• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ebb N' Flow medium question

This year I started most of my seeds in rockwool and now they're in an ebb n' flow tray in 3" inch pots filled with hydroton. I don't really like they way they're looking compared to last year when I hand watered them in peat moss. I was wondering if I can use peat moss in an ebb n' flow system instead of the rockwool and the hydroton. But what I'm concerned with is the peat moss slowly running through the whole in the pots and eventually getting down to my reservoir which would clog up my pump. Has anyone tried this and if so, did you have any problems with it?

Thanks!

I've done it with coco coir and I know others have done it w/ peat based mixes. What were you planning to do after the 3 inch pots of hydroton?

Here's my logic, it might be completely askew lol I wouldn't need to re-pot as early as I would had I started my seeds in peat because they'll have more room to grow in hydroton and they'll get nutrients directly from the water (3 half hour feed a day). I opted for hydroton because of my concern with peat moss ending up in my reservoir. I'll transfer them into 1 liter pots with peat moss once they get about a foot long (hopefully sometime in late April). As you may well know, we don't really have a long growing season so I wanted to get a head start but also had to take into account the fact that I don't have that large a grow area indoors. I'm not sure what to do once I pot up but most likely I'll keep them in my grow tent until the weather gets warm enough to be able to take them outside (early to mid-may).

Any advice? This is only second year growing and my first year growing in an apartment so I don't really have that much experience when it comes to growing periods.

Back