shipping Dual Purpose packaging

I'd like to find a box that could hold 1-3 5oz bottles of sauce. I'd like to use this box at local events when we're selling sauce first-hand and i'd also like to use this box to stuff in a flat rate shipping envelope. I've found a 7x7x3 mailer thanks to reading through a few other posts on here. I've found the same box on ULine, Mr.Box, and MobePackaging. Mobe has the best deal for a small business like myself because the minimum order is 200 boxes for $165. Mr. Box has a minimum order of 1200 for $990. ULine has a minimum of 1000 for $840. Does anyone have experience with ordering from these sites?  They're all within 1 cent/each of one another but I feel better ordering a smaller quantity from Mobe. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a dual purpose box? adoboloco is just too expensive for us right now. no offense.

Not sure what dimensions you ultimately require but USPS has the 1096 priority mail box that's 9.25 x 6.25 x 2 inside dimension. They work very nicely with the padded flat rate envelopes. The boxes and the envelopes are free. I think you can order 200 boxes per pop and the PFRE come 100 to a carton.They pay the shipping to get them to you.

Edit: The 1096 box will hold 5 bottles using a creative closure. Since it fits in a PFRE, it currently ships for $6.08 via the postal provider I use.

DWB said:
Not sure what dimensions you ultimately require but USPS has the 1096 priority mail box that's 9.25 x 6.25 x 2 inside dimension. They work very nicely with the padded flat rate envelopes. The boxes and the envelopes are free. I think you can order 200 boxes per pop and the PFRE come 100 to a carton.They pay the shipping to get them to you.

Edit: The 1096 box will hold 5 bottles using a creative closure. Since it fits in a PFRE, it currently ships for $6.08 via the postal provider I use.
 I'll check that out. Our flat rate here is $6.45. How do people getting shipping costs down to $5?

$5.75 for the flimsy flat rate envelope is the cheapest priority mail I know of. $3.65 for a pound in first class package, $2.60 for 8 ounces or less.

HEAT hot sauce shop and Firehouse Pantry are 2 shippers that use $5 if over a certain amount.  I know some of that it built into the prices, but I think they are also on some kind of a contract.  I just got about 30 pounds of spices, in a box about the size of a large microwave, for $5 shipping, from Pennsylvania to Washington.

This doesn't really help with the OP fro dual purpose boxes.  Sorry~

at events in the past, I put the bottles in clear plastic produce bags.  I buy rolls of flat produce bags from my local grocery store (~$19/1000) and have used those for years selling salsa at the local FM and bottled sauces at big hot sauce events. 

Side Note-Early on in the FM days, I started keeping paper and plastic bags on hand to give out to people who needed something.  I never understood how vendors would just hand a bunch of produce to the customer to pack around the market and not give them a bag!  :shrug:  Anyway...when I'd see someone with their hands full, I'd call them over and sometimes chase them down, to give them a paper or plastic grocery bag.

The clear produce bags work good so other people wandering around would say "hey, where'd you get that salsa/etc?" 

At the last event I went to, the Portland OR Hot Sauce Expo in August 2016, I did not have salsa or hot sauces for sale, only Pure Evil products.  I sprung for some small custom printed bags.  Same material as most reusable grocery bags.  Printed with the Pure Evil logo.  Every purchase went into one of the bags so the folks would carry them around the event and hopefully get others to notice.    There was room in the bag for other sauces the customers may purchase. 

IMG_5795.JPG

Basically, I want to help the customer carry my stuff around the FM or event, and also have my product visible in the plastic bag or with the printed Pure Evil bag. 

for shipping, I use an INDESTRUCTO box from Uline.  Simple fold-over construction, and with 1/2 sheet of bubble wrap, it's been super reliable for shipping.  I've had one customer send me a picture of a box that looked like it got ran over by a fork lift.  Had to comp that one....but for the rest of the 1000+ that got shipped last year, they all arrived in good shape. 

I don't do holiday shows, so I don't have a need for a display window gift box.  So you have to ask yourself if a windowed Gift Box at a holiday event will help sales, ...., or knowing the "gift" will be wrapped anyway...maybe the 6x9x3 indestructo box with bubble wrap will work for both sales at a show and online sales.  Offer Gift Show customers the box as a "show Special"...knowing that a lot of people purchasing hot sauces at a  show are as a gift.   

Sorry, I probably got a little side-tracked~~~  Hope this helps~~~
SL

Back