• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ever hear of CRAWMPOSTING?

Probably not. I just made it up. But the idea has been kicking around in my head for a few of months now. Today I finally put the parts together, and I figured this would be the place to air out the concept, while I'm actually running the experiment at the same time. I may be bat-spit crazy to try this, but with some dead, cabin-fever-ridden time before next year's plantings I've got to do something, yeah?

The basic idea is a variation on vermicomposting, only with crayfish. They will live in a plastic tub next to my apricot tree, and irrigation water will go into the tub rather than directly onto the ground (where it's going now). Overflow from the tub goes onto the ground, and this should provide a daily (or whenever the irrigation system runs) dose of nitrates and other nutrients from whatever waste the crayfish are pooping into the water. Here's the layout. I drilled a 3/4" hole near the bottom of a big plastic storage tub. The drainage was a 1/2" PVC 90° adapter (slip on one side, threaded male on the other), a conduit lock nut, and a PVC straight coupling (threaded female on one side, slip on the other). Basically the lock nut and the female side of the 90° coupling sandwich the wall of the tub, and I used silicone to seal it.
crawmposting1.jpg
crawmposting2.jpg
crawmposting3.jpg
crawmposting4.jpg

On the inside of the tub, the slip side of the 90° coupling points up. By inserting a short piece of pipe I can put the overflow level nearer to the top of the tub. Fill it with water, overflow goes into the top of the pipe and out. I cut a couple of windows into the tub's lid, put it in position and filled it with H2O. Yup. pretty much the way I planned. I had already dug a 6" wide by 12" deep hole near the base of my apricot tree and filled it with gravel--this would be where the nitrogen-rich overflow would go. I had to cut some smallish roots to make the hole, but I figure the tree will recover no prob.
crawmposting5.jpg
crawmposting6.jpg

I'm letting the water age a bit while I track down some crustaceans. One problem with crayfish is that they don't tolerate high densities--they start to rip each other apart. It helps to give them some hiding spots (I put some broken terracotta pots at the bottom). I figure I'll start with a dozen. They'll increase their numbers if they're well fed. One benefit is that they are definitely better-eating than red wrigglers. I figure I can cull the larger, more territorial ones every once in a while to throw in the pot.
crawmposting7.jpg

I plan on feeding the crayfish with snails and slugs from my (untreated) garden. I also fish a lot, and I'll let the crayfish pick away at the skeletons after I fillet out my catch. I think I can also feed them frozen corn and peas, too.

Whaddya think?

I think it will be a stinky mess! :lol:

Having said that if it works it will be uber cool! Best of luck mate. :)

Not sure how effective it will be, but I know a guy here setup the same situation using fish and had great results. I have always used my fish tank water to feed my plants since I have to do water changes in the fish tank anyway and they love the high nitrogen warm water.

Update. We were buying some bugs for a lab today and I got to pick out some potential broodstock. I'm told the smaller, bluer ones come from the Sacramento delta, and I'm guessing the larger red ones are the standard variety originally imported from Louisiana and widely used for bait and for seafood. I have to do some research to ID my crayfish now.
crawmposting8.jpg

If one species or the other is known to tolerate higher population densities, I'll go with that one. In they go to their new home.
crawmposting9.jpg

Tossed in a handful of frozen peas to tide their hunger tonight. I'll go try to find them some slugs tomorrow morning.

its a really cool idea. Aquaponics does well with a lot of varieties of fish, so why not try :) so where do you have the overflow plumbed? routed along rows for your plants?

this shoudl be an intersesting one to keep up with :) best of luck... Ill be watching :)

its a really cool idea. Aquaponics does well with a lot of varieties of fish, so why not try :) so where do you have the overflow plumbed? routed along rows for your plants?

this shoudl be an intersesting one to keep up with :) best of luck... Ill be watching :)
thanks.

It's just one tub set up to receive the same water that would be bubbled onto my apricot tree when the sprinklers go on. I dug a 12" deep, 6" wide hole near the base of the tree and filled it with gravel, and I set up the tub to flow into this pit that irrigates and feeds just one tree.

I figure that out in the veggie garden where the peppers grow there will be too much direct sun and the water will heat up too much. Out in the open I'd need some kind of aeration to keep the crayfish alive during the summer. Once a fruit tree leafs out, it will be shady enough to keep the bugs happy (I hope).

