• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2020: lol!

Hi guys, how are you? It's a while i don't visit glogs...
Last year i haven't even opened one.
Long story short: grew Bleeding Jigsaw and Jalapenos from Semillas. Also bought a red rocoto, just in case.
Well, it has been my worst year, as soon i planted out stuff there's been at least 2 weeks of cold and rain. Then some other rain...
Jalapeno was ok. I even learnt to cook them slower than usual to get better and most consistent results... Bleeding Jigsaw, i dunno, didn't impressed me that much:
1) i've kept two plants, no one bleeded.
2) i've given away some plants, many, if not all, bleeded.
It's mid low end super, so enough for me, not very productive (1 plant barely produced any pod, the other some and started to produce nearly nicely very late), taste is ok.

This year i wanted to grow a bit more.
So i ordered from RFR that ones:
Bhutlah Scorpion Chocolate
Hidalgo
BTR Scorpion

Damn seeds after 1 good months haven't arrived, tracing wasn't much helpful (seeds seemed to be in LA, then Milan, then maybe again LA in the same day, then nothing) so i placed an order at Semillas (of course i could argue, but i doubt it was vendor's fault and i just wanted seeds) with these:

BTR Scorpion
Serrano Tampiqueno
Apocalypse Chocolate

Yes, i really wanted Serrano (Hidalgo is a variety...), and BTR sounded just good.

Until today. Today arrived RFR seeds with extra bonus:
Bhutlah Scorpion
Molly 

While i didn't even knew about Molly, Bhutlah Scorpion is indeed an heavyweight... Also having 2 freebies with an order of 3 is really impressive!
I really didn't expect that!

So in the end i have those seeds:

BTR Scorpion (SLP)
Serrano Tampiqueno (SLP)
Apocalypse Chocolate (SLP)
Bhutlah Scorpion Chocolate (RFR)
Hidalgo (RFR)
BTR Scorpion (RFR)
Bhutlah Scorpion (RFR)
Molly (RFR)

Now i'm laughing thinking about what to do... I wanted to keep 6 plants, 2 per type... Because i don't like 1 per type, i can have the unlucky one and get the wrong idea, or have the wrong seed, or messing that seed myself or whatever...
I can plant 4, maybe 5 seeds each. I have 3 annuums and i can keep one each... Then 2 per chinense. That would be 13, more than twice what i wanted...I'll have 4 BTR, but from RFR site photos seems a bit more elongated, to me, than Semillas one, so i just consider them different...
I'm not even thinking about preserving seeds for 2021.

I guess i'll plant in 1-3 weeks, maybe it's a bit late (conversely, if i had waited 2 weeks last year would have been better, i just needed to know the weather with 4 months in advance).

Your pizza pics are killin' me, Giancarlo!

Pepper plants look like they are doing well.
I hope your whole season his as good as
the beginning!

Good luck getting there camera surveillance
set up!

Essegi said:
Haha, Paul, thanks!

The one i baked this morning was better than others... Still not enough, i want bigger holes.

U9REg5h.jpg

krGJPJ6.jpg

If you want bigger holes you have to use an higher hydration, at least 80% or higher. I normally bake around 70% hydration, don't want the holes to big for the butter ;) Overall great pics, keep it up!

As expected, broken tampiqueno is setting pods:

Q8wBqNY.jpg

So i tried sourdough:
A6SmTxz.jpg

wsFnmx0.jpg

Even if with an obviuos error, better than others i made. Flavour needs to adjust being so young, but it's already good.

Made another pizza, with normal yeast:

hw3CVSq.jpg

My best dough. I guess that making bread gave some insight on dough in general.
Topped with Asiago and another cheese cause i had no mozz...

CaneDog said:

I've done that before and then wondered how I could have possibly missed seeing it the first time.  :)  He does blend in well.

It will be interesting to learn how the 2 Serrano compare all the way through tasting.

Great picture of the bird!
Yeah. Tampiqueno seemed more exuberant in the start. Now Hidalgo is taking the crown. I don't know, maybe being hairy it beared better some cold nights. We'll see.

Devv said:
+1 on the bird pic, and I love those pots!

Yum, Pizza! I had some for lunch :D Wife has bread in the oven!
Nice! Have a great bread! ;)

PaulG said:
Your pizza pics are killin' me, Giancarlo!

Pepper plants look like they are doing well.
I hope your whole season his as good as
the beginning!

