• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Dwarf Fruit Trees

Since I have more room than I thought, and don't have enough seeds to fill the area, I'm thinking about growing some dwarf fruit trees: Sweet and Sour Cherries, Apples, Peaches and Apricots, along with some strawberries (Ozark Beauty - everbearing) and Blackberries (Triple Crown). I realize it may be three years before I get much produce, but I can't turn back the clock.

Has anyone got experience with these fruits? I've read some posts on the net where growers say they actually had production in the second season, but only a bushel of apples, for example. But having fresh fruit would be a bonus at Farmers Markets. Plus my daughter wants me to dehydrate a lot of the fruit and turn it into a type of trail mix. The trees cost about $10-12 each, as do the Blackberries, but the strawberries are about $25/100, so it wouldn't be that huge of an investment (I've already spent nearly $500 on growing media and seeds this year). OTOH, some dwarf trees are about $26. More expensive, but one difference is the size - they are 4-6' tall when shipped instead 1.5-2.5. That probably knocks a year off the production time. They also seem to be grafted onto better rootstocks, though I know next to nothing about the latter, only that some are more resistant to diseases and grow better in different types of soil. But at a buck a pound for cherries or such, it would only take 15 pounds more in the second or third year to pay for itself. Plus, I suspect the survival rate is much better for the larger trees.

If you grow any, any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Blackberries can be touchy at first for fungicide but if treated that first year by second year they'll be taking off like wildfire. Once established they are hard to get rid of so place in a area you really want them. Always when planting strawberries make sure the crown (The Middle) isn't burried cause that almost always means a sure death (they don't like smoke either). Buying dwarf fruit trees will mature faster but the produce will also be small. Don't expect boat loads but what you get will usually taste slightly better than regular fruit trees. Raised a dwarf bannana tree once and loved them cause they weren't as sweet as regular ones.

Robby,

At some point in time (2 years, 5 years, a decade, a century!?) The state is gonna swoop in and take a big piece of my garden to make the Interstate wider. Given Ohio nor the Feds have any extra money to spend now :dance: I should be safe for a while! The one thing I need to consider - the plot is about 125 feet wide, and there is another 25-30 feet from it to where State's Right of Way. The plans call for only adding a lane, if they win the lottery, two. That would be what - 20 feet or so. So if I grow the trees and berries on the east side, opposite where the highway is, I don't think I would lose much ground. But the good thing is, it makes it less likely for the village to sell it to anyone, at least in the near future. I'm 56 and if I can farm that ground for 10-15 years, either at its current size or even 4,000 sq. ft. smaller, I'll be happy!

Mike

I would be happy too. Make sure to plant some thorn bushes, prickly pears, and poision ivy ( I can roll in it and not be affected ) so when those Feds come through they have something to remember you by :)

Robby,

I don't think so! The area is fenced and gated. Yeah, people can sneak in but I'm not going to make it harder for me. I hate thorns and am allergic to poison ivy, though if I take a soapy shower just after being exposed to it, I don't tend to break out.

Mike

Robby,

Yeah, but not just because they are thornless. Triple Crown is apparently the premier BB these days. The area has some steep hills at one end and part of a side, not good for veggies. But the area gets full sun, all day long and is far enough removed from the present road, I don't see the state taking it. So what if a few years from now, I only have room for 1300 maters, a row of onions, peas, and chard! If I can keep renting the ground (currently about 24,000 sq. ft, of space) for $5/yr., I'll be happy!

Mike

As for fruit tree if your talking Lime or lemon trees you don't have to get dwarf as they can be cut down smaller every year. Mine do better in Pots then the ground. Just don't let them get cold. Also better not to try from seeds as most from taste not good and loaded with seeds.

As for fruit tree if your talking Lime or lemon trees you don't have to get dwarf as they can be cut down smaller every year. Mine do better in Pots then the ground. Just don't let them get cold. Also better not to try from seeds as most from taste not good and loaded with seeds.

Too cold in Cincinnati for citrus, though I do have an orange tree upstairs!

Mike

you can dwarf your fruits trees in a sense with colored shade nets...blue spectrum...Mike check polysack.com, Chromatinet blue.

Jacob,

These are dwarf trees by nature. They will be planted in a large field, part of which will be an orchard. When te time comes, I'll probably buy netting for the cherry trees.

It's important to keep in mind this is a "Demonstartion Project" showing how unused or underused urban land can be used to create a Permaculture or Locavore, not a backyard garden! I need to justify expenses, keep track of Growing Degree Days, weigh the produce from each group of plants. It's a trade-off. Lease 24,000 sq. ft. for $5, keep records! At this point, it appears to be a great deal.

Mike

i cant speak for other dwarf trees, but i bought a generic meyer lemon at HD, and so far i have nothing but good things to say. so far this thing has been blooming like crazy... the smell they give off is amazing, almost like a citrusy sweet smell. they also attract bees like nobodies buisness, when i get home theres always one hanging around the flowers. hopefully those bees will find my toms and pepper plants... so i can stop buzzing them with this electric toothbrush.

does anyone know what to fertilize these with(n-p-k wise)? i was going to pot it up to a 7 gallon nursury container with foxfarm ocean forest/perlite mix.

edit: bad grammar

I have a dwarf key lime I just got this year... it's not doing much right now, but at least it hasn't died. I'll probably perk up once the weather warms and I can put it outside regularly.

Back