• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Effects of cool weather

So I finally put a sad habanero in a SWC. When I bought it it was in a sad state because of overwatering. The temps at my house have been on the cool side for a while. What kind of long term effects cool weather can have on chilies?

Well sure, the growth is stunted, but will go to overtime when the temps are normal. If you have an abnormally cold summer then your plants will suffer.
Here in Thailand we've had the hottest weather in 59 years and my one producing plant hasn't put out a flower or fruit for months. Maintenance is the best you can hope for; at least if you're growing outside. Good Luck. :cool:

In the winter/spring, I always grow in cooler climates and I don't find my plants get stunted at all but they just grow a little slower but more compact which can really be a good thing especially growing indoors under lights
Even outdoores my plant get down below 10C most nights without problems. Its long term exposure to really cold weather and wind where problems may arise

Cold weather causes those little berries on your C. Chinense plants. I find the first month or two of the season tends to produce lots of berries due to 40-48F night lows. 68-75F daytime temps with 50F + night time temps are ideal for pepper growth.

Of course a few 80F + days are great too, not so much for setting fruit, but for developing fruit... As long as you keep your plants hydrated!

So I finally put a sad habanero in a SWC. When I bought it it was in a sad state because of overwatering. The temps at my house have been on the cool side for a while. What kind of long term effects cool weather can have on chilies?
You have to think of it this way, the plant is "cold blooded" so to speak, in that its primary and secondary metabolism must be conducted at ambient temperature. So if the temp is on the cool side this will slow down these processes thus leading to slowed growth and possible premature fruiting. If you get too hot, enzymes that run these metabolic reactions may become denatured and not work properly.

I am in the same boat as you Chocolate hab. All my chiles and tomatoes are in suspended animation. They have had almost no growth for a long time because of all the cool weather and rain. I have never had such a slow start till this year. I think they are confused. A few days of warm weather here and there just isn't cutting it so far. I'm worried.

I am in the same boat as you Chocolate hab. All my chiles and tomatoes are in suspended animation. They have had almost no growth for a long time because of all the cool weather and rain. I have never had such a slow start till this year. I think they are confused. A few days of warm weather here and there just isn't cutting it so far. I'm worried.
Yeah my bell peppers are already trying to bloom even though they are only about 6-7 inches tall. For this time of year they should be at least a foot or more tall. I will pinch those buds. I just hope I don't live to regret this they way this season is going.

Us Washington growers are hav'in a cruddy time. I'm glad I have these posts to read, being that I'm a noob and am a little inpatient. I've got to watch my over watering carefully.

My chlli's are not fairing so well, too much rain. They have all wilted and are getting black spots and curled up leaves. If the weather doesn't dry out and warm up soon, (like tomorrow) I am afraid I will loose all of them. It just keeps raining, staying way too cold, and I am pissed. So much for my first year of growing peppers in the Pacific Northwest.............a big bust. :banghead:

My chlli's are not fairing so well, too much rain. They have all wilted and are getting black spots and curled up leaves. If the weather doesn't dry out and warm up soon, (like tomorrow) I am afraid I will loose all of them. It just keeps raining, staying way too cold, and I am pissed. So much for my first year of growing peppers in the Pacific Northwest.............a big bust. :banghead:

That is EXACTLY the reason I chose to grow all my peppers in containers. Since this is my first year growing peppers as well as growing anything in washington I just didn't want to take any extra chances. Don't get me wrong...I HATE lugging all those pots in & out of the garage but as we used to always say..."you don't have to like you just have to do it".

Hope everyone's season begins to pick up with bright, warm and sunny days ahead. I know we could all use them.

Us Washington growers are hav'in a cruddy time. I'm glad I have these posts to read, being that I'm a noob and am a little inpatient. I've got to watch my over watering carefully.

A friend in Hubbard tells me Oregonians on the west side aren't faring any better. Another friend in Portland is cryin the blues also.
It's ironic I've got the exact opposite hassle; too bloody hot! Hey it only got to 35.5c(96f) today. :woohoo:

Jaysus; the last 4 posts (before mine) are all Washingtonians! :eek:

Back