• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Early season superhot?

I'm new to growing and recently found out about "early season" and "late season" chili peppers. I seem to have grown "late season" peppers this year (Bhutlah, Jolokia, Scorpions). They are still green and the first frost is right around the corner. The outside growing season is quite short where I live so I'm thinking of growing some "early season" chili peppers next year. Inside growing is not an option for me, and I don't have space for a greenhouse. Does anyone know of an "early season" superhot? If not a superhot, then the closest thing to one heat-wise, please.

I was looking back through my pepper pics, and the first supers I had turn ripe this year were Primos, Devil's Hearts and BBG7, at a little less than 3 months after plant out. 7-Pot Rennie Chocolates weren't too far behind them. I started seeds early indoors, end of Decemeber - Early January. For hab level, my Paper Lanterns started putting out ripe pods early too.

Also, the plants that produced ripe pods early were in 3-gal containers. The same types of plants in ground took longer for me. I think in smaller containers, they get root bound quicker and switch to producing fruit, whereas the ground plants will continue to just grow for a longer period before fruiting.

Thanks for the replies. It never occurred to me that plants in the ground might take longer. I'd rather have a lower yield of ripe peppers than a bountiful yield of unripe peppers! 

There are some C. chinense that are early.   I've grown a couple. Some listed as such have not been as early as stated. It is true that most are not early and many are very late.  I have yet to find a superhot of larger size that is early.  PI 441624 is probably superhot (in a previous post I speculated that it might be superhot, last season on a large growout it was superhot in my estimation).  It's considered early by the USDA ARS (Agricultural Research Service). It's not 'very early' however.  It's probably about 75 days (first ripe).  You get many more after about 85 days. However, it's also really small, like a tepin.  It's one of my favorites for flavor however. It's also quite ornamental .  I am pretty sure it's the Cumari do Pará, as its origin in in the state of Pará, Brazil, and looks just like the other peppers called this. My estimation is that this species of chile has not been grown long enough by people in temperate climates to get a number of early varieties established.  Then mix in the superhot category and your number of early types goes way down.  So backyard breeders you have your work cut out for you! Please?

If we want to throw hab and hab like plants in there, Red Sav and Fatalii are fast for me.  Good thing too cause I love to stuff Red Savs.

Back