• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik Mayan Style

Does anyone know what type of habanero they use in this and how they get that nice smokey flavor? Probably orange habanero since it's the most popular, but they use yellow habaneros in the Caribbean sauce, so maybe not. I've made hot sauces with similar ingredients and they taste good, but it's not the same. I tried roasting the peppers (and garlic and tomato) but it still doesn't have that flavor, I'm guessing I need to smoke them on some kind of wood or something but other than that I have no idea. I can't seem to find any information on the internet.

ORANGE, RED AND UNRIPE GREEN FROM WHAT I KNOW OF IT

LOOKS LIKE BABY POOP BUT THE FLAVOR IS GREAT!~!

THANKS JOE

Yeah, can't get those here. are the El Yucateco sauces really that good?

The green and red are decent, not nothing special. The xxxtra hot is awesome though. It's barely any hotter than the green but the flavor is great. The Caribbean is very good too.

The green and red are decent, not nothing special. The xxxtra hot is awesome though. It's barely any hotter than the green but the flavor is great.
Totally agree with the above statements.

The xxxtra hot version is really good imho and worth plunking down the $2 to try.

Never tried the caribbean though, and i don't remember seeing it.

The green and red are decent, not nothing special. The xxxtra hot is awesome though. It's barely any hotter than the green but the flavor is great. The Caribbean is very good too.
I actually preferred El Yucateco's green and red habanero sauce over their "XXX-hot" type. XXX's flavor is just not appealing to me. IMO there's not too much of a difference in flavor with the green vs. red and the green is only just barely hotter of the two to me, but I like the relatively strong habanero flavor (and lack of vinegar--I hate that crap) that they both have. Never had the Caribbean one even though I'd like to try it, never seen it anywhere. Never seen any other El Yucateco sauces around here either for that matter.

Admittedly, so far I haven't got heavily into hot sauces, but El Yucateco's are some of my favorites. Valentina (regular and extra-hot) and Huy Fong Sriacha hot sauce are pretty good too... not really that hot, but pretty good tasting and best of all... no vinegar.

Tapatio really pissed me off... vinegar is nowhere listed in the ingredients, so I bought it (yes, for that reason), popped the cap, and BOOM! A whiff of vinegar! The catch? Both water and acetic acid were on the list of ingredients. As I later found out, those two chemicals--when combined--are also, more commonly known as...

...drumroll...

...vinegar!

Deceiving assholes, they'll never get another penny from me.

There's a specialized hot sauce shop that just opened up just down the road, but their stuff costs quite a bit and I'm afraid to get anything there because it probably mostly uses extracts and has a nasty, chemically flavor. And even worse, a lot of the stuff they carry is probably stupid hot, requiring little dabs on a freakin' toothpick to not go overboard, and that's just a poor way to add flavor.

Yeah it does have an odd brown color, I suppose that would make sense for the color. How did you find that out?

if i didn't miss my guess its a Mayan recipe and the Mayans used alot of red, orange and green Habs in there food and sauces, it was just a little piece of common knowledge i had stored away until now and cant remember where i got it as for the other ingredients i have no idea

i hope this was helpful
thanks your friend joe

Yeah, can't get those here. are the El Yucateco sauces really that good?

HELLO OMRI!!
Willard is correct you can do better its good but your not missing much, my friend uses it in his Mexican restaurant on the tables, and it really does look like baby poo!! :eek:

thanks your friend Joe :cool:

The best thing to do in a restaurant it to ask for the chef's salsa picante. The chef makes his own for the same reason chile heads make their own.

I use mostly dried chile and, if I'm stuck out not in a Mejican restaurant, I use the table sauce.

I have both Tabasco and Bufalo chipotle sauce somewhere in the kitchen.

BUFALO.jpg

Willard and AjiJoe, what sauces do you guys like more? Let me know and I'll try them.

