• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DWC "Bubble Bucket"....Hydro Newb,,,,Questions

redeyes said:
no man just sun system and cool tubs... i told you man they are HOT!!! cool tubs with a hood is the best ... did you see my hoods in my tent??? those are the best IMO...if you look on line you can find some good deals for hoods ... and your stuff is looking nice also man... keep up the good work!!!

here is my link http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=8324

Ok I did some research on cool tubes and it seems that would be the perfect fit for my small closet. Even though I will loose some light I probably have a LOT more light then I need for such a small space. However what's the cost on the cool tubes? Keep in mind I paid less than $100 2 ballast 3 bulbs and my hood. The reason why I was looking at the hydrofarm Luminaire is because I can get a fairly new hood for around $20.00. Plus I can use the same hood for both MH/HPS where those cool tubes are only around 6". I do have a Eye Hortilux M1000B/U/BT37/HTL bulb that I could use if I found a good deal on a tube.

Do you use the tube and the hood together? I did read your post a while back and will eventually will go to hydro, but I could only see the hood not what was under them.

LGHT said:
Ok I did some research on cool tubes and it seems that would be the perfect fit for my small closet. Even though I will loose some light I probably have a LOT more light then I need for such a small space. However what's the cost on the cool tubes? Keep in mind I paid less than $100 2 ballast 3 bulbs and my hood. The reason why I was looking at the hydrofarm Luminaire is because I can get a fairly new hood for around $20.00. Plus I can use the same hood for both MH/HPS where those cool tubes are only around 6". I do have a Eye Hortilux M1000B/U/BT37/HTL bulb that I could use if I found a good deal on a tube.

Do you use the tube and the hood together? I did read your post a while back and will eventually will go to hydro, but I could only see the hood not what was under them.

yeah man the tube come in the hood already installed and with a cord i think i paid around 125.00 each new.. you might be able to find a good deal out there... and the 1000 watter fits nice in there not sure if MH bulb will fit or not... looks to small for it... i do not use MH any more so i never got to try it for sure... i only like T-5's for veg now....

redeyes said:
yeah man the tube come in the hood already installed and with a cord i think i paid around 125.00 each new.. you might be able to find a good deal out there... and the 1000 watter fits nice in there not sure if MH bulb will fit or not... looks to small for it... i do not use MH any more so i never got to try it for sure... i only like T-5's for veg now....

Ok I found a tube and a hood and can probably get both with a 600 watt bulb included for around $30.00. Still not sure how the tubes work though. The ones I found is basically just a tube without any type of hood included. The top does have reflective coating, but that's about it. The hood is just a standard 6 or 8" Hydrofarm Luminair hood, but it has the glass underneath making it a sealed unit and has the vent hole on both ends allowing me to hookup a fan. Am I suppose to get both a cool tube AND a hood or just the tube or just the hood? Unfortunetly the equipment I can get is pretty limited, but is dirt cheap! I also found a MH bulb that will fit in the tube because it's only 5.5" thick and the tube is 7" thick. It's basically the same Eye Hortilux Super MH bulb, but a lot smaller and only rated for 10,000 hours of use. Here are a couple of pics.

Tube
tube.jpg

Hood
hood.jpg

You only need one or the other in my experience,why would you put a cool tube in a hood that already has glass to seal the hood unless you have a unvented hood and want to rig it with the cool tube to vent it and get good light distribution, this one is up in the air for those whom have used both. Lets look at some pros and cons.I would think you would get better light distribution with a hood but I could be wrong. The cool tube is smaller than a hood making it easier to handle. With the hood I am assuming you wouldn't need to purchase anything else whereas with the cool tube you would have to purchase another mh lamp to fit it. I just reread that you are getting both for $30, man you lucky bastard that is cheap. I would probably use the hood but if the closet is small you would probably be happier with the cool tube lets see what others say. BTW, if you don't want the hood let me know I would like to buy it from you.I just realized this thread has been hijacked,my bad. Also not trying to break forum rules by purchasing out of the marketplace forum,just wanted to mention it if interested,sorry in advance.

Well, that's what I thought initially, but I read "no man just sun system and cool tubs... I told you man they are HOT!!! cool tubs with a hood is the best" from redeye's and I thought ok I need to get cool tubes with a hood?? I guess I read it wrong. Sorry, but this is all new to me and I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. I did read up a bit more on the cool tubes and I read on another forum that you do loose some light because the glass enclosure, but you also decrease the heat in the room a lot more over a regular air cooled hood. The biggest issue is you don't get a good spread of light, but because my closet is so small that's not an issue. For me heat is the biggest issue right now. Plus if I get the tube I'll get the small MH bulb with it. My plants seem to be handling the heat better, but from what I read having a fan blowing directly on the plants triggers the leaves to think they are in a very dry environment and forces them to sweat. I did notice a lot of them sweating so I need to do something. The temp even with the fan and raising the hood up a bit is still around 85. Doesn't seem like it's enough to kill them, but the smaller ones do wilt and I have been turning the light off for a few hours to give them a break. If I only need one I think I may go with the cool tube. What hood did you want? My old one (just a old sun system), a tube, or the 6,8" hydrofarm one? Shoot me a PM if you want I'm more than happy to help out a fellow indoor pepper grower!! The only problem with the hoods is they have glass on them and weigh a lot unless it's a tube.

Back