are in F2/F3 there will be TONS of variation presented. So long story short....anyone's guess is good, judging by the map!
 
 
47108551622_8d1f9b7df6_b.jpg

 
My personal hunch is that with most of the "Sausage" crosses that the Aribibi Gusano was the baby daddy.
Thank you very much!
Was the Purple UFO the only purple you had? You mentioned your Honey Mustard hab having purple blush.........

I love it, whatever it is......

Thanks, bruddah!
 

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
Bhuter said:
Thank you very much!
Was the Purple UFO the only purple you had? You mentioned your Honey Mustard hab having purple blush.........

I love it, whatever it is......

Thanks, bruddah!
 
 
So that purple ufo "long" in this plot actually ended up getting culled and composted. It was more of a cayenne looking new f1 (assume from the person who sent me the seeds) and it did have a little purple in the pod, but was mostly green. 
 
Pepper-Guru said:
So that purple ufo "long" in this plot actually ended up getting culled and composted. It was more of a cayenne looking new f1 (assume from the person who sent me the seeds) and it did have a little purple in the pod, but was mostly green.
Hmmmm.....the mystery deepens........

Thanks again!
 
Bhuter said:
I've got seeds for CGN 21500......and other Roxa's, I think. I can send you any of them.
I really do like that red. When it's fully ripened, I'd love some seeds, if possible. I would like to see future colors!

I'm glad you did some digging. I'd like to know, too!
 
Sure thing, let's catch up in October.  That's usually when I have most of my seeds dried and stored.
 
Time for the monthly update of my overall status.
 
I've been getting a fair amount of rain.  And when it's not raining, it gets pretty hot.  Most plants are handling this OK.  A few are showing signs of stress.  But the mid-Summer weather doesn't leave me many highlights.  They're just trying to hang in there until fall.
 
The annuums are showing the most stress.  Only one of my chinenses is stressed out.
 
Here's my South-East raised bed.  The Orange Thai is still throwing off peppers.
 
l075zn7.jpg

 
Here's my mid-South raised bed.  Mostly chinenses.  Most everyone here looks healthy, but it hasn't thrown off very many peppers yet.
 
1hShUsG.jpg

 
Here's my South-West raised bed.  It simply gets too much shade.  But I don't have any good spots to relocate this bed, so I let it do what it's going to do.
 
2MM8iC3.jpg

 
My North fence-line bed is still doing OK.  But if I get a real hot-spell, it'll take a bruising.
 
J8Eo0aq.jpg

 
My stump pepper transplant is liking it's new home.  This just confirms that something was wrong where I had this pepper before.
 
mvjvbEQ.jpg

 
 
Some of my plants are showing signs of a nutrient uptake problem.  The leaves are getting yellow spots.  I've run into this problem before, so I've put more effort into keeping my plants fertilized this year.  But something isn't right.
 
GKbmOjl.jpg

 
I've got a few ideas about what's going on here.  I've been getting a lot of rain lately.  So it could be flushing out the nutrients, or there could be problems with the roots when the soil is this damp.
 
My other idea is that my efforts to fertilize aren't working as well as hoped.  The plants that are showing yellowing are mostly the same plants that have had a stronger harvest already.  So these plants may have depleted the nutrients in the soil to produce the peppers they've already grown.  And my ongoing fertilizing hasn't been enough to keep up.
 
I've been applying a good deal of surface amendments, and I've been supplementing the surface amendments with some basic liquid fertilizer.  I think my surface amendments just aren't penetrating well enough.  Or maybe they're getting flushed out as soon as they go into the soil.
 
I may have to change up my fertilizing to give the early producers more liquid fertilizer.
 
 

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
Looking good! If they seem like they need some more go juice, they probably do! I'd say that sounds like a good plan. Depending on soil makeup in those beds, you could be right on how quickly they flush of the goodies you're applying. 
 
I'm pivoting around to reconsidering my earlier assessment that my leaf yellowing problems are attributed to a lack of fertilizer.
 
I'm coming around to the conclusion that I had an unforced error that actually led to an over-fertilization of some plants.
 
Back towards the top of this page, I mentioned that I tried an experiment to discourage critters from eating my peppers by using Blood Meal.  I just baselessly assumed that Blood Meal was a weak fertilizer that could be applied liberally.  I've since gone back and looked on the bag, and the NPK value is 12-0-0.
 
It's supposed to be time-released, but I used a lot, and we've had a lot of rain that also probably accelerated the release of the nitrogen.
 