Do you know if they require any type of specific conditions to survive or just a container of fresh water?? Please let know what strain you go with. I may set something up in an old container on my patio to use for fishing!! Bass just LOVE them and your almost always going to get one over fake lures!!

Do you know if they require any type of specific conditions to survive or just a container of fresh water?? Please let know what strain you go with. I may set something up in an old container on my patio to use for fishing!! Bass just LOVE them and your almost always going to get one over fake lures!!

My experience with crayfish is that they're not picky at all about their living conditions, but they don't let their numbers get too dense. In a patio tub, you might be able to keep a few for "candy bait," but if you need a couple of dozen each time you go fishing you're better off buying them at the bait store. Also, freshwater bass like the little green ones (in my experience), and the big red ones are mostly good just for breeding and eating. I don't do much fishing for largemouth, but I have heard of them being used in saltwater for kelp bass and sheepshead (in California). Nice thing about this is that these fish will eat the big red ones, no prob.

After a bit of research it seems like the two most likely candidates for my mudbugs are the red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii and the white river crayfish Procambarus zonangulus. Both have been introduced outside of their native ranges in the southern U.S. but the red swamp crayfish has a longer history of introduction by humans to wherever humans live, and they have established populations throughout the US and also abroad. I'm guessing at least the red ones in my tub are P. clarkii, maybe the drab ones too.

Another good reason for my keeping a culture is that we use a few of these things every semester in our classes, and they're getting harder and harder to find in local bait stores. It's not always feasible to send our lab associates out to trap crayfish in drainage ditches.

Two-day update: no one has been killed yet, but there is about zero activity as far as I can tell. They're all hiding under the pottery and leaves. I sliced slivers off a piece of frozen sockeye and they're still down there together with four bits of dog kibble and some frozen peas. Water temp is 49°F--that's probably the reason. I might not see too much action until things start to warm up.

Oh, well. I can still work on prepping the beds and containers for next years peppers.

Thanks for the tips. I have an 180 gallon tank that I may use outside on the patio since I can't find anyone that wants to buy it and I don't have room for it inside after I move. Do you think that would be enough room for a few hundred? I don't bass fish often, but I would imagine using around 6-12 each trip and I do fish the kelp beds from time to time for Calico's. I read they work great if you just fly line them and let them float down in the kelp as long as you have at least 65lb braid.

Thanks for the tips. I have an 180 gallon tank that I may use outside on the patio since I can't find anyone that wants to buy it and I don't have room for it inside after I move. Do you think that would be enough room for a few hundred? I don't bass fish often, but I would imagine using around 6-12 each trip and I do fish the kelp beds from time to time for Calico's. I read they work great if you just fly line them and let them float down in the kelp as long as you have at least 65lb braid.
"a few hundred" I doubt. they would kill each other and their babies before it ever got that thick. I keep hearing how the calicos love 'em, but I haven't tried this myself. I once caught an 8 lb. calico with a lobster antenna sticking out of its side. There was a lot of scar tissue around the wound, so it was not something that just happened--there had been quite a bit of healing already, but the big antenna was still sticking straight out the side of the fish! Point being, they love crustaceans.

I used to breed Crystal Red Shrimp CRS in small tanks several years ago and I had separate tanks for the berried females and dividers to keep the large ones away from the smaller ones. Maybe i'll try something like that if I get a setup going. I heard they are aggressive and probably a lot more than shrimp, but if they start eating each other at least I won't have to feed them as much lol.

Do you have pics of the bass??? That's pretty crazy!! I read they eat small crabs and shellfish, but didn't think they would go after lobsters! I guess they haven't learned to chew before you swallow hahaha

no on the pic. it was in the days before cell phone cameras. I wanted to release the fish, but back then the deckhand (a friend of mine) just laughed and stuck it with the gaff.

Water was getting dingy and I hadn't seen any near the surface all day yesterday--I feared for the worst and drained the tub. There were three dead ones, but the rest were fine.

One thing for sure is that they don't want to eat. I put in the backbone of a little sand base I filleted this morning and they didn't touch it. They also haven't touched the little pieces of wild sockeye salmon (primo stuff) I threw in there earlier. Must be the water temp.

CRS shrimp look pretty crazy. Did you rear them to use for hook bait?

Did you treat the water for ammonia first or have some type of established biological filter? The good part about my setup is the tank is already stable so I shouldn't have any problem keeping the water VERY clean and healthy with my existing filter.

Back