• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic Easy DIY Pepper EBB and Flow hydroponic unit

Video July 7th
July 13th photo

Photos will be uploaded next weekend showing a one week progression.

I have an airpump and am looking for a container with water tight lid to test side by side against DWC (deep water culture)
DWC should win but it is so loud :)

Nute said:
Video July 7th
July 13th photo

Photos will be uploaded next weekend showing a one week progression.

I have an airpump and am looking for a container with water tight lid to test side by side against DWC (deep water culture)
DWC should win but it is so loud :)

Nute,

If by DWC you mean using a 5-25 gallon container, filled with water, with holes cut in the lid, pots set in the holes and an air stone to bubble water, what do you mean by loud? I have two of them sitting in the dining room and they are only audible if I get right next to them. If I had it in my bedroom and the window was open, the crickets would make more noise.

I figure the cost to build a DWC system, not including the bucket and lid, to be about $10. I would use 5" pots for large plants, two inch ones if I was growing something like lettuce. Of course, YMMV.

Mike

Yes a 1-2 gal container.
Aqua Culture 5-15 gal pump 1200cc
The 5in airstone expects 1000cc
It is a $6 pump. There are Tetrafins? with feet.
Are they quieter? Which is yours?

The 225 led panel came in today.
It fits nice in a small plastic bin over the too many pepper sprouts.
The sprouts were a pain outside to keep wet but now under the led there is no heat.
They will lose their spot under it when I figure out a very easy way to use a plastic bin as a grow box which holds the led light and the little hydro unit in the video.

The 225 led light appears to light a 18inx18in space well.
Is anyone using it on peppers over a larger area as the only source of light?

Nute,

It's a Whisper 10. I think Tetrafin in the manufacturer but I don't have the box - I sent AJ a potato in it.

I used a LED for peppers and eggplants and they did quite well. It had stronger blue than red light and they plants developed thick leaves with very little internodal space. I kept it close so it only covered a 14"x14" space. Currently, it's taking care of a bhut and habanero that are in hydro.

Mike

The 225 panel has blue bulbs around 460nm
To fully compliment this the Actinic 420nm lights will work great.
This is only needed if you want faster growth or find that the 225 model with a majority of red leds is causing stretching.

For next year's seedlings (and this winter's tomatoes!), I'm using the 112 bulb, 45 watt lights. I know that if I keep the light somewhat close - a foot or less, the plants will not get leggy. If I need additional lights for the tomatoes, I will probably use the 25 watt, 2700K CFL lights.

Mike

Hydroponic Pepper Progress

hyd_pepper_7_07.jpg

hyd_pepper_7_13.jpg

hyd_pepper_7_20.jpg

Stick to the rocks vs. perilite.

DWC works great but print says that the long roots without hairs are not as optimal as aeroponic roots.

Could ebb and flow be the best of both DWC and Aeroponics?

What happens when you support each root in aeroponics but leave plenty of room for air and want to maintain a dark enviornment- you get ebb and flow with round lava rocks :)

hyd_pepper_7_27.jpg

Aphids attacked.
Bottom leaves removed.
Spray made the plants a bit tender.
Blossom appeared on one so switched to bloom fertilizer.
1/2oz of nutrients are added to tap water.
The nutrients come in one bottle and is a mix of these and more:
seabird guano, bat guano, earthworm castings, fish meal, sea kelp (ascophyllum nodosum), humic acid, and silica clay extract
All the trouble of the perfect fertilizer and perfect soil is always done 100% right with this system.

Back