• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dry whole or sliced?

When drying habs, fatalii, and the like, what is the general consensus when drying in a dehydrator?
Slice, or whole and if sliced, do you dry cut side up or down?

Thanks
Kat.

Slice them in two, if you leave them whole thay will take a lot longer to dry. Cut side up imo.

you can dry them either way...It all depends on the speed in which you want them to dry and what you plan to do with them once they are dry...

cutting them in half will have them dry faster and I don't think it really matter which way the outside or inside are facing

If you put them cut side up it means that the moisture in the pods doesn't have to travel through the skin. I stick by cut side up!

Novacastrian said:
If you put them cut side up it means that the moisture in the pods doesn't have to travel through the skin. I stick by cut side up!

That's a fair point but at the end of the day It really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.....

I usually poke holes or cut slits in the pods and dry them whole. This way more pods will fit in the dehydrator, they look nicer when dried, and they possibly hold a bit more flavor. Large pods usually have to be cut to fit

I like to leave them whole but I cut the stem side off exposing the placenta, it is easier for me to get the seeds out once they are dried.

I usually cut in two, cut side up it as well. Sometimes i'll do them whole cuz there just so damn purty like that.

I slice mine in the food processor and average almost
a pound of habaneros per tray. I also dry some whole,
mainly for the purpose of if a recipe calls for a certain
number of habaneros, I got them.

thepodpiper said:
I like to leave them whole but I cut the stem side off exposing the placenta, it is easier for me to get the seeds out once they are dried.

Hey Dale, I thought the heat from a dehydrator would destroy seeds for saving. I always remove my seeds from ripe pods and air dry the seeds on a paper towel. Do you use a low heat to dehydrate? What is the maximum temperature seeds can survive and still be viable? Any other thoughts, comments appreciated as well. Thanks - Tony.

Back