• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Don't you hate "helmet head" seedlings?

Proud Marine Dad said:
I have had a few in recent years and some were not able to be removed and the plant died.
I just had one on a plant other than a pepper shall we say and luckily it came off. :clap:
When a single seed is $10-20 each it makes you worry. :scared: :lol:
10-20$? There are whole plants for 3$ what r u growing? Weed?

Wonder if we in south tx will ever ever get to grow expensive seeds , I doubt it :(

Just food for thought and not wanting to offend anyone but those expensive seeds are Bible approved while pork is not...

I know Cruzz, my life has lead me into "that garden" too :) my landlord would just throw a fit if I grew em. Hehe

I had a few "helmet hads" recently. Most of them dropped the seed on their own but the few that didn't I just gently pulled the seed away from the plant. Seemed to work - although I chipped the very top of the leaves of one plant but I'm reasonably sure it will recover.

Last year I lost so many seedlings due to helmet heads, so this year I decided to try something different. Instead of removing the humidity dome after the first seeds sprouted like I did last year, I decided to leave it on for a month and guess what, out of the 20+ varieties I'm growing I had ZERO helmet heads and all of them sprouted within 30 days. The only thing I needed to do was vent the propagator and wipe down the condensation once a day. The seedlings have since been potted up and look great.

Back