Here's one of my Sri Lankan Chili Reds that looks like it's showing signs of nitrogen burn (of course everywhere else is deep-deep green).
 
MVsvuS0.jpg

 
Here's one of my Cayenne plants that got a heavy dose of the Blood Meal (the small, pointy peppers where the critter's favorite).
 
You can see how the Cayenne is wilting under the heavy dose of Nitrogen.  The plant next to it (an Orange Thai) didn't get as much of a dose, and it looking extremely dark-green.
 
6PTeojq.jpg

 
I've gone back and scrapped off some of the excess Blood Meal that was still on the surface of the soil, and I've tried to make sure there's some available mulch/compost material on the surface to soak up alittle of the nitrogen.
 
Things could be worse.  I've only got two or three plants that seem like they got badly damaged.  The one's I didn't try to kill just got stronger, and are looking very lush and green.  :)
 

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
DontPanic said:
I'm pivoting around to reconsidering my earlier assessment that my leaf yellowing problems are attributed to a lack of fertilizer.
 
I'm coming around to the conclusion that I had an unforced error that actually led to an over-fertilization of some plants.
 
Back towards the top of this page, I mentioned that I tried an experiment to discourage critters from eating my peppers by using Blood Meal.  I just baselessly assumed that Blood Meal was a weak fertilizer that could be applied liberally.  I've since gone back and looked on the bag, and the NPK value is 12-0-0.
 
It's supposed to be time-released, but I used a lot, and we've had a lot of rain that also probably accelerated the release of the nitrogen.
 
Here's one of my Sri Lankan Chili Reds that looks like it's showing signs of nitrogen burn (of course everywhere else is deep-deep green).
 
MVsvuS0.jpg

 
Here's one of my Cayenne plants that got a heavy dose of the Blood Meal (the small, pointy peppers where the critter's favorite).
 
You can see how the Cayenne is wilting under the heavy dose of Nitrogen.  The plant next to it (an Orange Thai) didn't get as much of a dose, and it looking extremely dark-green.
 
6PTeojq.jpg

 
I've gone back and scrapped off some of the excess Blood Meal that was still on the surface of the soil, and I've tried to make sure there's some available mulch/compost material on the surface to soak up alittle of the nitrogen.
 
Things could be worse.  I've only got two or three plants that seem like they got badly damaged.  The one's I didn't try to kill just got stronger, and are looking very lush and green.  :)
 
 
Might be onto something there! Glad you're figuring it out! Rest of the plant looks great! 
 
Only a little bit late for my monthly progress report.  :)
 
August was really rainy.
 
Generally speaking, August only comes in two flavors here:  Too wet or too hot.  I drew "too wet" this year.
 
The annuums are more stressed out than the chinenses.  This is partly due to an over-application of Blood Meal to my annuums in an attempt to deter a critter that has been snacking on my peppers at night.  Blood Meal is supposed to be a gentle, time released organic nitrogen source.  But I think the rain, along with the over-application, gave my annuums an over-dose of nitrogen.
 
Here's my South-East raised bed.  The Orange Thais still seem to be most resilient to my abuse.
 
lBQoJPc.jpg

 
 
My mid-South raised bed is mostly chinenses, and is looking healthy.  Although it's not putting out many pods.  But this is typical for the pit of Summer.
 
xQk1LoX.jpg

 
 
Here's my shady South-West raised bed.
 
blF0hQ5.jpg

 
 
My North-East raised bed is mostly chinenses also.  It's looking healthy, but not too many pods yet.
 
2vIXj1X.jpg

 
 
My North fenceline raised bed also took a wallop of Blood Meal.  The parts that weren't decimated look really green and lush.
 
sR7qzAM.jpg

 
 
My unknown critter is getting braver.  It's actually starting to nibble on some of my Purple Thunder.  There is no doubt this critter ate more of this pepper than I could.
 
elR4NFl.jpg

 
 
My mystery stump peppers are making good progress.  One if them is some kind of chinense.  The other hasn't produced any pods. yet.
 
P3EWJzE.jpg

 
 
 
September is starting out interesting.  The weather is getting better (albeit somewhat hot).  But my plants continue to show signs of stress.
 

PaulG

Extreme Member
Hey, Mitch! Your results with the ‘Mr. Sausage’ are really
interesting. Cool to see some interest in it just for fun’s.
 
Looking forward to seeing how the Stump Pepper plants 
turn out.
 
Sorry the critter ate that beautiful Purple Thunder pod!
Must be a wussy though, I notice it only ate the blossom
end of the pod.
 
Lightweight.
 
Top