• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

No sprouts yet:

The oldest seed was put in soil 10 days ago. The next 6 days ago. The next 4 days ago, and the last yesterday.

Still no sprouts. I'm getting worried now. I tried the wet paper towel technique with 6 Chocolate Bhut seeds. I put the measuring cup in a dark closet and will check it in a week or so:

papertowel_zps7f6dcd55.jpg

Hang in there, Dragon! Counting on 100% germination for your grow
might be dicey. How many seeds are in each pot?

I've got 1 seed in each of the 4 pots.

I know that it is irresponsible to count on 100% germination, BUT, last season I had a 100% (20 for 20) germination rate, using the same clay pot/potting soil technique. This method is generally not considered the best, but with the non-superhots that I have been growing for the last 5 seasons, I have always gotten excellent germination rates. This is the first time I have tried to sprout superhots and I don't have a great feeling so far.

Still no sprouts. I decided to try and sprout a few Yellow Cardi Trinidad Scorpions using the wet paper towel method. I used hot water to soak the paper towel this time:

cardi_zpsb76ec58a.jpg

No Lid.

I've never tried sprouting Peppers with this technique. I have sprouted Lemons before, soaking the paper towel in this manner. The seeds always sprouted in 7-10 days. Will a cover help retain heat or mositure?

14 days and you were loosing confidence, of 12 only 3 have popped for me and I'm still confident a few more will come ... it's been 17 days now :rolleyes: Never give up da hope mon, great success in 13 :) BTW mine are in eggs on the kitchen counter like Pia stated ... Congrats on da hooks!

Thanks for all the love!

I've got another Moruga Sprout. This one only took 9 days. It wasn't visible earlier, but after I watered the soil, some soil covering the sprout became displaced, exposing the sprout. it is hard to see, but if you look closely at the middle of the picture, you can see the tiny sprout:

2ndsprout_zpscd9193c0.jpg

The first sprout is not looking very healthy. It never straightened out, and it is now barely visible, just drooping:

1st2_zps1f3ba76e.jpg

The second sprout is looking much better. It has been getting closer to upright all day:

2nd2_zps9a51a567.jpg

The first Moruga Sprout is completely dead. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe my potting soil is too hard for some sprouts.

The second Moruga Sprout is doing much better. I have the first set of baby leaves and the seed top has almost fallen off.

I'll be 100% confident that this will make it, after I see the second set of true leaves.

I hope my iPad camera is taking OK, pictures, as I am having a hard time getting my "real" camera to focus on the small sprout, and I can't figure how to force the flash to be "off."

z2_zpsffc00a83.jpg

z1_zps12a5b8dc.jpg

Thanks.

Best of luck with your 2013 grow.

I need to figure out when to upgrade my lighting, as I've been told that my T-3 54 Watt floro is too weak to produce fruit. It has always been strong enough to grow plants for 2 months, so I have a while to decide.

I'm dying to cut that seed top off, but am worried that I may be inaccurate, cut some of the leaf and kill the plant.

Just pluck it off. I have left nothing but a speck of leaf and the plant came out beautifully. You have plenty of exposed leaf so no worries.

Back