• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ever use 10000k bulbs for peppers?

Found out tonight that my light bulbs are 4100k. Prolly why my seedlings are not in a hurry to veg. Anyway saw some 10000k lights for my T8 fixture. Will 10000k be okay or too much. They are suppose to sim the mid day tropical sun.

I dunno??? There was a topic in grow tech about light spectrum and peppers, you should look it up. I use mostly 6500k...and a few 5000k. Your 4100k's aren't too low to do some good, but I sure don't think you need the 10000k's.

lol...

Here is the light topic...
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25876-article-light-101/

Not T8 but at the moment I am using some 10 000K LEDs combined with some Blue ones and the first test look like the seedlings like them.
Later they get 6500k Bulbs

Greetings

Alexander

This is a common subject isn't it? maybe somebody needs to make a guide and Sticky it...
Said guide should cover:
  • CFL's
  • T5/T8
  • LEDs
  • HPS
  • MH
  • Color Spectrum
  • Lumens
  • Reflective Material
  • Growth cycle dependence on color (or lack of)
Millwork... I challenge you :P
I know we tell people to use the search, but to be honest the Search here isn't... as good as google
:shh:

Stupid me its in GROW TECH derp, Shane linked it 2 threads up :facepalm:

Okay since millworkman will not comment and he has shown me the light!!!

Peppers are light neutral. The temperature, colour, or amount of light does not affect the growth/bloom phases of the plant.

Well light duration to a certain extent but they will grow the same on 12 hours of light a day as they do on 24 hours of light. That temperature will not affect growth either. the 10000k Bulbs will create a very blue spectrum and if you want something that makes your plants look like it does outside then just go for 6500K but otherwise what you have now will work the same as a 10000K bulb would.

Peppers are light neutral. The temperature, colour, or amount of light does not affect the growth/bloom phases of the plant.

I can not agree on that. It is right that Peppers light neutral are but that means that they do not need special day lenght to indicate the blooming process.
The other factors on the other hand have a significant effect on peppers. If there is not enough light at a warm temperature then your plant will get leggy. If diffrent color peaks are there it will effect the habitus of pepper plants. Diffrent capsicum species will react diffrent to diffrent color temperature.

Okay since millworkman will not comment and he has shown me the light!!!

Well light duration to a certain extent but they will grow the same on 12 hours of light a day as they do on 24 hours of light. That temperature will not affect growth either. the 10000k Bulbs will create a very blue spectrum and if you want something that makes your plants look like it does outside then just go for 6500K but otherwise what you have now will work the same as a 10000K bulb would.
This isn't exactly true. It is true that light cycle does not dictate flowering/budding to peppers. They can grow, flower and fruit in an 8hr or 24 hr cycle. However, I challenge you to grow two plants with everything else equal under an 8 hr cycle and one under a 12 or 16 hr cycle and see which one grows more. I do agree there is a threshold at which any more light is just wasted. 12-14 hrs is what I run. You could also compare one under a 2700k bulb, one under a 6500k and one under a 10000k see which one does best. I actually have a good grow shelf for this experiment and am considering it...but it will have to wait 'till all my starts are outside. I have seen the results of what happens when folks buy used grow lights from the 420 community and get crappy results until they realize their bulbs are low spectrum. Replace them with the 6500's and BAM! Should be a fun tinkering experiment later in the season...if my lazy azz ever gets around to it.

I can not agree on that. It is right that Peppers light neutral are but that means that they do not need special day lenght to indicate the blooming process.
The other factors on the other hand have a significant effect on peppers. If there is not enough light at a warm temperature then your plant will get leggy. If diffrent color peaks are there it will effect the habitus of pepper plants. Diffrent capsicum species will react diffrent to diffrent color temperature.
This I can agree on as my seedlings are leggy and/or slow to grow. That's why I decided to investigate. I bought the bulbs before I learned about grow lights and what not.

