smokers Electric Flower Pot Smoker Build

Hey, all. I decided to build a simple electric flower pot smoker. It's almost done.

Here's a link to my Flickr set for the build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nspeppers/sets/72157626649568300/

I decided to build it without a PID for temperature control, at least to see how well I can dial it in without one. The PID will add close to $100 after it's done. OK, I could do it for close to $50 with a Chinese PID and SSR. This will get me off the ground though.

Costs
------
Pot: $30
Burner: $20
Wire: $2
Gang box: $2.50
Box plate: $2.50
Cast iron: $20
Grill: free
Temp probe: $14

Cost to date: $91 (plus tax)

I still need to find a lid. I'd like to use a terra cotta saucer or something like it but I haven't found something to match in size. I'll use a large patio stone to lay on top to start. It's like 2 inches thick so it will hold temps very well. I should just chizel it into a circle and mount a couple of handles!

-Rob

You'll need a deflector with the grate that close to the heat source otherwise it's a grill.

You'll need a deflector with the grate that close to the heat source otherwise it's a grill.

The grate is 10 inches from the pan, do you think that's too close? I was thinking of adding a drip pan in there as well which should serve as a deflector as well though.

If you have the bottom drip plate thing to a smaller terra cotta pot you can use that, round is best, with maybe an inch around the sides, so the smoke and heat are forced up the sides. The hottest areas will then be on the sides.

no it was jsut an electirc burner with a throw away pie plate I think very unique - good luck with it and post pics

Back