• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Earthbox Peppers

I'm growing Pinot Noir (Burpee seed) bells in an Earthbox. They are starting to pod and are taking off.

IMG_1109.jpg

I'm also growing tomatoes in them. Here's a photo across the pool and over the bayou...

That's a Kumquat in the foreground next to flowerbed.

IMG_1115.jpg

scarpetti said:
Could you throw my golf ball back to me, please? It's right there, on the middle of the lawn. What is an Earthbox?

It is a growing box with a water reservoir in the bottom. There is a platform with holes a couple inches up from the bottom that holds the soil. Then there is a tube in that platform that goes down into the reservoir. That tube gets filled with soil and wicks up water into the rest of the container. All you have to do is keep the reservoir full and the container waters itself as it dries out.

For those that are square foot challenged, it's a great way to grow vegetables. No weeds to hoe and very easy to maintain. Yields per square foot of gardening area are very high. There are actually commercial growers that use them exclusively.

Here's a link for anyone interested...

http://www.earthbox.com/

Josh,

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking about making some knockoffs also to save a little money. I'm definitely impressed with how they're working this year.

These earthbox thingies look pro! I'm a wee bit pedantic about watering so i very much like the idea of self watering pots :P

Do you follow their instructions on using a 'strip' of dry fertilizer in the middle of the rows? How do you handle fertilizing the Pinot Noirs?

LancelBracken said:
These earthbox thingies look pro! I'm a wee bit pedantic about watering so i very much like the idea of self watering pots :P

Do you follow their instructions on using a 'strip' of dry fertilizer in the middle of the rows? How do you handle fertilizing the Pinot Noirs?

LB,

I followed the directions and placed a strip of ordinary granular fertilizer down the middle. I will not fertilize again unless I detect they need it. The filler pipe would be a good place to add fertilizer in with the water. However, I don't think it will be necessary as I added a nice strip of fertilizer and the potting soil was already enriched.

Bob

I have 3 of those Earth Boxes from 2 or 3 years ago, and to tell you the truth, I didn't have much luck with them at all...very slow/poor growth, no matter how much i cared for them, and kept them watered. I must have had bad luck or the wrong kind of soil/etc. to fill them. I'm doing much better with my first hydroponic unit this year (One Autopot unit...two 10 inch pots). My 7 pod and fatalii are loving it.

Superdv1,

It may be that the "wicking" process never started. I noticed for the first 3 weeks or so, that the plants were sort of in standby mode. But, after that, they blasted off - I'm assuming because the roots started approaching the water reservoir and started pulling up the water.

Anyway, I've got tomatoes and peppers of the same varieties both in the EB's and either in pots or ground and the EB stuff is really rolling.

I will definitely be doing more EB gardening next year. There's no tilling, soil amendment, weeding, watering and the yields per square foot are very high.

Back