• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Drippin

Anyone got advice for drip irrigation? This is the first time I encounter it and I need tips. Will be looking at 30 plants which will be irrigated..

orbit water timer, 1/2 inch main line, 1/4 line with pressure compensating stakes on the end for each plant. This setup is very modular and can be reused many years in different configurations.

If you don't care about that and just want to do it quick get some 1/4 in drip emitter lines (emitters are preinstalled) and just lay it out.

1 gallon per hour, run the timer for 1 hour every 2 or 3 days depending on how hot it is / your soil. or 20 mins every day.

Yes, Home Depot has plenty for your needs. You can get a Rain Bird starter kit from them which has everything you need (1/2" core tube, 1/4" tube, multiple drippers, backflow preventer, timer, etc.), and expand it as needed. You may also want to invest in a reservoir for your fertilizer in-line with the tubing, which is available online at several sites, such as: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-429-fertilizer-injectors.aspx

Ironically, the 2 gallon (which actually holds 2.5 gallons, since I own one) injector is cheaper than the 1 gallon one, and is a real time saver, since you just add liquid fertilizer to it, or water soluble dry/granular fertilizer, and let the timer do it's magic

There is all kinds of drip tubing out there! I remember when I worked at an irrigation shop we sold all kinds of micro drip line. You can buy 1/4" line and splice in your own emitters, but if you want to save some work you also have the option of the same sized sweat line, perforated line, or if you really want to control the rate, Toro sold micro-irrigation line with integrated emitters at 1 GPH but it was $$$ by comparison.

Back