• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dry manure

This is a question about using dried manure in the garden . Today i managed to get some cow , goat and chicken poop(dry) from a farm.now the question is can the dry manure be applied directly? Didnt find anything on dried manure . The chicken and cow manure is dry and in powder form.
Any opinions , and composting is not an option here as i dont have enough space.

I'd be careful of using hot organic material (hot as in hasn't been composted).  Heavy ammonia loads aren't good for living things and can nutrient burn plants, especially when they start breaking down into nitrites and nitrates.  The only way to break down the ammonia requires bacterial action, and without moisture there isn't any microbiology to perform a chemical breakdown, it's basically locked in the dried dung.  There may be some members here who have had success with it, but I'm not one of them and couldn't tell you what method they used.  Good luck!

fern123 said:
Now I have them in sacs , can I just pour water into them and let them sit?
Yes, a couple of weeks at the very least, but longer would be better, it depends on how much it's composted already.

Your average outdoor temps will also play a big part, If the bags get too hot or cold then the bacteria will not flourish.

Also note that chicken manure is pretty potent. Whereas cow manure is mild enough to literally heap into your dirt, and with it you get a double treatment, 1) fertilizer 2) soil amendment to improve the overall quality of your soil.

Do you mean to say the fresh cow manure I tilled into my raised bed last Oct., will burn my plants at June plant out, 8-9 months later?

Cow manure does not need to be composted. Horse and poultry manure does.

ultravista said:
Does anyone use manure as a top dressing in garden beds? Is it better than other ferts?

I add composted cow and horse manure every year to my garden. I don't use it as a top dressing I turn it into the soil when I turn the garden over. I don't use it for fertility alone since I also fertilize the plants individually. It is more for a soil amendment; for drainage properties and consistency. My garden has been in the same place for 30 years. The plants take a toll on the soil so for me it's important to keep adding every year.

Back