• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Eradicating the freaking aphids

They invaded my plants a couple weeks ago, and by the time I found out what they were and how to supposedly kill them (using soap and baking soda with water) they really set me plants back. But I thought I had exterminated them.

This evening, I went upstairs to turn the lights off and to my dismay, there were these freaking red bugs on the leaves of the biggest plants. What do I need to do to kill, eradicate, erase, exterminate, get rid of these pests once and for all? Use some of my DDT?

Mike

511234695_c69bff71e9.jpg

Call Arnold......

exterminatorwg4.jpg
[/IMG]

Neem and pyrethrium and soap only work so well for me. I just bought 4500 ladybugs and they are starting to do the job but its the larvae I'm waiting for.

I wish we could buy lady beetles in OZ. we're a bit behind down here with green house technology in more than one way lol.

wordwiz said:
They invaded my plants a couple weeks ago, and by the time I found out what they were and how to supposedly kill them (using soap and baking soda with water) they really set me plants back. But I thought I had exterminated them.

This evening, I went upstairs to turn the lights off and to my dismay, there were these freaking red bugs on the leaves of the biggest plants. What do I need to do to kill, eradicate, erase, exterminate, get rid of these pests once and for all? Use some of my DDT?

Mike

>>there were these freaking red bugs on the leaves of the biggest plants.

Those are spider mites. Nasty little buggers, I got infested not too long ago and they destroyed most of my indoor winter crop! :(

KILL THEM!!!

KILL THEM!!!
I'm trying. If all else fails, I will use DDT!

There was probably 20 times as many this afternoon as there was this morning. I picked up some spray (sort of limited in options) that is supposed to kill aphids and mites, among other insects.

If there is a bright side of this coin, it is I'm learning these things before I really start next year's crop.

Mike

are aphids black as well?

I've got some tiny little bugs about the size of fleas, clear wings and move around very quickly. I think they may have come out of the potting mix but I really don't know. mites???

Aphids can be red but never seen black ones and they generally don't have wings. Sounds like maybe fruit flies, I know I get them too.

chilliman64 said:

I've got some tiny little bugs about the size of fleas, clear wings and move around very quickly. I think they may have come out of the potting mix but I really don't know. mites???

If they came out of the potting mix, they could well be fruit flies like Potawie says, or they could be fungus gnats.

http://www.westone.wa.gov.au/toolbo...es/visitor_centre/fact_sheets/fungus_gnat.htm

Too, there are so many kinds of aphids, and in the winged sexual stage I have seen black ones, just never on the peppers.

chilliman64 said:

It seems all the potting soil I have bought have these little boogers in it. They have never seemed to hurt any plants - peppers, tomatoes or flowers.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

POTAWIE said:
Aphids can be red but never seen black ones and they generally don't have wings. Sounds like maybe fruit flies, I know I get them too.

I wondered if they may be fruit fly but I have no fruit at present, or doesn't that matter?

Pam said:
If they came out of the potting mix, they could well be fruit flies like Potawie says, or they could be fungus gnats.

http://www.westone.wa.gov.au/toolbo...es/visitor_centre/fact_sheets/fungus_gnat.htm

Too, there are so many kinds of aphids, and in the winged sexual stage I have seen black ones, just never on the peppers.

thanks for the link Pam, I'll check it out. in the meantime I bought some pyrethrum based spray and gave all plants a few shots...

wordwiz said:
It seems all the potting soil I have bought have these little boogers in it. They have never seemed to hurt any plants - peppers, tomatoes or flowers.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

that's interesting Mike! I wondered if I just had a 'bad' batch! I had bought the bags of mix about 6 weeks ago and had them laid out in the back yard to try to kill off the baddies, obviously didn't work. Merry Christmas to you too dude!

Back