• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

end of season

Is it worth saving all these full size yet immature peppers that haven't turned yet and are still green? I'm talking reapers ghosts habaneros stuff like that. I got quite a few on there especially the ghost peppers that haven't turned yet and they're not going to make it. I'm just not sure if it'll be the same flavor or the same heat level without being red? The same could be said about the habaneros not being orange. I sliced up a couple green ghost peppers the other night to use on my taco salad and I recall there being some heat but I thought they were a little bitter flavored? Just not sure what's the best to do with the leftovers

dragonsfire said:
yup, unless their real small, keep them together, throw in a ripe banana and they should ripen if not too young.
Can you elaborate about that banana lol? I've never heard of anything like that before

I've heard of cutting the branches when you over winterize and putting the branches in water inside and they will ripen.
I have not had to do this myself to test it out as I live in Florida and our season never ends.

dragonsfire said:
yup, unless their real small, keep them together, throw in a ripe banana and they should ripen if not too young.

cmwr said:
Can you elaborate about that banana lol? I've never heard of anything like that before

I can't speak for DF but I think he means "in a bag" ----

TRY THIS AT HOME!

If you have an unripe avocado or other fruits at home, try putting them in a paper bag with a ripening banana. This will speed up the ripening of the avocado because ethylene emitted by the ripening banana will trigger the climacteric response in the avocado. This strategy works best when the ripening fruit is one that emits a high concentration of ethylene, such as an apple, pear, banana, or passion fruit

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I can't speak for DF but I think he means "in a bag" ----

TRY THIS AT HOME!

If you have an unripe avocado or other fruits at home, try putting them in a paper bag with a ripening banana. This will speed up the ripening of the avocado because ethylene emitted by the ripening banana will trigger the climacteric response in the avocado. This strategy works best when the ripening fruit is one that emits a high concentration of ethylene, such as an apple, pear, banana, or passion fruit
Makes sense thank you

Back