• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2020: lol!

Hi guys, how are you? It's a while i don't visit glogs...
Last year i haven't even opened one.
Long story short: grew Bleeding Jigsaw and Jalapenos from Semillas. Also bought a red rocoto, just in case.
Well, it has been my worst year, as soon i planted out stuff there's been at least 2 weeks of cold and rain. Then some other rain...
Jalapeno was ok. I even learnt to cook them slower than usual to get better and most consistent results... Bleeding Jigsaw, i dunno, didn't impressed me that much:
1) i've kept two plants, no one bleeded.
2) i've given away some plants, many, if not all, bleeded.
It's mid low end super, so enough for me, not very productive (1 plant barely produced any pod, the other some and started to produce nearly nicely very late), taste is ok.

This year i wanted to grow a bit more.
So i ordered from RFR that ones:
Bhutlah Scorpion Chocolate
Hidalgo
BTR Scorpion

Damn seeds after 1 good months haven't arrived, tracing wasn't much helpful (seeds seemed to be in LA, then Milan, then maybe again LA in the same day, then nothing) so i placed an order at Semillas (of course i could argue, but i doubt it was vendor's fault and i just wanted seeds) with these:

BTR Scorpion
Serrano Tampiqueno
Apocalypse Chocolate

Yes, i really wanted Serrano (Hidalgo is a variety...), and BTR sounded just good.

Until today. Today arrived RFR seeds with extra bonus:
Bhutlah Scorpion
Molly 

While i didn't even knew about Molly, Bhutlah Scorpion is indeed an heavyweight... Also having 2 freebies with an order of 3 is really impressive!
I really didn't expect that!

So in the end i have those seeds:

BTR Scorpion (SLP)
Serrano Tampiqueno (SLP)
Apocalypse Chocolate (SLP)
Bhutlah Scorpion Chocolate (RFR)
Hidalgo (RFR)
BTR Scorpion (RFR)
Bhutlah Scorpion (RFR)
Molly (RFR)

Now i'm laughing thinking about what to do... I wanted to keep 6 plants, 2 per type... Because i don't like 1 per type, i can have the unlucky one and get the wrong idea, or have the wrong seed, or messing that seed myself or whatever...
I can plant 4, maybe 5 seeds each. I have 3 annuums and i can keep one each... Then 2 per chinense. That would be 13, more than twice what i wanted...I'll have 4 BTR, but from RFR site photos seems a bit more elongated, to me, than Semillas one, so i just consider them different...
I'm not even thinking about preserving seeds for 2021.

I guess i'll plant in 1-3 weeks, maybe it's a bit late (conversely, if i had waited 2 weeks last year would have been better, i just needed to know the weather with 4 months in advance).

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
:clap:

YUM  

i will be following along this year Essegi  :cool: 

best of luck on great harvests in 2020

:cheers:
Thanks! It looks like i need indeed some luck!

7argmKY.jpg

For now i'm having the worst germ rate ever... I don't know what i'm doing wrong...

Hidago; 5/5
Tampiqueno: 4/5
Bhutalh Scorpion: 2/5
Bhutalh Scorpion Chocolate: 2/5
BTR SLP: 1/5

none of the ohthers. :confused:
I have more than enough for me, but, still this is sad.
Plants are a bit on the leggy side but nothing too bad.

Btw, since last year too has been bad, to survive winter i bought those:
q1Ur2oF.jpg

Quite strong for all natural sauce.

Today's pasta:
hYTdCqc.jpg

Tuna, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, some hot sauce, Sauvignon wine.... Turned out pretty good.

Essegi said:
For now i'm having the worst germ rate ever... I don't know what i'm doing wrong...

Tuna, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, some hot sauce, Sauvignon wine.... Turned out pretty good.

Many, your foodies always make my mouth water.
And the background of your sauce pic looks like a
very nice area to live in!

