• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Duane's Pepper Plantation 2010

AlabamaJack said:
great looking plants....absolutely great...

on the one with the curlin' leaves, do you use any epsom salt foliar feed?...if not, try it, I think you will like the results...

my favorite one is the very first picture...fantastic looking plant

Thanks so much, AJ! :) I'll tell Duane about the epsom salts idea. We should have some of that stuff around for sore gardener muscles. :rolleyes:

YW Sorellina...use 1 Tbsp epsom salts disolved in a gallon of water then mist the leaves...dojnt' do it when it is hot and sunny...may cause leaf scald...

I haved soaked many a day in an epsom salt bath....

fantastic, dark healthy looking plants you have there. The leaves look like they have a nice tan already :).

Question for AJ: How often are you doing the epsom salts treatment? I'm assuming you only use it when you start seeing yellowing leaves and not just as a foliar preventative? Then you rinse the leaves the following day of any salt residue? And when do you typically start to see improvement (I know it's dependent on a lot of things, not the least of which is variety and environmental conditions)? I'm asking because I don't want Duane to overdo it since this is a new type of treatment idea and never tried before.

I use it as a foliar feed when the seedlings are young...probably once a week/two weeks, but when I apply it, I apply it pretty heavy...I don't wash it off...just let it dry...the plants respond to it pretty quick...within a day you can see changes.....the biggest thing you are doing is making sure the plants have enough magnesium...magnesium is water soluable and will be washed away with each watering...when the plants are transplanted to 5 gallon containers, they get about a big tablespoon of epsom salt on the soil surface as a "side dressing"...then each time you water, the salt is disolved and becomes available for the roots to take some up...I side dress with epsom salt and a standard 10-10-10 peletized fertilize once a month during the grow season (May-Mid-August), then Mid August, I switch to a 7-14-7 or something like that....

I hope you understand that each person has to do it the way that works for them...with your grow season shorter than mine is, the way I do it may not work for you...I have adapted to the seasonal changes down here...I lose July and August production because of the heat, but the plants flourish in the heat and become very big...when the weather cools in September, they have 3 full months of production...

As far as it helping goes, I really don't remember all the reasons I do it, but it is mostly because Grandma Mattie did it and she grew gorgeous tomatos and peppers and she learned from her grandma......so it is just my standard routine for growing the plants...and has been for many years...I sure don't think it hurts and epsom salt is cheap...

sorry to ramble...just thinkin' out loud...

Ciao AJ-

You're not rambling, you're communicating, one of the best qualities in a man as far as I'm concerned! :) Thanks for all the information, I'm sure it's going to help immensely. I'll post Duane's results here and new photos of the treated plants.

Ciao all-

AJ, you sure were right about the epsom salts! I guess they were really hungry for magnesium because they perked up within a day of the treatment. A few still have a little bit of yellowing so Duane's going to treat those this weekend. Thanks so much for your help!

yw Sorelinna, definitely not a new technique and a lot of gardeners know the epsom salt trick...now you and Duane have joined the club...glad they perked up for you...

Back