• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Drying frozen peppers

I dehydrated a batch of supers last year in my oven which only goes down to 215 (too hot) so the only way to keep the temp low enough and the air circulating was to leave it open a little, it worked perfect except that the kitchen was like walking into CS gas at one point and my wife in the living room was getting teary eyed

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FiresOfNil said:
I dehydrated a batch of supers last year in my oven which only goes down to 215 (too hot) so the only way to keep the temp low enough and the air circulating was to leave it open a little, it worked perfect except that the kitchen was like walking into CS gas at one point and my wife in the living room was getting teary eyed

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you have an Aldi supermarket or other similar type market near you they usually have low budget "dehydrators" or around $20  I have owned two and they work just fine.  I do have an oven that will drop down to 150F but my wife would go ballistic if I used it for peppers.  lol

This year, I dehydrated all my peppers outside under my covered Pergola.  Before that I dehydrated them in my basement, but even then the smell throughout the house was a bit overwhelming. 

cheers

Back