As for the germination difficulties, I know how you feel.
There were a couple of seasons in a row where my seeds
had a really poor germination rate with the Jiffy plugs,
after having good success with them. I could never figure
out why. Last season with the rockwool and this season
with the potting soil mix seemed to right the ship. Pretty
decent results last season, better this season.

Hang in there, my friend  :pray: Maybe your prayers will be
answered!

Thanks Paul. Yeah it's not a bad place to live in many regards... Maybe not in that month. :rofl:

I have a couple of late germs: 1 Bhutlah Scorpion and an Apocalypse Chocolate.
That leaves out just BTR from RFR. But at least i still have seeds for the next year and i'll use them. Btw, i can say that seeds from BTR, both SLP and RFR were the biggest of the bunch, looked the most promising...

Well, i did it.
A colleague kept to tell me wonders about his calabrese pepper and how survived and how is already setting many pods... So he gave me some... And i started them! 4 from the biggest pod and 4 from another one... Pods are small since they've grown now. Also not fully ripe. But i exepct to see something...
CgwHqLf.jpg

I pruned Rocoto:
JwlTkwe.jpg

Not in an extreme way, i don't even know if i am late or early for that...

Also, some days ago, i picked some wild garlic:
0OvvGzD.jpg

I thought it was too early and i was indeed wrong.
I gave some away and made some pesto (garlic, almonds, random cheese, salt and evo), not bad.
Now i need some more, i'll see if i can pick some more (it's a bad idea to move those days...), i wanna try to blend with just some salt and vinegar and see what happens... Or made a better pesto with Pecorino Romano that is good for that garlic).

Last Tampiqueno sprouted... At least i got all initai annuums...
baql0Jt.jpg

I need to repot biggest ones soon...

Amatriciana again!
9nPfeJ5.jpg

The beautiful thing is that it's very easy to do... But it's highly dependant on all ingredients quality.

I picked other wild garlic:
GMFktAk.jpg

I just blended wild garlic, evo, vinegar, salt.
ofXFDZo.jpg

Looks glorius... And tastes meh... But at least it should restist some days... I wonder how to use it well.

Since there's not much to do i made pizza, it was a lot since my last one, This is a 100% farro.

GrIU1cf.jpg

What to say... For sure one of the worst dough to stretch... You can't see from the photos (except for the hole in right), but it was stretched so poorly...
Also, crust was a bit too brown... Taste was ok and chewing was surprisingly fine. 
Half margherita, the other half adding morlacco cheese, capers and anchovies. Turned out to be an exceptional combo: morlacco added a bit of sour and a buttery taste, anchovies and capers spiced all up.

Since dough was so weak i folded the second and a waited a bit... It was better.
Still bad since not really airy and thin on middle:
0wvBkPA.jpg

Here i used some of wild garlic blend that t wasn't that good here and some hot peppers... Nice colors btw.

I made some bread too (farro and normal flour):
VLqbrKn.jpg

CayjQqT.jpg

Could be cooked a bit more but that one it's not bad.

Very impressive culinary skills, Giancarlo!

Here's hoping that Spring is around the
corner, and that you are avoiding the covid19!

How has the shutdown affected your life, if
at all?

PaulG said:
Very impressive culinary skills, Giancarlo!

Here's hoping that Spring is around the
corner, and that you are avoiding the covid19!

How has the shutdown affected your life, if
at all?
Thanks.
I can't move frome home unless absolutely necessary (buying food or emergencies), with exception of walking the dog near home or taking a walk (better near home, in my opinion it's not clear). You must not move closer than 1 m to other people. You can go to work but tomorrow i'm starting some smartworking. More or less like that.
Of course eat with relatives, meeting with friends and so on is out of question.

MOqdXHS.jpg

At last i repot all, even smallest ones.

in the end i have those:

5/5 Hidalgo
5/5 Tampiqueno
3/5 Bhutlah Scorpion
2/5 Bhutlah Scorpion Chocolate
1/5 BTR SLP
1/5 Apocalypse Chocolate
0/5 BTR RFR

So bad...

