Enchiladas!!!

I don't make my own tortillas like willard, but I do buy the huge pack of soft corn tortillas at the grocery.

I made some awesome enchiladas the other night. Chicken with a green chili sauce, and cheese with a more traditional red sauce.

THE QUESTION IS:

To get them to roll without cracking or falling apart, I patted them with a little canola and warmed them up.

That worked great, but there was a layer of grease that they were sitting in after they were baked.

I am guessing maybe that they should be dipped in the sauce to be warmed up and moistened?

It just seems like that would take a lot of sauce, and that they might end up too saucy.

Any tips?

I take the red enchilada sauce and brush it on both sides before filling -- sometimes I will do the same but with Fajita tortillas -- the enchilada sauce seems to soften them enough to roll without cracking -- Mine are pretty thick too

Steaming might work, but I have seen them bubble up and swell if they get too much moisture.

I think I will try your method lucky, I hate when they crack!

cheezydemon said:
Steaming might work, but I have seen them bubble up and swell if they get too much moisture.

I think I will try your method lucky, I hate when they crack!

Its a little messier but I do it on wax paper and brush it on both sides. The red isnt to hot but if are using green then the same method applies then pour the rest on top when finished.

First warm the tortillas on a flat grill or in a pan. In a separate pan have a thin layer of enchillada sauce on medium/hot. Take tongs and place the tortillas in the sauce and flip them over, leaving them in about 5 seconds each side. You can have a bit of oil mixed with the sauce too.

Sauce on the tortillas is messy but it's worth the extra work. A quick dip on both sides then filled and rolled is the way I make mine. I skip the heating them but then I'm basically lazy...j/k. Enchiladas is one thing I have learned to make, never have any leftovers so they must not be too bad.

Thanks PF, THC, Lucky.

I think the heated sauce cut with a little oil will be it.

I used my new ancho powder on the chicken and in the sauce. Incredible sweetness from those things! It went well with the spice. 7 pot powder baby.

Here in western New Mexico they don't roll the corn tortillas for enchiladas. They lay them flat almost like lasagna noodles.

I think the oil mixed in would be to much as you are trying to stay away from that greasy mess. Other than maybe it crisping the folded side? When I do it the sauce gets absorbed anyways -- give it a go and find out

Back