Good luck getting there camera surveillance
set up!
Thanks, Paul.
Not gonna happen about surveillance. Remote works just about 3 meters (it's just a cable replacement to take shots to not move the camera, it's not suitable for long distance), if i bother birds too much i fear they abandon their chicks. Now pot is covered with an umbrella and birds still found the entrance. Cats have yet to do damage. I don't know how young birds will fly out this pot with their first flight...

meatfreak said:

If you want bigger holes you have to use an higher hydration, at least 80% or higher. I normally bake around 70% hydration, don't want the holes to big for the butter ;) Overall great pics, keep it up!
Hey Stefan, it's great to see you here!
I knew about more water=bigger holes... But i'm no more sure i really need at least 80% seeing some results around (also, if i just increase my hidration i've seen that big, well distribuited holes, just don't appear :rofl: ). For sure i'll test more. ;)  

Good to see the Tampiqueño looking
nice and healthy. Nice job of saving
the plant after it broke.

I'm not going to look at your bread
and pizza pictures anymore   :drooling:

:liar:

Essegi said:
Hey Stefan, it's great to see you here!
I knew about more water=bigger holes... But i'm no more sure i really need at least 80% seeing some results around (also, if i just increase my hidration i've seen that big, well distribuited holes, just don't appear :rofl: ). For sure i'll test more. ;)  

It's also quite hard to work dough that wet :lol:  Try to make the dough in the evening, bulk proof and let it rest in a container in the fridge or put it in the fridge after shaping and putting it in the basket. The cold ferment really adds a lot of flavour. I normally do that, makes time management much easier and you have fresh bread in the morning already ;) Not trying to pollute your thread but here's a couple of my recent bakes. I like to often add sweet potato mash, makes the crumb much softer and gives a nice color effect ;)

K3QzUkn.jpg

ukI06dZ.jpg

hlE4oU4.jpg

preshape
JZPtHng.jpg

result
zB73XBY.jpg

Notice the blisters on the crust, this is due to the cold ferment. Adds a lot of flavour and texture to.

PaulG said:
Good to see the Tampiqueño looking
nice and healthy. Nice job of saving
the plant after it broke.

I'm not going to look at your bread
and pizza pictures anymore   :drooling:

:liar:
Thanks! I guess i was lucky with that plant! 

meatfreak said:
It's also quite hard to work dough that wet :lol:  Try to make the dough in the evening, bulk proof and let it rest in a container in the fridge or put it in the fridge after shaping and putting it in the basket. The cold ferment really adds a lot of flavour. I normally do that, makes time management much easier and you have fresh bread in the morning already ;) Not trying to pollute your thread but here's a couple of my recent bakes. I like to often add sweet potato mash, makes the crumb much softer and gives a nice color effect ;)

Notice the blisters on the crust, this is due to the cold ferment. Adds a lot of flavour and texture to.
Wow! That's really beautiful! I'd be happy to make a bread like that!
I'm already using cold for bread. I really can't complain about consistence, but i have often problems with airiness (in pizza too, though last ones were good in that regard).

Devv said:
Nice looking bread Stefan!

We're having yeast issues here, can't find any, unless we pay 4 times the price and wait 30-45 days :confused:

That's ridiculous, Scott. Try making an sourdough starter, it only takes about a week or 2 to get a strong starter and then you're set for life with your own natural yeast :) (mine is almost "5 years" old) I've been baking mostly sourdough these days, only use dry yeast for sweet breads. I always buy 1lb at once so I'm good for the year hehe. It's the same over here though with flour, people are buying up flour bigtime. Again I buy this in bulk to so I'm not worried for at least half a year.

meatfreak said:

That's ridiculous, Scott. Try making an sourdough starter, it only takes about a week or 2 to get a strong starter and then you're set for life with your own natural yeast :) (mine is almost "5 years" old) I've been baking mostly sourdough these days, only use dry yeast for sweet breads. I always buy 1lb at once so I'm good for the year hehe. It's the same over here though with flour, people are buying up flour bigtime. Again I buy this in bulk to so I'm not worried for at least half a year.
Yes, it is! We finally found some locally this morning. We showed up at 7AM, when the store opened. It's a small grocery store, kind of out of the way, they had some!
I passed the sourdough idea to the wife, as this is her department, she bakes, I eat ;)

Quick update about Hidalgo and Tampiqueno:

Hidalgo:

NAI7pag.jpg

s3T8xUY.jpg

Tampiqueno:

IwoGGqx.jpg

M605Gkg.jpg

Last is the broken one, i've removed the elastic and put a piece of string.
Chinense have still to do something interesting, but soon will.

Birds are gone. There's nothing on the pot, even no egg remains. Wonder if chicks just flew away or what.