Also. still no sprouts from calabrese... Maybe pods were too young... Still hoping for some...
But i've lowered temps, i plan to soon sunbathe a bit the plants.

About Hidalgo vs Tampiqueno: Tampiqueno looks more dense and a bit bigger. Hidalgo is a bit furry.

Since i had to work 2 hours more today (ok, at home, but asked at last and i had to delay repotting) i gave myself a shot of that:
te7fwiK.jpg

I empathize with you and the current restrictions, Essegi.  Hopefully the sacrifices pay off and slow this thing down.

Good to see all your peppers potted up into their bigger homes.  Now they can get busy getting big!

I'll be very interested to contrast your Hidalgo vs. Tampiqueno.  I was undecided as to which I'd grow this season, then the shop ran out of Hidalgo seeds and my decision was made for me.  I like the sound of the furry Hidalgo, but I think with Serrano peppers the proof will be in the pods. 

Hope the Calabrese sprout for you!

I have my first sprout of Calabrese!

Weather is good, so i decided at least my peppers has to enjoy it:
5GrE0dj.jpg

Gonna bring them inside again after that post.
Rocoto is still recovering so slowly that i doubt i'll have some pods that year...

CaneDog said:
I empathize with you and the current restrictions, Essegi.  Hopefully the sacrifices pay off and slow this thing down.

Good to see all your peppers potted up into their bigger homes.  Now they can get busy getting big!

I'll be very interested to contrast your Hidalgo vs. Tampiqueno.  I was undecided as to which I'd grow this season, then the shop ran out of Hidalgo seeds and my decision was made for me.  I like the sound of the furry Hidalgo, but I think with Serrano peppers the proof will be in the pods. 

Hope the Calabrese sprout for you!
Thanks!
Some people can have really issues with that sorta of curfew...
I just speak for myself btw: smartworking is great, i save well over 1 hour at day cause i don't have to trave. My computer is 100 times better than the one at work (they could gave me one but i declined).
Not seeing people is nice. Maybe it sounds bad but i find refreshing to stay alone. I'm not the type that loves crowds. :P
Also in this time i'm not doing any sport regularly so it's not that big issue for that. But i'll go on mountains asap.
And i can take in and out peppers nearly when i want (since i can't leave them on sun every day).
So far for me it's not bad... But i have to go to Neaples at 20-24 May, i've already bought airplane tickets (at least they were really inexpensive) ... I hope i can go. I know it's a stupid thing given all problems around, but considering that last year i had just 4 days of holidays i really hope to go...

About Tampiqueno and Hidalgo i remember you had to choose.
Here some photos:

Hidalgo:

pLJ7Xz4.jpg

1vrecud.jpg

Tampiqueno:

we20nkh.jpg

ZZU1uwR.jpg

Tampiqueno looks a bit better, Hidalgo more pecuilar. We'll see.

Here it is an Hidalgo that has been always yellow, since earliest days:
miuHIZt.jpg

I'll see if with new pot things will go better.

Great to see your plants out in the sun, Giancarlo!

We are facing the same restrictions here, depending
on the state/locality one lives in. I basically stay home
anyway, so really not too much different than normal.

Good to have a hobby or two to take up some time,
although I have been watching too much TV while
recovering from surgery  ;)

Keep that pepper grow running smoothly, my friend!

Nice plants Giancarlo. Can't imagine a better way to deal with the situation than growing and planning ahead.

We're still waiting for the main wave, a lot of people are scared, mostly because of the elderly.
Our summer vacation is uncertain, since schools are now out and we do not know for how long this will affect us. I imagine this whole year is uncertain.

I have others 2 Calabrese!

Thanks guys for your concern.
Situation isn't that good here. Today died over 600 people for that.
Also yesterday my uncle has been hospiltalized for that... And after a week of problems (i don't know how it was possibile to delay this for so long...). I just know he's been sedated. More than enough to be worried since he's over 80... My cousin had problems too but now she's nearly over that. My aunt should have been tested today and i'm asking for news...
Government is ready to exacerbate security measures.

