• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

I was starting to panic over germination rates and put more seeds in soil than I normally do. I already gave up one a few superhots that didn't sprout in January, and I still have seeds that I sowed 2 weeks ago that have not sprouted. My Superchiles don't usually take more than 7-10 days to pop up.

I am having the same problem with an entire tray. I am even starting to see mold on the top of the seed starting soil. I removed the mold yesterday and this morning I had a bombay morich with a helmet. Ugh. Frustration isnt even the word. Plus I put those seeds in the soil weekssssssss ago. I think I will start to see some pop but I have pretty much set the tray to the side. Plus I have mysteries now because I had given up on another tray and used the markers for the seedlings that did pop. On top of that I finally have 3 fish peppers that I had given up on after like a month and a half. sometimes they just want to take their time. Dont give up just yet.

I'm not giving up. Most of them will go in the ground on May 27th. I think anything that sprouts later than the April 15th, will be too small to transplant. Other than not enough sprouts, that is my only worry right now.

No - My family Garden is in Eastern Long Island - I think we have frost problems before the end of May. In any event, I'm not going to be out there until Memorial Day anyway.

Another one of my Open Pollinated F4 (with F1 Characteristics) Superchiles just sprouted. It is growing fast, as it just came up this morning:

76_zps397f2199.jpg

Yup Big Things Poppinnnnn!!! Yeah I was on Long Island a couple weeks ago to take my daughter to a Mindless Behavior Meet and Greet. UGH!!! Screaming teenagers piss me off. Thats why I made the 21 year old go with me and we had a few libations at the local Red Lobster..... Anywho. You guys are way cooler than us here in Jersey. At least that night. So your spot on with the weather. Either way, It wont be long now. Just a matter of weeks.

Wow your moruga is looking real nice Dragon...

Thanks,

I grew it to make some deadly and delicious pods, but it is nice if it looks pretty too. The ugliest Pepper Plant that I ever grew was a Bode Amarela—A very tall, woody and scary looking plant.

Another one of my Open Pollinated F4 (with F1 Characteristics) Superchiles just sprouted:

85spoout_zps4718581b.jpg

The next 2 pics are Open Pollinated Aji Cereza's, followed by one more Open Pollinated F4 (with F1 Characteristics) Superchile:

86cereza_zps7a4883bc.jpg

87cereza_zps85a69cd0.jpg

88_zpsbf8c3daa.jpg

Open Pollinated Aji Cereza - I'm thinking about keeping this one for my indoor grow:

94_zpsfb7717b8.jpg

You've gotta love the ghetto grow setup:

95_zps26fb56d4.jpg

I just stopped by my grow room to say good night to the Chiles and noticed that another one of my Open Pollinated F4 (with F1 Characteristics) Superchiles just sprouted. This one took 16 days to sprout:

96_zps1e4d8ad9.jpg

The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is still looking good, but I think it is showing some signs of over-watering and light stress. I just moved it farther away from the lights:

101_zps5b423d14.jpg

102_zps051a2541.jpg

100_zpsd52f50dd.jpg

98_zps0abe63f0.jpg

97_zps64e8875f.jpg

Back