• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Dshlogg's 2012 Grow- Freakin Aphids Grrrr

Those are TS FG. One thing about these oasis trays is i've had a lot of helmets. I've been carefully bending the seed cap down and pressing it into the foam. Then allowing the seedlings to pull themselves out. It's been working great. In the past I've misted the seed cap several times over a couple hours to soften it, then very carefully pulled it apart with two pairs of tweezers.

Bending it back down is brillant, normally I just let nature take it's course. I am finding the horticube is great for larger seeds, but I don't care for them for peppers. i mght try some rapid rooters just cuz.... But soil has been the best for me.

like the diy mlyar clone shelving definatley innovative. was wondering once they get bigger where are they going: in/outside and transplanted to what type of medium thnx and good luck with it all.

Thanks SS and Benzo. They'll stay in here until transplant size around 4 or 5 inches. Then they'll go in 2.5" pots with my own seedling mix. It's a mix of coco coir, perlite, vermiculite and a little leaf compost, plus some bone and blood meal. Once its safe they'll go outside in the ground. I'm doing raised rows treated with compost and hardwood mulch.

Things have been moving along somewhat slowly so far. I had a temperature issue with one shelf and fried some of my seedlings a little. They have since recovered though I did lose one TS FG.

I added a few more varieties to my grow. Red Rocotos that a friend brought back from Peru. They were still wet and germinated very fast. I also added Bhut Jolokia Purple, Fatalii, Aji Mirasol (from Peru) and New Mex Big Jim (for the longest chili competition).

I discovered a few pests today which I immediately squished. Three aphids and a Fungus Gnat. Hopefully they won't get out of hand.

The Oasis trays have worked pretty good for me but I'm not sure I prefer them over coco coir. I water once a week and started adding some heavily dilluted nutes. I found that the seed holes are a little wide for pepper seeds so I started covering them with coco coir. Here a few shots I took tonight of the gang.

Here's a Brainstrain that had his cotyledons fried but recovered.
Brainstrain.jpg

Yellow Brainstrain
BrainstrainYellowB5.jpg

Chocolate Bhuts, Chocolate Nagas, 7 Pot Primos and Butch TS.
IMAG0034.jpg

I started a little experiment with my lighting tonight. One tray will get 18 hours on 6 off and the other get 9 on and 3 off. They both get the same amount of light and dark a day but one tray gets two cycles. We'll see if there is any noticeable difference after a couple weeks.

Til next time.

Things have been moving along somewhat slowly so far. I had a temperature issue with one shelf and fried some of my seedlings a little. They have since recovered though I did lose one TS FG.

I added a few more varieties to my grow. Red Rocotos that a friend brought back from Peru. They were still wet and germinated very fast. I also added Bhut Jolokia Purple, Fatalii, Aji Mirasol (from Peru) and New Mex Big Jim (for the longest chili competition).

I discovered a few pests today which I immediately squished. Three aphids and a Fungus Gnat. Hopefully they won't get out of hand.

The Oasis trays have worked pretty good for me but I'm not sure I prefer them over coco coir. I water once a week and started adding some heavily dilluted nutes. I found that the seed holes are a little wide for pepper seeds so I started covering them with coco coir. Here a few shots I took tonight of the gang.

Here's a Brainstrain that had his cotyledons fried but recovered.
Brainstrain.jpg

Yellow Brainstrain
BrainstrainYellowB5.jpg

Chocolate Bhuts, Chocolate Nagas, 7 Pot Primos and Butch TS.
IMAG0034.jpg

I started a little experiment with my lighting tonight. One tray will get 18 hours on 6 off and the other get 9 on and 3 off. They both get the same amount of light and dark a day but one tray gets two cycles. We'll see if there is any noticeable difference after a couple weeks.

Til next time.

Cool! Did the 12/1 discussion spur that? I really want to follow that.

That's the first I've heard of the 12/1 discussion but I just read that thread and it was pretty interesting. I actually got the idea from a thread last year.

If the lights are the only heat source for them...I'm betting the 9/3 does better. I'll be watching! Good luck!

Well the aphid army is gaining strength. I squished about 50 of the little bastards today. I think I'm gonna spray with soapy water tomorrow. Hopefully that will take them out. I hate to resort to anything that my seedlings won't like but I don't want these aphids to take over.

DEATH TO ALL APHIDS!

lady bugs...really fun to watch them attack those little bastards, and as long as the aphids are there they won't leave. and then they'll reproduce. The only better predator on aphids than a ladybug...is a ladybug larvae! Unfortunately the downside is you will have random ladybugs throughout the house. I keep them in my greenhouse.

I'm not sure if there are any places to get lady bugs around here this time of year. That would be my first choice otherwise. I think mail order lady bugs are wild harvested in ways that aren't sustainable. If anyone knows of any earth friendly ways to get them let me know.

Sorry to hear about the aphids. The more I try stuff indoors, the more I grow to hate them. I think they're like cockroaches too, like when you see one you know there are probably 20 others either too small to see or waiting to hatch or something. I wish I knew an answer to your ladybug needs. Good luck.

My nursery has ladybugs and even praying mantis. Don't know how they collect them, or if they're farmed...the soap is a good idea too. Good luck!

I had aphids last season on my Thai Dragon Peppers. They were eating the pepper skins. I got so mad! I killed all of them with my bare hands. Believe it or not that worked.

Thanks meatfreak. Here what I've started:

Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Devil's Tongue
Naga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpian Morouga
Trinidad Scorpian Yellow
Trinidad Scorpian FG
Trinidad Scorpian Butch T
7 Pod Brainstrain
7 Pod Brainstrain Yellow
7 Pod Douglah
7 Pod Jonah
7 Pod Infinity
7 Pod Primo
7 Pod White
7 Pod Yellow

There are plenty more to come but that's my first batch.

I believe my Trinidad Scorpian FG are F3 hybrids of a TS Red and a Scotch Bonnet Yellow. So far they are very fast growers. I had 24 of 28 seeds germinate within 48 hours being started.

Can you tell me about the 7pot Infinity you have? Is this a cross and if so where can I get seeds?
Good luck on the grow love the germination tank can you tell me more about it?

Thanks for the support and suggestions everyone. I'll have to check my local nurseries for lady bugs.

Amazing video Frisky! Thanks. I saw and killed 3 aphids Thursday by Friday there were 50. Unbelievable how fast they can multiply.

I don't know much about the Infinity aside from it being a very hot scary looking 7 pot. I'm sure its a hybrid of some kind and its probably not stable. I got my seeds from a member here. You could try asking for some in the market place.

My germ tank is just a 5 gallon tote filled with water. I have a fish tank heater in the bottom and a thermometer. I keep the water temp at 84 degrees. To germinate seeds I line 4oz solo cups with wet paper towels. Then spread the seeds out on top of the paper towels and cover the cup with the lid. Then float the cups in the germ tank and close the lid on the tank. Voila! Perfect temps for germinating.

http://tlc.howstuffw...mato-leaves.htm

Found this...and since reading your post I decided to take a closer look at my plants to. Yup! found them! Instead of running out and buying some ladybugs, I figured I'd give this a try. I still have a tomato plant hanging on from last season and it was the perfect donor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cool natural solution to aphids. Since tomato leaves are only mildly toxic, it should be no problem to use on food crops.

I'm still using conventional warfare right now. Squishing any aphids I see. Last night I only found five aphids so I'll continue squishing unless they get out of hand.

Back