I was just wondering about the 10000k because I was not having luck finding T8 lights in 24 in in my area and was trying to avoid S/H if I could. I think Petcsmart and Petco had the 10000K in 24 in so it is an option. Thought I would just leave one of the 4100k in and just put in one 10000k to kinda even it out to maybe around oh 7-8000k?

Go to Lowes or HD or Walmart and get some cheap ones. You do not need to spend 10 bucks on a single bulb for peppers.

That's the best advise yet! My local bulk store has them for $4.97 per six 75w equivalent 6500k CFL's Little on the smallish side, but when used in bulk they are working well for me! Bottom line is I dunno if the 10000 bulbs will work, but I do know that 6500s work...and they're cheap, so I use them! Shopping around almost all the 10000 floros are straight tube and spensive. My light setup only cost maybe $35 bucks and I am running two shelves. Don't forget lumen output is important too. Alabama Jack had some formula he used to figure out lumen per square inch that he swore by. He hasn't been on in a while, but you could look at his grow log from last year and I think he covers it in there...

for growth stay in the 6500 lumens they can bloom and bud under this but you should pinch them off anyways. I dont know when your plant out is but mine is typically after Mothers day so I dont worry about the bloom or pod lighting. There are several light spectrum threads I believe Omri put a well detailed one out a while back.

For what it's worth, my CFLs are 5000k and I had not problem at all with getting my plants to grow at a good rate and stay compact. I use 6 5000k (1600 lumens each) CFLs in a 3x2x3 space.

I've got 4 types of peppers growing in 2 heated indoor tents. Soil and NFT. The best results that I've got are to start the seedings under 2x55W long CFL bulbs until they start to flower, and then transfer them up into the upper tent area where there is a 430Watt HPS bulb with 58000 lumens. The Tepin peppers flower in incredible numbers. The Jolokias make tons of flowers, the Cayanne peppers don't care, and flower and make peppers under almost any light conditions as long as they are getting 18 hours of light, and the Chocolate Habanero's are 3/8 " thick, leafy, and flower like all gettout! Temperature is regulated at 22-29 C, and NFT is used with GHE nuts. Soil is Cellmax, which is not good for germination, (too much peet) but once they are mature enough for the soil, CELLMAX is the king of soils and the peppers are happy. I'm very happy with 430 Watts of HPS with the NFT. I had to move the light further away finally, because they got a bit sunburned, but wow, tremendous growth and strong flowering. I recommend using HPS (High Pressure Sodium) (a bit in the red spectrum) for the whole growth cycle indoors in the winter. The new HPS + 5% MH mix bulbs work ok too, but I didn't see any need what so ever for the extra expense. A digital balast that can run at 200W, 250W 400W and then 430W was perfect for the whole thing. Next year I might go with the 600W setup just for the extra lumens at the end of the pepper cycle, where they like more light when they start to turn color and mature.
I keep daily EC and PH and Temp logs, and regular leaf size notes, and water changes when the PH becomes too unstable. That's what I've learned with the lighting. The more the merry-er . A 200W CFL for the wild Tepins does work, but the number of flower sites is much lower than under the HPS.
I hope that shines a bit of light on the lights for indoor winter garage peppers. Pics are available if someone wants a peak at the setup.
Hotty-Brown

Well wifey was able to find one 6500k T8 light today at a pet store. I'll go back on the weekend to get another one when they get more in. I guess since my state just made weed legal its getting harder to find lamps and such around here. I'll then put some mylar up and the little guys should be more inclined to put on some weight.

FIYA - you should be able to find them at Home Depot or Lowes - they are daylight flouro's - If Im not mistaken T12's fit in the T8 lights too -

FIYA - you should be able to find them at Home Depot or Lowes - they are daylight flouro's - If Im not mistaken T12's fit in the T8 lights too -
LD thanks for the info. I didn't know T12 will fit in T8 fixtures being a noob. I saw several 6500k T12 lights in 24 inches.

Back