• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Extending the growing season.

I am sure there are other growers in growing zones 4,3,2,1 that have some tips on getting some more time out of their growing season. The trouble with where I live is frost. I can have frost until the end of May and starting again in early September.

Some people overwinter their plants. They dig up their plants, trim them down, and then grow them indoors.

I would focus on starting seeds indoors early and putting out large, well developed plants as early as possible. If you put out good sized plants you can get a nice harvest even if you only have June, July, and August for warm weather. If you're growing in the ground you can lay black fabric mulch early in the spring to warm the soil. If growing in pots you can shuffle the plants inside during the cold nights at the end of the year.

You could also use row covers to keep the plants warm during the early Spring and/or fall. You could also try overwintering like shigshwa said. Lots of options, but I would begin with starting seeds early and growing them inside a little longer than people in warmer climates might.

I think it depends on how ambitious your grow is. I bought an inexpensive ($300US) greenhouse kit from One Stop Gardens via Harbor Freight about 4 years ago for general garden use. With a little forced air fan space heater I can put plants out in early Spring and keep the temp in low 40's on freezing nights. Our 90% frost date is May 10 (50% April 21). Same holds true in Fall - plants in pots up to 5 gallons can be moved in there to extend the growing season. I grew Romaine Lettuce and Spinach in there all winter long through some freezing spells and snow. Here are some photos and more info you can check out. I think it was money well spent:

http://www.thehotpep...greenhouse-6x8/

http://www.thehotpep...-northwest-usa/

I have been reading about overwintering, but I grow a lot of peppers. Overwintering 100+ plants is out of the question. I really don't have any where in my house to keep pepper plants inside anyways. Let's hear some other ideas.

I have been reading about overwintering, but I grow a lot of peppers. Overwintering 100+ plants is out of the question. I really don't have any where in my house to keep pepper plants inside anyways. Let's hear some other ideas.
With a grow that size you wouldn't be able to keep them all going, but a few prized ones should be possible...then start as early as you can with the new ones. I kept a few overwinters in a southern window and they did great. You could always move south!

You should really pic Spicy Chicken's brain...here is a link to his grow in Wisconsin last year...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/25934-spicy-chickens-2011-grow-pictorial-history/page__fromsearch__1

Wow Spicy Chicken does some awesome stuff! I have grown my plants with black plastic and black landscaping fabric. The trouble with using them has been the deer. We have a lot of deer in my area and they walk all over the plastic or fabric and poke holes in it. The black plastic turned into about a million little pieces which was not fun to pick out and the fabric got shredded from me and my family and the deer walking on it. Both of those things get expensive.

Wow Spicy Chicken does some awesome stuff! I have grown my plants with black plastic and black landscaping fabric. The trouble with using them has been the deer. We have a lot of deer in my area and they walk all over the plastic or fabric and poke holes in it. The black plastic turned into about a million little pieces which was not fun to pick out and the fabric got shredded from me and my family and the deer walking on it. Both of those things get expensive.
That's why they make .308 rounds...or if in the city limits Muzzy Broadheads!

No shooting guns or bows allowed where I live.

That's why the bow!!! Shhhhh....its the perfect crime! There are some deer repellents, but when you have a deer problem in town often they have already overcome the fear of whatever smells you are introducing to chase them off. So aside from a 10ft fence or a shorter one with some dogs in it...you are probably stuck with them. Even with some holes in it, The black plastic will help warm the soil early for you, so hoofmarks or not, its probably the way to go.

You can gain growing season on both ends with some PVC and plastic film over it. (like a cheapo greenhouse.)

Heres some options to consider. Get creative to meet your space in the garden, sun angle, etc.
LowTunnels-Quick Hoops--Mother Earth

Something a little fancier, but can be built to your specs and finances:
enclosed structure--Oregon State

Get some lights, start plants early and then try to figure out ways to keep them alive until you can safely get them outside... :cool:

Back