• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Drip Irrigation for Peppers

I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system for my potted peppers! Anybody have experience with setting up systems for their plants? I'm mostly wondering how many gallons to water, as I've been watering daily here in South GA, and just general advice for setting it all up. I have well over 50 individual plants, and was planning on a 1/2" or 3/4" mainline and just sticking in drippers as needed, and maybe 4 way drip stick assemblies for my very young plants. I appreciate any advice!

I have 1/2 main line with 2 gph emitters. The zone runs twice a day for 8 mins. If it’s extra hot and no rain for a few days I’ll run it manually for about 8 mins. My advice would be to get all the same pressure compensated emitters and tap each one into the main.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 22
I have 1/2 main line with 2 gph emitters. The zone runs twice a day for 8 mins. If it’s extra hot and no rain for a few days I’ll run it manually for about 8 mins. My advice would be to get all the same pressure compensated emitters and tap each one into the main.
This basically confirms my idea, around a quarter of a gallon total for a typical individual plant every day (but probably a half gal for my 5-7 gal pots). And we have similar weather to where you are! Thanks you :)

The hard part was getting the water to and around them and deciding the design. The amount of water is easy to change. I’m sure I’ll have to up the amount of water as it gets hotter or add another cycle during the day.

I did a drip system it was daisy chained off the main line. I did not like that. So had to redo it all. Then I used non pressure compensated emitters. Re did that. I’m satisfied with it now.

I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system for my potted peppers! Anybody have experience with setting up systems for their plants? I'm mostly wondering how many gallons to water, as I've been watering daily here in South GA, and just general advice for setting it all up. I have well over 50 individual plants, and was planning on a 1/2" or 3/4" mainline and just sticking in drippers as needed, and maybe 4 way drip stick assemblies for my very young plants. I appreciate any advice!
Great idea, that's what I have in the polytunnel. I used a 1/2" mainline with screw-in connectors to 1/4" line at individual pots, larger 3 gallon pots have 8 pints/hour drippers, smaller 2 gallon pots have 4 pints/hour, all controlled by a water timer. You'll need to play with that a bit to get adequate but not too much water, use a moisture meter. Currently mine get watered for 8 mins/day, every 2 days. Hope that helps.

The hard part was getting the water to and around them and deciding the design. The amount of water is easy to change. I’m sure I’ll have to up the amount of water as it gets hotter or add another cycle during the day.

I did a drip system it was daisy chained off the main line. I did not like that. So had to redo it all. Then I used non pressure compensated emitters. Re did that. I’m satisfied with it now.
I've got lots of extra tubing to play around with and a few different kinds of emitters so I'm sure I'll be able to put together a design that works eventually. Thank you!

Great idea, that's what I have in the polytunnel. I used a 1/2" mainline with screw-in connectors to 1/4" line at individual pots, larger 3 gallon pots have 8 pints/hour drippers, smaller 2 gallon pots have 4 pints/hour, all controlled by a water timer. You'll need to play with that a bit to get adequate but not too much water, use a moisture meter. Currently mine get watered for 8 mins/day, every 2 days. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the moisture meter suggestion, not something I considered! I appreciate the watering times too, gives me a good idea for what to start with. Thank you!

Back