• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Extending the Growing Season

After an early-July disaster involving a mislabelled fertilizer that nearly killed all my plants, everyone recovered nicely.  But now it's almost September and I'm just starting to get the hot-and-heavy flowering I would have otherwise had going on by mid July.  I've harvested only a few dozen pods in total, from a few dozen plants, and am really bummed that the 8 months of love and work I've put into these plants will have gone to waste.  

With an average first frost date 4-6 weeks off I'm looking at ways to extend the season enough to actually harvest something substantial.  I was thinking about constructing a poly tent to go over a whole section of my garden or just digging up the most pod-loaded plants and putting them in 5 gallon buckets in my sunroom until the pods ripen.

Any other ideas, or considerations about these approaches?  Anyone tried this or something similar and had success?

Have you considered moving them indoors under some lights for the winter? The intial setup has proven to be a bit costly (this will be my first time growing indoors, looks like the total will be around $250-$275), but from what I've read I should be able to keep my plants productive during the winter and they'll have a head start next spring, so I'd say the startup cost is worth it.

sreinhard88 said:
Have you considered moving them indoors under some lights for the winter? 

Yes, and I do plan on overwintering quite a few of them, but when I do I'll be chopping off a good amount of the plant  to compensate for the smaller root structure, colder temps, and less light, so I don't think ripening pods will be part of that same process, or possible for those particular plants.

Back