• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Drought - Hah

Ok I know I shouldn't complain...but is it ever going to stop raining?
I lost about 2 kg of ripe Siam this week & about 1/2 kg of Habs over the last few weeks. The just turned soggy & brown on the plant...some of the habs look like they exploded.
The last 2 days i've had earthworms evacuating out of the sodden yard & trying to get in the house...what the hell is that :shocked:

I know we need it, the dams are still only up to 25% full, but hey when you start losing peppers it's gone too far.

That's what happened to me last year Bent...we got the 5th highest all time rainfall record since they have been keeping records...over 50"...and that is a lot here in North Texas

WOW. We have had the worst 2 years for a lack of rain out of the last 3 years. Great for peppers, Hell on everything else.

Real climate change will manifest itself when the native grasses and other plants can no longer survive, and more southerly varieties migrate in. I just can't wait to live on the coast without ever moving! (lol)

We were in real danger of having to truck in water for the whole city a few months ago. Our dams were built to save us from the regular floods rather than drought. The last few weeks has helped a lot but severe water restrictions still apply.
Still I have managed to get 5 or 6 kilos of nice pods so far, if we get a few weeks of nice warm weather I'll double that before it cools off & everything goes dormant.
Those earthworms have got me spooked though.

I don't know much about Australia, but it seems Fort Worth (and Texas in general) is similar. There are zero naturally occuring lakes (large) totally in Texas. The only one that is natural is Caddo lake on the Texas/Louisiana line. All our water supply comes from either wells or Corps of Engineer lakes. I have been here for 19 years and have seen the swings both ways from water over the spillways to lakes 8-9 meters low. All teh lakes are at full pool right now...or close to it...

It's a build-up to 12/21/12!

Cincy had like the third driest summer on record in 07, as well as the secopnd or third hottest summer.

Just wait until the Milky Way's black hole, sun and earth all align.

(Disclaimer - this idea is science [fiction?]based on Mayan and Chinese calendars and other things that may or may not be realistic.)

Mike

Well, I have lived a good life and am happy as a camper...

Its been hammering down all day here... the garden is a disgrace... Its alive and doing well but theres weeds and plants have fallen over and need to be staked theres a garden bed that needs to be turned and some devils tongues need to go in tommorrow ... and I don't want to go near it.
Too humid and I'm gettin lazier and lazier...
out source out source out source ....
All my friends grow my chillis now
lol

Mick

raining here too.

So much the water is welling up on my neighbours fence and washing mud into my pool......again!

i dont have chillis rotting from warer but i do have chocolate habanero eating lady bugs!!!!! I found one all eaten on the side and went looking for the culprit. I cought it in the act on a half grown pod. I squuzed it gently and let it die slow. I then steakes it on a toothpic to ward off any other hungry laydbeetles.

My wite told me i would have bad luck...... i said.... not me, just the ladybugs!!!!

Hopefully the rain will clear up and only come dowm over the dams where we all need it!

cheers

PS.... if i ever get my hands on the Elnino fella ....!

tony05 are you sure that ladybug wasn't eating the critter that was eating your plants....they're good for that.

Had some pictures on the news from the other side of my suburb :shocked: Say it's going to rain all night and tomorrow.

o.k torch, mobile phone, beer, cajohns 10...im set :D

Just remembering that one of the THP members who lives out here 'BobsYourUncle' predicted months ago that the drought would break over christmas.
Bobs, if you're out there...get a lotto ticket in mate ;)

its good to hear you aussies are getting the well needed rain, & not so good news about the chile crop being affected by too much rain. but in your predicament I'd say bring more rain & just move the chiles inside until the rainy days are over, thats if you have them in containers.

in my area we get rain springtime, then summer is hot & dry with not much rain, then fall we get the rain. seems like this for several years now, we get the rain to late to help out the crops (farmers) then the rain comes to late but the weathermen would say something like well our totals of rain for the season so far are normal :rolleyes:

I'd never move away from this area (around the great lakes) water is the source of life. being from the state of 10,000 lakes, water is not hard to find here :lol:

wordwiz - whats the deal with 12/21/12 is that when life on earth will no longer exsist ?

For the non-Aussies, it is worth remembering that our country is similar in size to the continental USA or Canada. Whilst we are lucky that it is raining here in coastal Queensland (none of it in the greater Brisbane water storage catchment), much of the country is still (ahem, excuse the term) rooted.

That said, I'm glad my tank's full, the yard has some green stuff growing out of the dirt ( i think it's weeds, not lawn)

I lost about 2 kg of ripe Siam this week & about 1/2 kg of Habs over the last few weeks. The just turned soggy & brown on the plant...some of the habs look like they exploded.

Bent, (please excuse my ignorance)
Is this from the humidity, the plants sucked up too much moisture, or from heavy rain drops? Would moving them out of the rain (if potted) have helped?

Gah, sounds awful.
The last few days were kinda dry, and I like it. a lot of place nearby are actually covered with snow, so I consider myself lucky.

chilihunter,

On December 21, 2012, the earth, sun and a black hole are supposed to align. According to the ancient Mayans, chinese and several prognosticators, including Nostradomus, this will mean the end of the world. Supposedly, the gravitation pull will be reversed, causing the earth to spin on its axis. The poles become the equator and the equator the poles. This owuld lead to massive flooding, drought, freezing, thawing, etc.

Not that I believe it, but I may wait until the 22nd to do my Christmas shopping or pay bills that are due on the 21st!

Mike

oh, but it'll all be ok because the moon wasnt aligned with it all :lol:
I'd fear a comet or meteorite hitting earth more than that theory, but then I'd be on the equator & could grow some great chiles :lol:

wordwiz said:
chilihunter,

On December 21, 2012, the earth, sun and a black hole are supposed to align. According to the ancient Mayans, chinese and several prognosticators, including Nostradomus, this will mean the end of the world. Supposedly, the gravitation pull will be reversed, causing the earth to spin on its axis. The poles become the equator and the equator the poles. This owuld lead to massive flooding, drought, freezing, thawing, etc.

Not that I believe it, but I may wait until the 22nd to do my Christmas shopping or pay bills that are due on the 21st!

Mike

sweet, i won't have to pay off my student loan...

bentalphanerd said:
Just remembering that one of the THP members who lives out here 'BobsYourUncle' predicted months ago that the drought would break over christmas.
Bobs, if you're out there...get a lotto ticket in mate ;)

To be fair, it's not broken yet... although things are looking alright at the moment.

I know I haven't been around much lately, I've been spending a fair amount of time down on the Gold Coast (you think it's been raining where you are? It's been crazy down there). Uni has been keeping me busy too the last few weeks, no undergrads just means I actually have to do my work instead of theirs ;)

Back