I took this photo of a young blackbird near my room:
mEBGm4W.jpg

I have 2 plums, both have production ruined this year casue aphyds... At least peppers are safe from those...

T3TIixT.jpg

Another one, that time i learnt to not use flour to work dough at least... I forgot to buy mozz so i used a fresh cheese and pepato siciliano, topped with pepper flakes.
Time to increase hydration from 80 to 85%.

Always a pleasure to see what you are doing, Giancarlo!

Your plants look great, very robust and healthy. Great to
see the pods coming along already! soon fresh peppers
to top your pizzas!

Plants and food look great buddy!

By Mozz, I'm guessing Mozzarella? Down in South Texas, Italian food ingredients are hard to find. Mexican cuisine are what they cater to.

We do have a place for whole milk Mozzarella, and buy 10 pounds at a time, when they have it. Get this it's Walmart..LOL..

I'm surprised I'm still "Magro" @ almost 62 years old... 6'3" @ 190lb

PaulG said:
Always a pleasure to see what you are doing, Giancarlo!

Your plants look great, very robust and healthy. Great to
see the pods coming along already! soon fresh peppers
to top your pizzas!
Thanks Paul!
Some rain here those days... Really really needed!

Devv said:
Plants and food look great buddy!

By Mozz, I'm guessing Mozzarella? Down in South Texas, Italian food ingredients are hard to find. Mexican cuisine are what they cater to.

We do have a place for whole milk Mozzarella, and buy 10 pounds at a time, when they have it. Get this it's Walmart..LOL..

I'm surprised I'm still "Magro" @ almost 62 years old... 6'3" @ 190lb
Thanks! Yeah, i meant Mozzarella. Here you can find mozzarella for pizza and often it's just lame. It's drier than standard mozzarella and that's comofortable... But taste worse and feel so cheap... Sometimes i buy it for bruschetta but still i prefer other cheese like Asiago or Provolone or many others...
Nice shape, i'm smaller and, after quarantine, more heavy. :rofl:

Before the virus crud, we would get a Picante Provolone from the grocery store. Boars Head sells it, and we like it sliced on .5 on the slicing machine.

That is some good cheese. And yes, unless it's whole milk Mozzarella, we no buy ;) 

Then there's Romano, no need for Parmesan if I can find Romano.

Now plants are kicking in, still a long way to go, but they've started.
I'm near to have my first chinense pod and it will be a Bhutlah Scorpion

viEhN9m.jpg

Hidalgo above and Tampiqueno below. Now those really want to set pods. Probably i'll taste some soon. I've not photographed broken plant that time but for sure is the most massive of the bunch!

This is the other broken plant, one calabrese:
cfCBRH4.jpg

It's on par with the other one.

rGvNAeb.jpg

Bhutlah scorpion chocolate. It's not the biggest but the best looking, compact, dense and healthy looking.

J9XwSgW.jpg

BTR from SLP. This is the one most "vertical" chinense. Looks just ok, i believe with heat it gets better.

xoNA5Hb.jpg

Overwinter rocoto... For sure looks good... But i'll forgot pods that year... At least i hope to take a good macro of some flower sooner or later.

I made a small hike at Nuvolau from passo Giau... Damn, i'm so out of shape... I've walked hikes much harder with less effort. 

LiDfVIs.jpg

Sight form passo Giau. This is probably the second most iconic and most photographed view of Dolomiti (maybe shot a bit wider), after Tre Cime di Lavaredo... We arrived at the peak of the mouintain of the photo (of course from behind, not climbing) then returned with another trail, forming a nice ring.

tYCV2Jb.jpg

5 Torri revisited, always look good.

D6z9rNT.jpg

Lastoni di Formin... I always end posting a photo of this... Sooner or later i'll go there. 

Now we can freely roam on our region... I really can't complain about mine.

6piVwKL.jpg

Last pizza made, now that was good. Margherita plus marinated onion (with evo, salt and black pepper) plus 'nduja. Grated pecorino romano on top. Some oregano. Now 'nduja and onion is one of the very best combo you can have in pizza imho. And i dare say that was well executed.

Bad photo of the day:
b16Hc3M.jpg

Bad because on real it looked much more "red", more tomato like (even if there was not tomato) and just better. Bucatini with 'nduja, pecorino romano and pepato siciliano. That's a proper chile head dish.