Making bread for some reason seems a good idea to me, this is today's one:

TFqh5pu.jpg

rToQU6J.jpg

Decent, better than last one, but of course i want to improve. I have at least the excuse that 80% of flour was not for bread (other 20% was pretty good, but i didn't had more it was an old forgotten remain near explration date...). Market near home, that's not big, has just some interesting farro, that, while i like it, it ins't exactly a tecnhical flour... And the rest just regular ones, not for bread.
I'm thinking to start some sourdough when all this problem is over... But it seems an hassle to mantain...

Looks great!  Yeah, making bread(like gardening) is a good thing to help keep your mind grounded and focused when dealing with stress.

And I would heavily recommend making a sourdough starter.  The way some people talk about them, it does sound like a hassle to maintain.  But it is actually really easy.  If you don't want to bother with it, just stick it in the fridge for a few weeks, and it'll wake back up in no time.  I use mine in all my breads, even when using yeast.

Thanks.
Sadly my uncle passed away about 3 hours ago... My aunt was tested yesterday but still no signs of results...

Essegi said:
Thanks.
Sadly my uncle passed away about 3 hours ago... My aunt was tested yesterday but still no signs of results...

So sorry to hear of your loss, Giancarlo. Really
brings it home. My condolences to you and
your family, and prayers for your aunt. Wishing
the best for you and your fellow countrymen.
Stay healthy, my friend.

These days there's some bora wind so it's colder. Today is cloudy and hotter, but i'm keeping plants inside... Tomorrow should be better and with less wind so colder in night and hotter in day. Maybe i'll bring all out.

I topped a bit again Rocoto:
ltf5GYp.jpg

I topped where there were biggest leaves... More or less on the same heigth on all branches... Where i've cut there was just an hint of regrowth, so it didn't seemed to me so useful to keep them longer.

fzfqBOl.jpg

I have 6 calabrese. more than enough.
Plants are fine, except this Hidalgo:

TiH3dJv.jpg

No idea... I checked if there are some parasites on roots but i found nothing... It has been yellow since its birth...

Jubnat said:
Looks great!  Yeah, making bread(like gardening) is a good thing to help keep your mind grounded and focused when dealing with stress.

And I would heavily recommend making a sourdough starter.  The way some people talk about them, it does sound like a hassle to maintain.  But it is actually really easy.  If you don't want to bother with it, just stick it in the fridge for a few weeks, and it'll wake back up in no time.  I use mine in all my breads, even when using yeast.
Thanks, i've tried a couple more time with some weaker flour, last one with farro. I ordered some basket bread but takes a good month to arrive... So i simulated with a pasta strain with linen cloth...
Also i used a refractory to cook, i'll use it from now

ZG0XkGv.jpg

KQ9y9JQ.jpg

6W6rzTt.jpg

Result isn't that good. Well, bread is good, but i hoped more airiness... I made maybe a capital error: i forgot to cut the loaf before putting in the oven... So i made the cut some second after... But i had the impression that some gas was lost in that way...
Now i have some type flour to experiment with. Probably i'm trying this sunday.

Maybe tomorrow i'm making some Gyoza (lol. i'm reading some crazy manga where Gyoza are omnipresent so i they're tempting... I already know them a bit and are good). I'll use farro flour.

PaulG said:
So sorry to hear of your loss, Giancarlo. Really
brings it home. My condolences to you and
your family, and prayers for your aunt. Wishing
the best for you and your fellow countrymen.
Stay healthy, my friend.
Thanks, Paul.

Sorry for your loss Giancarlo. Please continue to post so we know you are well.

on a happier note, a good use for your pesto...
My wife and I made gnocchi and tossed it in fresh pesto (fresh as can be using frozen basil/oil puree from last season.)

Back