• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Downriver 2022 - Pepper Time

Today is Jan 1, so time to start a Glog and THINK about what to grow. The answer is most likely somewhere in here. I'll figure it out shortly. :think:

IMG_20220101_230143914.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with your grow DR!

One question for you - what is your process for saving seeds? Your contribution to the seed train definitely caught my eye in terms of the variety and quantity of seeds. I don't think I'd be able to scale with my current methods.

Good luck with your grow DR!

One question for you - what is your process for saving seeds? Your contribution to the seed train definitely caught my eye in terms of the variety and quantity of seeds. I don't think I'd be able to scale with my current methods.

Thanks for the good luck vibe @HeatMiser!

As far as seed-saving, it's not too difficult really. Even though all of my seeds this year were NOT isolated due to all my “issues” last Spring, my process is the same. 1) slice the pod in half lengthwise 2) separate the seeds from the placenta 3) place seeds on a plastic lid (I use hummus container lids) single layer, not touching 4) place in a safe (no dogs, cats, little humans, etc), warm, dry place 5) after a week or two, transfer to baggie 6) Done

Tip: WEAR GLOVES

I also save seeds from dehydrated pods, mainly for my personal use. Process is similar, but easier. 1) cut pods in half 2) spread on trays, single layer 3) dry on a low temp setting (I use 105F) 4) When crisp (24-48 hr?) bag seeds and grind pods into powder 4) Done

That's about it. Hope that answers your question. If not, let me know.

Do you have a method for separating good seeds from bad ones? I usually put the seeds in a cup of water and remove the floaters. I don't think that method is 100% reliable though...

Do you have a method for separating good seeds from bad ones? I usually put the seeds in a cup of water and remove the floaters. I don't think that method is 100% reliable though...
Some of those floaters will be viable, @MarcV.
Most will sink after a little bit. If they are still floating
after several hours or overnight, then toss 'em. If you
toss them right away, you will lose some viable seeds.

Not really. In addition to what @PaulG said about floaters, I'll discard underdeveloped/immature seeds and seeds that appear "dark" in the center. Then again, if I only have a few seeds, I'll plant them all regardless of if they float, are dark or small etc. Then I'll cross my fingers lol.

I do realize that some of the floaters are viable. They are sometimes kept afloat by tiny air bubbles. But even after removing all the floaters there are usually enough seeds left that are considered "ok".

I do realize that some of the floaters are viable. They are sometimes kept afloat by tiny air bubbles. But even after removing all the floaters there are usually enough seeds left that are considered "ok".
And therein lies the 'good enough for (fill in name or pronoun)'
I use that strategy a lot. If I were running a business, it might
be another matter.

I was impressed by @Downriver's seed train bag as well :shocked:

Well, selection is done and seeds are in the dirt! Cutting WAY back this year. We've got a backlog of pepper products. Gonna go lightly this year. Lots of varieties off the seed trains highlighting the grow!

Non-annuums hit the dirt on 2/27. the players:

Not Annuums seedstarts.JPG

Most have broken ground already. Don't mind those legs. I think they're sexy!

Chinense IMG_20220308_120045976.jpg

Annuums hit the dirt today, 3/10. The players:

Annuums seedstarts.JPG

Not gonna post pics of a tray full of dirt. I think y'all have seen that before lol.

Lastly, I got the 2022 Growdown seeds rockin! They'll be getting up-potted in the next few days. Fingers crossed at least one reaches maturity lol.

Farm Locoto IMG_20220310_164824284.jpg

Started for real, now, @Downriver!

Gotta get comfy and watch this grow!
popcorn2.gif

I hope the F5 Purple Thunder does as
well this season as it did last!

Last edited:
Been gonna re-pot non-annuums for a week. Finally got a-round-tuit. I think they're past ready lol.

Chinense starts IMG_20220324_185440609.jpg

This is the roots of the Erotica Orange.

Erotica Orange starts IMG_20220328_150754345.jpg

This is a Purple Thunder Mystery F5. Purple color still present. Yay!

PT Mystery repot IMG_20220329_153407928.jpg

Also interesting color on these Purple UFO plants.

Purple UFO repot IMG_20220328_153908493~2.jpg

Ended up re-potting over 40 plants. This is just one tray of them.

Chinense repots IMG_20220328_153854444.jpg

Next up, feed these re-pots and then start repotting annuums. I need to sterilize more pots first. I'm gonna wait a few days for warmer weather to do that.

@Downriver - Looks like dragging your feet for an
extra week didn't affect the plants negatively :D
You're F5 Purple Thunder looks great. My PT need
some nice sunny weather to really 'get their purple
on '.

Back