food Easy Sauerkraut

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Makin some Purple Sauerkraut  :drooling:

Nice work on the purple kraut, looks great. that will be good on some hot dogs

I made some kraut a few weeks ago, it hanging out in the fridge I munch on it now and then just out of the jar but we made some rueben's the other night with it.

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

:cheers:

I typically make sauerkraut in Le Parfait 1.5L / 2L jars. They're easily purchased at this end, and I also bought a glass drill, grommets and airlocks (see images below).

But the issue has been what to weigh the kraut (cabbage) down with and here's a solution! It's a Pyrex 'milk watcher'... Perfect for fitting through the 80 mm mouth of the jars.

glass-weight-01.png

And so an example of it in use (a bit cloudy because inadvertently I disturbed the contents, but it's in there...):

sauerkraut_02.jpg

And an example where it's not in use, but it's hard to tell - not forgetting I promised to post a red/purple sauerkraut ferment...:

sauerkraut_03.jpg

The quantities mentioned before apply: 2% salt per weight of cabbage and then 2% brine solution to cover the ferment.

nice.chili said:
I typically make sauerkraut in Le Parfait 1.5L / 2L jars. They're easily purchased at this end, and I also bought a glass drill, grommets and airlocks (see images below).

But the issue has been what to weigh the kraut (cabbage) down with and here's a solution! It's a Pyrex 'milk watcher'... Perfect for fitting through the 80 mm mouth of the jars.

glass-weight-01.png

And so an example of it in use (a bit cloudy because inadvertently I disturbed the contents, but it's in there...):

sauerkraut_02.jpg

And an example where it's not in use, but it's hard to tell - not forgetting I promised to post a red/purple sauerkraut ferment...:

sauerkraut_03.jpg

The quantities mentioned before apply: 2% salt per weight of cabbage and then 2% brine solution to cover the ferment.
Gave me an idea for weights just now, glass ashtray, preferably unused though lol.

Just checked and the ones I have are bigger than a widemouth jar lol

Yeah - I was pretty chuffed when I stumbled upon this solution, being food grade and all. Especially the bit about fitting through the mouth of the jar(!).

It's possible to buy purpose designed weights but they're not that cheap. I've read some comments about what's not in the glass (lead?) and thus making it suitable for fermentation purposes - I can't speak for the Pyrex milk watcher solution, but I'm guessing it's good - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex

Back