• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Eephus Man's 2012 March to Hell and Back (Grow Log)

Okay, I'm going to *actually* try and update things this year. My first flats will start tomorrow (chinenses and a few other long-seasons), and the rest, minus a few herbs/tomatoes, will go in later this week or early next. I'm going to try and be better about keeping records this year, too. We'll see how it goes with my limited time, but I'm hopeful.

So...without further blab, here's a tease of a few batches of seeds soaking in a seaweed/superthrive solution over night.

My current grow list looks like this:

Peppers (Hot)

7-Pot White (OP)
Aji Angelo
Aji Omnicolor
BAC593605
Bahamian Finger (Direct Sourced!)
Barro do Robiero
Billy Biker Jalapeno
Bonda ma Jacques
Broome
CA438633
Cheiro do Norte
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero (OP)
Criolla Sella
Congo Trinidad
Datil
Fatalii
Fish
Goat's Weed
Guampinho de Veado
Habanero de Arbol
Hinkelhatz
Hot Portugal (OP)
Mustard Habanero
Naga Jolokia
NuMex Jalmundo
Peach Scorpanero
Peppadew
Pilange (OP)
Rooster Spur (seedlings destroyed)
Santa Fe Grande
Thai Hot
Uyababa
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Zimbabwe Bird

Peppers (Sweet or Very Mild Heat)

Ashe County Pimiento (0% germination)
Buran
Canary Bell (Two germinated, gave both away)
Cubanelle
Dulce di Minvervino
Hungarian Wax
Jimmy Nardello's
Kaleidoscope
Kalocsa
Kurtovska Kapiya 1619
Miniature Red Bell
Piment D'espelette (0% germination)
Pimiento L
Piquillo
R Naky
Shishito
Sweet Banana
Sweet Chocolate (lost seed, did not plant)
Sweet Pickle

I'm trying out small batches of varietals that are new to me, and larger for those that are known favs for me. Most of these will end up in pots or small raised beds. My title is in reference to the well-known summer conditions in Texas this year, where we were spared little in the way of either rainfall (none between late April and early October) or temperatures (over 100F for 90 days, including two, back-to-back 25+ day runs over 100F). This is also a test to see which varieties produce before the heat set, during the summer, and which begin to produce again the most quickly in the fall.

We'll see how it goes and I'm happy to have you on board for advice, tips, questions and observations!

Special thanks this year to Buck77, Kappy, menotume, hot stuff, and Spicegeist for help with wanted seeds and unrequested generosity!

Thanks, Gary. One of the things I'm planning on doing this year is fertilizing much more frequently. Probably weekly, if not ever five days. It won't be anywhere near full strength, but I feel like I missing something compared to a lot of container growers. We'll see if that works better this year, and I'm trying to clear one more spot in my back yard for in-ground stuff, which is always bigger/better for me, but also more of a pest/animal pain.

It also seems like a lot of you guys that start later usually catch up pretty quickly. How frequently do you pot up? I think if I stayed on top of that, mine would be much larger. I'm amazed at how fast my early pot ups are filling out and edging each other out. May have to pot up once more for some pet plants.

Thanks, I'm planning on catching up pretty quickly—I will definitely be using more nitrogen ferts than I did last year, especially in the early season, to help keep the BLS, my old nemesis, at bay.

I usually pot up only once—from the little Jiffy plugs to the square 3-inch peat pots. By the time they have outgrown the peat pots they are ready to go in the ground.

Most all of my plants are destined for the ground, but the few container "pets" I keep around aren't really potted up on a regular schedule. I'm not real good at container gardening—The potted plants that thrive do so by virtue of their own vigor and fortitude, not by any special attention I give them! A sort of "survival of the fittest" approach, I reckon.

And THIS, my friends, is what happens when you forget and leave your starts under the dripline of your home during an overnight rain...

Ack! I'm kicking myself this morning. The rain was fine, but that dripline has wreaked some havoc. More...

We'll see if this one makes it. Some of them are strewn about so much that I can't tell what's what anymore. Arrrgh.

Flooded. But in tact, at least.

Somehow, still standing.

Time to start reconstruction.

I cant wait to have some big ole' nasty over winters... I have a HUGE pot on my front porch that needs one of those rascals!

42F tonight and bringing them back in after a crazy three days of rain (for Austin of late, anyway). It's 45F tomorrow night and I'm probably going to gamble on leaving them out. Several high 40s nights so far and no problem whatsoever. Seem to be liking it outdoors better in regard to speed of growth. Hard to say. Either way, no room for them all in the house anymore! :D

Nice, cant wait to see how it goes when you guys hit summer there, if they summer like mine do here in central fla at times with the hheat.

Nice, cant wait to see how it goes when you guys hit summer there, if they summer like mine do here in central fla at times with the hheat.

It'll be interesting, if this winter is any indication of summer. Looks like a high of 82F Thursday. I know that's nothin' for you Floridians, but that's HOT for February. Even here. Looking more and more like an early spring, which is great. But I don't wanna jinx it.

Wow, what a **** story. They will probably come back fine, in nice fresh soil
after a good drenching. May become a new technique! Good luck
going forward e-man!

Sorry about your tough time getting started! :( Despite all that your plants look great and you will be truckin right along!
Unfortunately with growing plants there will be setbacks once in awhile :( nice glog!

Ack! Supposed to be a low of 42F last night. Dipped to 37F by daybreak. I have some pretty wilted seedlings in a few trays. Bummer. I'm hoping they spring back with the warmth today. Experiences, anyone? They aren't fully "melted" like they'll get in a full-on freeze. Just droopy. Are they goners?

Thanks, sync. It looks like a couple of them are already back. It's possible they were a little low on water, too. The cold front was *really* dry. I didn't take that into account since it's been very humid/rainy here lately. Especially compared to normal. Haven't had to water as often.

Mine bounced back when I left them out in the cold one night.... I had a tray last year the sprinkler got stuck and washed it out, they were ok when i got them planted back up.

Cold and wet cannot stop these bad boys!

Just a few update photos. Hopefully time for a more thorough undertaking tomorrow. About 1/3 are planted out (only pots so far).

From L to R and clockwise - Mystery pepper from Peppermania, Yellow Bhut overwinter, Bonda ma Jacques

Mystery pube from Peppermania

Aribibi Gusano (in my finest handwriting) and Chocolate Habanero overwinters

My first hibiscus bloom on a plant rescued from some filthy, putrid deer in an unwarranted and unprovoked attack last summer. Victory! And beautiful.

These look super eephus man; the rocoto looks great, and the
overwinters are really coming alive! Can't wait to see the
full update! Good luck going forward, man!

Back