About bread i've made some other really bad attempts... I just need to figure out some stuff... I've bought a book called Open Crumb Mastery, it's really a pleasant read and analyzes well many factors... While pointing out that the author is not the holder of truth and you need lots of practice. Useful and honest too, insight is good to see what i'm doing wrong, but to do thing right... Practice is needed. For sure i'm understanding more and more how much "casually" i'm handling dough even for pizza (it doesn't speak about pizza but some stuff still applies).

Devv said:
Before the virus crud, we would get a Picante Provolone from the grocery store. Boars Head sells it, and we like it sliced on .5 on the slicing machine.

That is some good cheese. And yes, unless it's whole milk Mozzarella, we no buy ;)

Then there's Romano, no need for Parmesan if I can find Romano.
Yes, provolone piccante or dolce is good! Pecorino Romano is probably the best cheese to spice up a dull pasta dish. I've never eaten Parmigiano that much but just because here is the land of Grana Padano... That's a bit cheaper than Parmigiano but still an excellent cheese. Asiago and Grana are the "default" cheese here. If you say cheese those 2 comes to mind above all others.

Good to see you're out and about again.

We live 1.5 miles down a road with 4 homes on it, very little auto traffic. So, we walk almost everyday, a few miles, and we keeping increasing the distance.

Great exercise, but we don't have the beautiful scenery you have. You lucky!

A calabrese died... I don't know if it could not stand the rain or what... And it was not the broken one, that is doing fine...

Chinense are showing somethin, all plants have at least one pods. There are no superproducers but neither plants that won't do anything, and that's good.

j4N7Aof.jpg

Bhutlah Scorpion

AjAB3a4.jpg

The other Bhutlah Scorpion

e4tpGFr.jpg

Bhutlah Scorpion Chocolate

rIb9OUW.jpg

BTR SLP

fW48kii.jpg

Apocalypse Chocolate

Also i had a decent harvest:

8XMy21g.jpg

On left Tampiqueno, on right Hidalgo

Jqu9U0i.jpg

2 left Tampiqueno, then Hidalgo

Hidlago pods seems easier to get, Tampiqueno pods looks like they struggled a bit. Now hot is coming so next harvest we'll see. They are similarly thick walled.
I cant speak about heat and taste yet.
I had ann heat theme based dinner with friends in the woods and i used those for that:

horIVmn.jpg

I made also 2 pizzas so it was a busy day...
On one pizza i used Reaper-Scorpion puree... The result has been 2 people cursing at me in a minute! :rofl:

Today i used those flowers and some others:
3Kwrk1f.jpg

To do that:

67CAIK6.jpg

I was not sure about yeast so i modified a bit the recipe... In the end batter was really airy and cooked in no time, maybe a tad undercooked but at least not oily...

CaneDog said:
Wow, your posts really check all the boxes, Essegi!  Good to see you're getting out and enjoying the outdoors.  The weather looks fantastic.

Also good news that the broken peppers are doing so well.  It was definitely worth the effort to save them.   :thumbsup:
Thanks! Broken ones turned to be better than others!

Devv said:
Good to see you're out and about again.

We live 1.5 miles down a road with 4 homes on it, very little auto traffic. So, we walk almost everyday, a few miles, and we keeping increasing the distance.

Great exercise, but we don't have the beautiful scenery you have. You lucky!
Thanks! Yeah, those mountains are really beautiful, still they take 2-3 hours of car to reach.

Wow, a lot to cover, Giancarlo!

First off, the Hidalgo and Tampiqueño look like
awesome plants. And a nice harvest of early
pods, to boot!

OW Rocoto looks really good, as well. Nice and
bushy, healthy looking foliage.

I’ll not sure what I like better, your pics of the Dolomites
or your pics of pizza and pasta. The zucchini blossom disn
looks so scrumptious. Wish I could live with you  :rofl: those
bacon-wrapped pods don’t look too shabby either. I had
to laugh at your comment about the scorpion purée pizza!

In general, your c. chinense look so much better than mine.
our cool rainy weather is giving way to hot (92F tomorrow)
weather and a stretch of mid-80F temps after that. That
means any flowers will drop, and no pods have set during
this time when flowering should have been intense. So
frustrating, but I am happy to see your plants looking so good,
and setting pods! Question, what is the BTR from Semillas
la Palma?

Keep up the good work, brother!

Thanks Paul! You are way too kind!
Not having aphids helped btw!
I don't undertand why the biggest plant (a Bhutlah Scorpion, the first chinense born) now it's the smallest...
OW Rocoto looks the best and is settings some buds... Way too late. I need years of 20 months for that one.

Heat is really coming, it has been a cold June until now: https://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/mtg_09.html

With BTR i mean Butch T Reaper Scorpion. It really seems a killer one.

Back