• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil European Soil Q

Hi guys,

This year, I'd like to concentrate more on the soil, as last year's results weren't that good as I hoped for.

Therefore, I'd like to ask the European members about the available soil/potting mixes from Composana, Garri, and the brands from BricoStore, OBI, Praktiker, Auchan, Tesco, etc.

Compost and cow manure is readily available here, as well as perlite. There are countless soil mix varieties available here, but they can be very expensive - think of 20 bucks for 3 gallon - so I'd like to mix my own.

Ideas? (I checked the sticky, did searches, but I need more specific and brands from the states :))

Thanks!

Hi Bence,

I simply use the cheapest potting mix available, at Leroy Merlin, 2.5 euro for a 40 kg bag. Is compost based (pretty fibery because of the wood chips) and has manure mixed in. It works great. The moisture stays in maybe a little too good, and I have lost up to now 2 babies because of rot. I do however have the impression that the nitrogen contents might be a little high, because the sproutlings are very leggy.

Back