Export laws?

I have read a few people discuss the disappointing letter that customs sends when they snatch your seeds.  Have also read a few people who said they got their paperwork to import seeds.  Has anyone looked into what it takes to export seeds?  Is it the buyers responsibility or the sellers?

Might be a scam, but have someone in Russia who claims interest in wholesale seed stock.  I say might be a scam because their email address is not at the url of their Russian site.  On the other hand, very often the .ru extension on an email address gets flagged as spam.  Mainly because usually it is spam.

Now I think it would be way, way, way cool for my seeds to be sold in Russia.  But ya know, I keep thinking about the evening news and thinking what the hell am I getting myself into.

Oh I can not wait for this conversation with my guy from the Department of Agriculture.  So what do you want to do now?  I wanna sell seeds to Russia.  Coffee is going to go out his nose.

Probably the same guy that posted this thread in Forum ads ( http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45204-i-buy-pepper-seeds/ )

AS Don Lava posted in the responses ( http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45204-i-buy-pepper-seeds/?p=951901)  Russia has enacted some pretty strict import laws that do not allow importing of many items into the country legally ( and seeds of all types are on the Fedex list he posted) - thus creating some money making opportunities for those that can find ways around the laws. ( if they can get someone to illegally send the product they can resell them at a fairly large profit since no one else can import them - keeps supply low so demand is higher and selling price can be higher.)

I'd suspect that since Russia is the one blocking the import it would not matter if you had US approval to send them as they still will not be allowed to go into Russia and chances are the seeds would be confiscated and you'd lose out as the guy would not want to pay for something he did not receive and trying to collect would be impossible since it is known you can not legally send them so doubtful any charge back would be found in your favor.

Buyer's or Seller's responsibility - Law aside, what would you think if you ordered an item and paid for it and US Customs confiscated it? I bet you'd be pretty pissed if the seller told you it wasn't his problem, especially if he kept the money, saying he sent what you ordered, therefore the money is his. The Golden Rule applies if you are a conscientious person. Laws not aside, are you ready for a penalty if you're caught doing illegal business?

I'd agree with geeme - Figure as a business person there is probably more of an expectation that you would know and follow the laws than there is on a buyer of your products (which is probably why most of the other seed companies he has already contacted have refused to send him anything due to the restrictions his Govt has in place. ) - And even if you did get paid and explained the possibility that he may not receive the package - if he decides to file a grievance with his credit card company they would probably find in his favor as a business should be aware of the restrictions and may give him a charge back even months later if the package is seized.

Personally, I just don't think it would be worth the effort for the small amount of profit that you might make.

dragonsfire said:
Why would seeds be illegal to send? Plants I understand.
I could only think of some conspiracy lol

Certain diseases, bugs etc. can be carried in the infected seeds and certain crops that are not native can cause problems with native crops if they spread after being planted  - Even the US has restrictions on importing of some types of seeds.

See this article from Michigan State University 

( http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/seed_transmitted_diseases_its_time_we_had_the_std_talk )

Seed transmitted diseases: It’s time we had the STD talk

Dragonsfire, ran into two Canadian seedmen here at THP.  Bother were very friendly.  I do not remember either name. I think one was True North something.  The other, I completely forget.  Hoping someone will chime in with the names cause they seemed really nice.

geemee, knowing I need permission to import I would not be upset at all if my purchase was confiscated because I did not bother to follow the rules.  It is like getting a speeding ticket when you saw the speed limit sign. 

JDfan, I know it is important but very rarely think of profit.  Was in the military in the mid 80s, peak of cold war.  It would be so very cool to sell something I grew to Russian Chili Heads. 

Hottody, yep I grow woad and sell it locally a Highlander games, Scottish events, and the likes.  I warn folk that if they are traveling to another state, it is often illegal to bring the plant or seed.  They almost always ask if it gets you high.  Figuring you are aware of things like cutzu (or how ever you spell it), there is a very real reason to worry about such things.  Hell, between morning glory and pig weed I hate First Lady Roosevelt who brought the crap here.  What do they call cutzu?  The weed that ate Georgia.  Damn.

Thanks !
Some nice stuff on their to add to my collection :)
I know how nasty some of the non native plants are, the UK is infested from the Victorians and now with Global warming those plants have become even more of a hazard.

Thank you Dogman, yes PepperNorth.com was one of them.  Now can anyone remember the other, or maybe others.  I just remember very nice person from Pepper North is a member here and another from Canada but can not remember name.

ajdrew said:
Thank you Dogman, yes PepperNorth.com was one of them.  Now can anyone remember the other, or maybe others.  I just remember very nice person from Pepper North is a member here and another from Canada but can not remember name.
Thanks for the kind words guys.

AJ, I think the other you are thinking of is Mark at SuperHotsCanada.

Back