• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dying, Diseased, and Damaged

We've been pulling some pods each evening lately ...

IMG_2214.jpg

And a lot of pods are suddenly taking damage, I think from a quick moving spider I found earlier (still need to kill):

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

However, there are still leaves around that responded violently badly to the incorrect Safer spray ...

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Which kind of looks similar to pictures of bacterial leaf spot or whatever it was called in a thread I was reading earlier ...

The close calls are always the most interesting ...

I wouldn't be so quick to pin the blame on the spider... he may be there to help! ;) (snacking on whatever is causing the damage... that is of course if the damage to pods is pest related)

We've been pulling some pods each evening lately ...

IMG_2214.jpg

And a lot of pods are suddenly taking damage, I think from a quick moving spider I found earlier (still need to kill):

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

However, there are still leaves around that responded violently badly to the incorrect Safer spray ...

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Which kind of looks similar to pictures of bacterial leaf spot or whatever it was called in a thread I was reading earlier ...

The close calls are always the most interesting ...

pull everything off that has those white looking spots....I don't know what it is, but it spreads very quickly. Spray it with H202 solution 1 cup peroxide to 1 gallon of water) This crap has all but wiped out my thai sun and bird's eye pepper plants within a week of seeing a first spot. Pull all diseased leaves and spray with the solution....can anybody identify what this stuff is?

pull everything off that has those white looking spots....I don't know what it is, but it spreads very quickly. Spray it with H202 solution 1 cup peroxide to 1 gallon of water) This crap has all but wiped out my thai sun and bird's eye pepper plants within a week of seeing a first spot. Pull all diseased leaves and spray with the solution....can anybody identify what this stuff is?

Well ... yeah ... I'm starting to believe that is something opportunistic that took advantage of the damage that resulted from the incorrect Safer spray application. It was clear as day that it set in afternoon following the evening where I used: http://amzn.com/B002ITKYRK thinking it was http://amzn.com/B000BQNBXQ while trying to fight some powdery mildew that was ravaging my maters:

IMG_1464.jpg

It's always something ...

It's without a doubt bacteria leaf spot.

You can look up "bacteria leaf spot on pepper plants or peppers" on google and the pictures will match yours perfectly. Including the pod shots.
It is a very very fast moving problem, and won't show any plant any mercy. I almost lost 250 plants to it this year. I saw a few spots... 2 days later... My entire garden was completely infected. BigBody is right.. You need to remove any leaves with the spots on them. I've never tried that solution he mentioned but Bonide Fruit Citrus and Nut Orchard Spray saved my entire season, you can use it even on the day of harvest. Not only will it solve any fungal problems but it takes out any insects as well.
Good luck.. Seems bac spot is very common this year.
Brandon

It's without a doubt bacteria leaf spot.

You can look up "bacteria leaf spot on pepper plants or peppers" on google and the pictures will match yours perfectly. Including the pod shots.
It is a very very fast moving problem, and won't show any plant any mercy. I almost lost 250 plants to it this year. I saw a few spots... 2 days later... My entire garden was completely infected. BigBody is right.. You need to remove any leaves with the spots on them. I've never tried that solution he mentioned but Bonide Fruit Citrus and Nut Orchard Spray saved my entire season, you can use it even on the day of harvest. Not only will it solve any fungal problems but it takes out any insects as well.
Good luck.. Seems bac spot is very common this year.
Brandon

I'm at a point where it'll be better to strip back all the plants w/ it and nuke 'em than it will be to risk infected the many more starts that are still fine ...

Guess I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow, maybe before ...

better to reduce to a skeleton or a stump?

I'm at a point where it'll be better to strip back all the plants w/ it and nuke 'em than it will be to risk infected the many more starts that are still fine ...

Guess I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow, maybe before ...

better to reduce to a skeleton or a stump?

If by "nuke" you mean toss the infected, you don't need to take it that far.. I had to throw away a half dozen out of 250 that just couldn't shake it. The trunk itself got infected on that half dozen.. Once it's taking over the core, the plant is all done dancin. Keep in mind as well. my infection was alot worse than yours when I started taking action(wet weather will do that) You can see pictures in my glog.. Reduce the plant to a skeleton. New shoots WILL come back. I'd be spraying not only the infected but uninfected starts as well.. Just incase any spores have traveled to those plants as well. Keep us posted!
Brandon

Definitely agree that is some kind of bacterial infection. Don't kill your spider! Spiders are carnivores. They won't hurt your plants and are probably killing all kinds of pest insects for you.

I decided to stump a number of the BLS plants because the timing should work out pretty well along w/ the other 5 dozen plants we've transplanted from CCN the past 2 weeks and I don't want to encourage that stuff to proliferate - it's nasty.

We just started a couple of days long tropical event here on the SW coast of FL and it's pretty much the ideal conditions for outside starts (compared to the 95F/dry days) ...

IMG_2338.jpg

Now that the side of the house is loaded w/ Topsy's, I can start plotting the entire backyard - which is otherwise useless ... I might rig up a bunch of those zany guy's gutter systems because I think there's still enough time here, even from seed ...

if you will cut those pods in half that have holes in them, chances are you will see a little grub eating the insides...sure as the devil looks like pepper maggot damage to me on the pods...if there is only one hole in the pods, then pepper maggots are even more likely...

if you will cut those pods in half that have holes in them, chances are you will see a little grub eating the insides...sure as the devil looks like pepper maggot damage to me on the pods...if there is only one hole in the pods, then pepper maggots are even more likely...

love a good hack, so i halved them to check ... nothing living ... seems like the BLS was opportunistic and took advantage of the damage the wrong Safer caused ...

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

Seems like the mustard hab's are somewhat resistant, though ... they had a little, but fared MUCH better than most of the rest ...

Don't kill your spider! Spiders are carnivores.

Actually they are vampires. They don't eat the flesh of the bug. ;)

Grant,

Why do you say, "incorrect safer spray?" What did you use? All the Safer sprays I have seen contain BT which I have never heard of it harming a plant.
I don't see how it could since it is a bacteria that kills certain bugs only.

Actually they are vampires. They don't eat the flesh of the bug. ;)

Grant,

Why do you say, "incorrect safer spray?" What did you use? All the Safer sprays I have seen contain BT which I have never heard of it harming a plant.
I don't see how it could since it is a bacteria that kills certain bugs only.

I highly recommend not trying: http://amzn.com/B002ITKYRK

The BLS came in behind the leaf damage that happened uniformly overnight everywhere I used the Safer spray (an overreaction to powdery mildew on my maters) ... here's photos of the original damage, that was on EVERY leaf on EVERY plant that I'd sprayed ... I was dark green and lush and w/o blemish one night, I prophylactically sprayed the peppers before sundown, and when I came home the next day from work every leaf was:

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

"[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Actually they are vampires. They don't eat the flesh of the bug. [/background] ;)"

Well, tomayto, tomahto. They inject venom into the victim which liquifies the soft parts and then they suck that out, so yeah, carnivamp.

Back