• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Downward Leaf Curl?

Hello all,

Just had a quick question. I have been seeing a slight amount of downward leaf curl on a couple of my peppers. What are they trying to tell me?

Here's a couple pics:
SD535316.jpg

Underside.
SD535317.jpg

Thanks,

They have only been inside under fluorescent lights. The only thing I have given them since I potted them up was some epsom salts and a bit of blood meal, and of course light on 16 off 8.

Some of my potted peppers when wintered will do that if they are over watered for too long and the soil is not drying out properly, it looks like your soil is pretty wet? Is it? when they look really wet and the soil is not drying out at a decent rate and get like that I will take a toothpick and break up the soil on top and around the pot as much as I can gently and down as far as I can without damaging the roots. In order to let some air in the soil and let it dry up a little bit and then maybe do it a couple of times as the soil airs out and gets drier. I will also sometimes check the holes in the bottom of the pot and make sure they are not clogged with a small stick or pencil. One time during the winter I put a box fan on low to help dry the soil to a normal level. So now when I water I tend not to water close to the stem but around the edges of the pot basically keeping that area dry around the stem to avoid stem rot. The plants seem to do best in a halfdry/halfwet state, moist but not soaked with ventilation, etc.the roots will sense the water and nutrients at the soil around the edge of the pot and go there to get what they need...

I am not an expert but that has worked for me, but there are plenty of experts here...

Expect a little leaf drop when the leaves get like that but they should recover..

Good Luck

If too wet soil is what it is, you can also transplant them into a slightly bigger pot and just use dry soil around the root ball and edges to soak up excess water.
And the reason I am thinking the above cause that black spot on the leave looks like mold so maybe we want to counter the environment that allows mold/fungi to grow.
Like I said I am not an expert it is just that is what common sense is telling, who knows I might be totally wrong, but what I do on this forum is take a little bit from everyones advice to come up with my own plan..I do not know much about safely countering mold but maybe someone else does? My plant also did something similar to that when I used tried Miracle Gro and then I switched to straight diluted fish fertilzer (phew) and they do great with no burn.

The plant in the pic is a purple jalapeno, so that black spot may be normal for that variety. You may be on to something with the 'too wet' soil though. I have noticed, the soil I am using this year takes a bit longer to dry out than what I used the past couple years. I will have too see what happens when I leave these alone for a bit and let them dry out.

Back