Hot sauce preferences and the flavors are pretty subjective. The Defcon line seems to carry a lot of weight around here. The best part for me is that the hottest of the regular line, Defcon 1, doesn't taste like a big bowl of chemicals despite having some extract in it. I have almost as violent a reaction to extracts as UltraZelda64 has to vinegar.

I've tried all the sauces you've mentioned so far and didn't mind them. The xxxtra hot one is a bit different. Can't really decide if I like it or not. I guess I just haven't found the right application for it yet.

The best thing to do in a restaurant it to ask for the chef's salsa picante. The chef makes his own for the same reason chile heads make their own.

I use mostly dried chile and, if I'm stuck out not in a Mejican restaurant, I use the table sauce.

I have both Tabasco and Bufalo chipotle sauce somewhere in the kitchen.

Yeah I always ask for that when I go to the Mexican restaurants. I hardly ever eat out though, so I like to keep some sauces for home.

Hot sauce preferences and the flavors are pretty subjective. The Defcon line seems to carry a lot of weight around here. The best part for me is that the hottest of the regular line, Defcon 1, doesn't taste like a big bowl of chemicals despite having some extract in it. I have almost as violent a reaction to extracts as UltraZelda64 has to vinegar.

I've tried all the sauces you've mentioned so far and didn't mind them. The xxxtra hot one is a bit different. Can't really decide if I like it or not. I guess I just haven't found the right application for it yet.

The xxxtra hot is great for chili, most Mexican food, queso blanco, BBQ, or anything that goes well with a smokey flavor imo.

I also hate vinegary sauces with a passion, except for a few foods that I think they go well with (like red beans and rice). I plan on trying the Defcon at some point, most here seem to like it. I'm also planning on getting some Marie Sharps, they have a good reputation too.

I had a big bottle of the Marie Sharps that got used up quick. It is pretty damn good stuff. Not the hottest by any means, but it has really nice flavor with it's carrot base.

I made up some cochinita pibil last night and found that the Mayanik and Kutbil-ik sauces were a pretty good match.

I couldn't agree more! My g/f and I have recently returned from a trip to Cancun. I piled my plate high with with cochinita pibil every single time I saw it. I made sandwiches, bunwiches, ate it burrito style and quite often just plain with a touch of salt. We even went so far as to make a trip into downtown Cancun to pick up some achiote powder because I can't find it locally. The lady at the market I bought it from was VERY happy that I bought 3/4 of a pound of it. Heck 15 pesos per 8oz of powder is bugger all.

All this talk is making me hungry. I think I'm going to have some eggs and cochinita pibil. A mexican 'steak and eggs' if you will ;)

I couldn't agree more! My g/f and I have recently returned from a trip to Cancun. I piled my plate high with with cochinita pibil every single time I saw it. I made sandwiches, bunwiches, ate it burrito style and quite often just plain with a touch of salt. We even went so far as to make a trip into downtown Cancun to pick up some achiote powder because I can't find it locally. The lady at the market I bought it from was VERY happy that I bought 3/4 of a pound of it. Heck 15 pesos per 8oz of powder is bugger all.

All this talk is making me hungry. I think I'm going to have some eggs and cochinita pibil. A mexican 'steak and eggs' if you will ;)

Do you not have any Mexican markets there? You can also mail order achiote powder to your door pretty easily. They sell achiote paste at a lot of regular grocery stores here.

The bitter orange is a lot harder to find for me. The Mexican grocery stores sell bitter orange marinade, but there isn't any actual bitter orange in there and it tastes horrible. The grapefruit/lemon/lime/orange substitute comes pretty close though. The banana leaves can be hard to find too without driving an hour.

Unfortunately our Mexican section consists of the most basic of ingredients and the commercialized stuff like Old El Paso. I don't have any sour/bitter orange so had to sub in some orange juice instead. And good luck finding banana leaves around here so I crock potted it instead. Very similar to what we had in Cancun.

I'll have to look into the achiote powder and see if I can find it online. Once I run out that is ;)

Back