• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Entering flower stage late

My plants are all so big! Ive been pinching flowers this whole time to encourage upward growth. Ive let most of them flower staring last week. I guess i wasn't paying attention to how long the pods take to ripen though. Im concerned that they won't have enough time to mature before growing conditions change to unfavorable. Is there anything i can do to encourage quicker formation? I might have to let them finish indoors if not. Im im pnw.

if you are fertilizing, bump up the nutrients and switch to a "bloom" formula.  (limits nitrogen)
once they form not really though, just wait.

Lol I'm done pinching now. I got carried away wanting monster plants. Th3 good news is that most of the plants have 30+ flowering sites :) If they dont mature outdoors I will bring the jungle indoors.

I fed with 16-16-16 the other day. Its all I had. I'll get a flower fertilizer. What am I looking at timewise? Three months max or?

I wish I had to pinch flowers off around here -- the heat here makes most of them drop all summer - so all I can do is hope we get a few days of stormy weather at the right time so that a few pods will show up ! (though the Jalapenos, Tabascos and Shishitos are doing well this year so at least I can have the Jalapeno poppers to get me through for awhile ! )

nattymari said:
Where are you? You have until October easy unless you are in Canada somewhere. Relax.

Looks like he is in Seattle so yeah according to KOMONews.com :

If you're someone with a green thumb, you’ll be interested to know when the typical first frost and last frost occurs. The first frost in Seattle occurs around Nov. 11.

So should be fine !

Thats a relief! I dont mind an indoor jungle :) The good news is that all the hardcore pinching is paying off. Most of the plants have at least 60 flowers. I counted 150 on one plant though.

Honestly the one reaper I did nothing to is now over 4ft tall and will only get bigger. Unless your plant is really tiny(1-1/2ft) I wouldn't worry about pinching buds off. Really peppers naturally don't pinch the buds off so why should I? Moving them indoors can be a pain since you have to pollinate then yourself. It can be crazy depending on how many flowers you get

sporehead said:
Thats a relief! I dont mind an indoor jungle :) The good news is that all the hardcore pinching is paying off. Most of the plants have at least 60 flowers. I counted 150 on one plant though.

150 flowers on one plant, that's awesome!  Mine are still flowering too, but I think pods are imminent.  I hit them with some Fox Farms big bloom and it seems to have helped a lot, but I don't think you have bloom problems.  Still may help the pods set and mature though.  Good luck, here's to a bumper crop!

M

Most of my plants are at least 3 feet tall. I pinched them so much because they had a ways to go but were flowering earlier than i would have liked. Just trying to increase flower count. With 7o plants, its going to be quite the workload when the time comes. I wish i would've had some bloom ferts instead of a full mix. Next year though. I still need to get some bags for the pods, so i can save some seeds. They're all growing next to each other.
Any size recommendations for tulle bags? Color preferences? I am going to cover pod clusters. No way am i going to sow 150 bags for a couple per plant.

Back