• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Experiment: not a pizza, not a stromboli, not a calzone. It was good, so who cares?

Or maybe it's just the thing that here we call "torta salata" (salted pie).
I had a party for a birthday but i was invited too late to buy a present cause for some issues yesterday i couldn't exit home so i made that as a temporary gift...
To be honest i just seized the opportunity to try some dough on slower cooking because i like better superhots when they are cooked for long (ok, maybe longer than here, but could do).
Recipe used (aka: do what you can to finish flour bags), more o less:
265g manitoba
85g whole flour
250 durum wheat
16g evo
13g salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
7g beer yeast
500g water

Now that's a lot of yeast but i thought i had my reason... After 23hours of fridge it has risen too much... I had to form balls. After 14 hours of fridge balls have risen too much, i had to reform then. After 3 hours of weather temp balls still have risen way too much:
IMGP1378_zpsemfjuiej.jpg

Tripled or quadrupled size and opened container...

So i strechted dough, and topped with:
homemade tomato passata, 250g mozzarella, some homemade pesto (like 2 or 3 tablespoons), grated pecorino romano, grated grana padano, oregano.
Sorry, no pic of that.
Stretched the other ball, covered with some evo:

IMG_20160703_141732052_zpsbtcmp7hn.jpg

Cooking: 230°C for 30 minutes.

IMG_20160703_150042243_zpsfdgz6jcj.jpg

IMG_20160703_145125717_zpsssfjgbdj.jpg

IMGP1380_zpsulcx8v33.jpg

IMG_20160703_171159321_zps63s5ra7o.jpg

Very successful experiment!

Ironically just at a a place that has stuffed focaccia called ciccio.

Around where I live we call those "zombies". No clue why. Haven't actually seen one made in awhile though. Mostly seen it as a cafeteria food, because it's easy to make them on a larger sheet pan.

Back