• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce ENCONA Carolina Reaper Chilli Sauce

Look what I found  :dance:
I knew it's not gonna be a superhot one by looking on the back label, but it was worth getting! 
This sauce tastes like a good spicy ketchup, with pronounced cumin and tomato flavors and 5/10 heat.
Very well-balanced stuff, with fine acidity and healthy sweetness. No, I'm not getting it again,
but I will finish the bottle with pleasure. Cost me $3 (Poland).

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 247
  • backlabel.jpg
    backlabel.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 147
Does anyone know what the (5%) behind the carolina reaper paste means?  It's confusing because then you have carolina reaper powder as an ingredient in the paste at 8%.  Either way, it seams that there is very little actual carolina reaper in this.

Jubnat said:
Does anyone know what the (5%) behind the carolina reaper paste means?  It's confusing because then you have carolina reaper powder as an ingredient in the paste at 8%.  Either way, it seams that there is very little actual carolina reaper in this.

It doesn't need a lot. I like the Reaper flavor but nearly every product that I have eaten with it has been too hot to thouroughly enjoy.
I'd like to try this one.

WinnieTheComrade said:
Was just planning to get this and all the other chili sauces from Encona. Your review came at the right time haha :)

Well, I tried a few Encona sauces and 50% of them were worthy. The Louisiana is nice, acidic, tasty. The West Indian Super Hot is pretty hot, with lots of habaneros in it. They sold near me for $2 so the value is good.

Today I got the right ENCONA sauce. See picture. 6.5/10 on the heat and tastes just great!

Made of: Hot Pepper Mash (Red Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Yellow Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Jolokia Peppers, Salt, Acid: Acetic Acid) (55%), Water, Onion Powder, Birds Eye Chilli, Garlic Powder, Mustard Powder, Modified Maize Starch, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum (E415), Preservative: Potassium Sorbate (E202)

Attachments

• exhot.jpg
    exhot.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 140
Encona is one of the only commercial hot sauces I eat from supermarkets, the west indies one I've had a lot growing up as a kid as it goes really nice with corned beef & rice + fried plantain too.

Not the biggest fan of the Reaper one personally, wish they didn't jump on the train but tried it once as they sell generally for £1 in the UK. ($1.24 / 1.12)

Fred the Fed said:

It doesn't need a lot. I like the Reaper flavor but nearly every product that I have eaten with it has been too hot to thouroughly enjoy.
I'd like to try this one.

A lot of us chiliheads get so wrapped up in raising our tolerance that we don't consider how much superhots tend to overpower the other flavors in a dish.

The Encona "original" used to be a staple of mine when I lived in the UK. It's readily available, cheap and hot enough. It's reminiscent of a West Indian sauce being vinegar forward and has a typical slightly flowery scotch bonnet flavour. After having tried the real deal in the Caribbean, I find it somewhat underwhelming as it's missing the cilantro/culantro and garlic.

Back