• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Drip Hydro Question...

If I start using RO water would I need to add in Cal-Mag to put back a few of the elements lost when the water goes through the RO process? I've tried looking it up online but it seems that it's a split decision on if you need to or not. So far I'm just using plain tap water that I've sat outside during the day and then in the garage at night to reduce the chlorine.... This last check for chlorine put the tap water right at 4 ppm of chlorine and the pH was insanely high at 8.5. Also when it comes time to topping the reservoir with water, do I just add in pH corrected water to level it off and that's it? So far the Doughlah I put in the hydro is doing really well aside from the fact it seems to high having the lights on haha. The lights come on and the lowest leaves will droop just a little bit. Lights go off and it's as perk as can be. Seems there is a big mess of things of how long you should actually run the drip for. The last suggestion was to just let it run 24/7 and that's what it's been doing the past few days with no ill effects noticed. The plant itself is dark green and healthy aside from the sneak cat attack it had on it this morning when I wasn't looking, put a hurting on two leaves :\.

Any and all suggestions/advice on drip is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

-J

Do you have a TDS meter?
That and a way to measure ph are my most important tools for hydro. If you have access to RO water, use it. I have really great water right from the tap. It usually tests 70 to 90 ppm TDS and I don't worry about the chlorine.
If you have some CalMag, go ahead and use it. It's good stuff, but may not be necessary if using GH 3 part nutrients.
If your plant is suddenly sensitive to the same lighting it's always had, take another look at that pot it is in. Even if it is a mesh pot the roots may be shielded from the nutrient solution causing it to wilt.
Once you get it dialed in you will see some nice growth.
Good luck.

No TDS meter but it's on my list of things to pick up this weekend and have two separate ways to test the pH. You mentioned that the roots may not be getting to the nute solution, something I thought about, so I got some straws four days ago and cut them in half to create little nute gutters. Even with those catching the solution and directing it straight to the middle of the stem and a few staggered around, the bottom set of leaves still droop a little. It doesn't have the "im thirsty" droop to it, they just lower a little but everything above that stays up.

Once I do my nute water change today Im going to use the Fox Farm hydro Trio opposed to the GH trio.

-J

Back